What's your average and how does it equate to your true ability?

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Please post your 2009 bowling average and tell us whether or not you believe it accurately reflects your true bowling ability.

217 at knox bowl, but honestly I believe that comes from knowledge more than ability and i believe that i am no more than a 190-195 average bowler on a challenging lanes condition.

averaged 190 on the Modifed Shark(44ft), Kegels boardwalk(35ft), Middle road (39ft) and a house shot(43ft i think). all can be found on Kegels website

bowled 12 weeks on each pattern...

subbed in a league in another centre for 4 weeks in a row and averaged 215(THS)

I avg 232 for 48 weeks on the same

Modifed Shark(44ft), Kegels boardwalk(35ft), Middle road (39ft) and a house shot (43ft)

After Berri I'd say I'm a solid 190 avg player on a grind

I averaged 195 for 123 games at Tenpin City Lidcombe. I'd say I should be in the 180s if i'm off a house pattern...

yeh i avg 186-190+ on my house pattern but on sports patterns im not to good about 160avg maybe lol i have ever only bowled at my center but im starting to tournys and stuff now it was a big learning curve on last sunday at xmas skins i went to 2 different sport patterns dead mans curse and 2009 man euro comp one i think it was.

230 avg over 135 games. On this true open shot, this is my true ability for what i do. Bowl 3 games a week and play a tourny maybe every 2 or 3 weeks.

Wayne,
What do you consider would measure ones 'true bowling ability'? There are always conditions that suit one person and not another, and even sport shots vary in the skills they require. What is the 'true ability' of a bowler who struggles on a 44' sport condition, but thrives on a 36' sport pattern, or vice versa?

Up until this year, I considered myself a scratch bowler. This year, I have bowled poorly overall - the 190ish I averaged at Aus Cup was a pretty fair indication of where I am at at the moment. Still averaging 214 in league, on a semi-open house shot (not particularly hard, but not a complete ditch either).

The problem with bowlers assessing their abilities is that most rarely get to bowl on a condition that tests their ability to repeat shots within narrow limits. We had one youth bowler come to Kirwan from a fair way away to get some practice on sport patterns because his local centre would not lay the patterns for him - This very talented young bowler struggled greatly simply because the comfort zone afforded him by his house shot has degraded his shotmaking ability without him even being aware of it. He went away planning to practice with plastic for a while to get his accuracy back.
Most people can't be bothered - any condition that doesn't give them half a lane to hit is not considered difficult, it is labelled as crap.
Back to the question - the bowler I mentioned above has far more 'ability' than I do, but right now, on either condition I laid I would chew him up and spit him out. If he bowled on those conditions all the time, I wouldn't bother lacing up.

More than almost any other sport, bowlers are products of their environments. That is just the way it is.

Not sure if there is a point hiding in that lot somewhere or not, to be honest.

Merry Christmas.

In our center, my average is about 198 give or take a few pins over 3 leagues. We are a wooden center sporting a century100 wicker. We wash 3 times a week, on our busiest days, the rest are just buffed. Needless to say our condition can be quite erratic not just between weeks, but between lane pairs as well.
I still love my center though, because (in my opinion) if you can deal with the inconsistancy, when you come accross consistant lanes, they are easilly scoreable. (there is a reason we have been the top country challenge team in our zone for 8 years running)

I'm happy to say my true average would be around mid 190's.

Averaged 207 for the season.

Used one ball, an old Violet Gargoyle for the entire season. I only bowl 3 games a week these days.

Hard to say what it all equates to really because the lane conditions we play under in this particular league are commonly known for being particularly harsh and not all that well maintained.
Oiled at 7:30am and has a whole day full of open play, glowzone, disabled leagues, the occasional tournament rolled on it before you even play on them.
Most often has footprints all down the lanes, arse prints all over the heads where kids have been spinning about on the oil, occasional bits food or chewing gum on the approaches, drink on floors now and then.
Lane conditions can either play like a piece of burnt toast or a complete flood (even on the pindecks), sometimes there appears to be more oil on the pindeck than the heads.
Most often it is extremely patchy, you know that's going to be the case so you just get on with it.
Basically, it's pot luck what you get. And that can be a good thing.

On the other side of the coin, I didn't really feel like I threw it all that well for parts of the season, just managed to grind out games when I felt I was struggling to get to that point.
I certainly noticed how much easier it was when I went to bowl in the weeknight leagues when I had a night off work though.

Horses for courses, I just bowl on whatever I'm given nowdays.

Averaged 207 for the season.

Used one ball, an old Violet Gargoyle for the entire season. I only bowl 3 games a week these days.

Hard to say what it all equates to really because the lane conditions we play under in this particular league are commonly known for being particularly harsh and not all that well maintained.
Oiled at 7:30am and has a whole day full of open play, glowzone, disabled leagues, the occasional tournament rolled on it before you even play on them.
Most often has footprints all down the lanes, arse prints all over the heads where kids have been spinning about on the oil, occasional bits food or chewing gum on the approaches, drink on floors now and then.
Lane conditions can either play like a piece of burnt toast or a complete flood (even on the pindecks), sometimes there appears to be more oil on the pindeck than the heads.
Most often it is extremely patchy, you know that's going to be the case so you just get on with it.
Basically, it's pot luck what you get. And that can be a good thing.

On the other side of the coin, I didn't really feel like I threw it all that well for parts of the season, just managed to grind out games when I felt I was struggling to get to that point.
I certainly noticed how much easier it was when I went to bowl in the weeknight leagues when I had a night off work though.

Horses for courses, I just bowl on whatever I'm given nowdays.

We need some more people like this around....that despite the fact they know what there gonna bowl on isnt going to be the same from week to week, they deal with what they have been given on that night and not what it should be....

My average floats around 160 at home and i usually avg about 175 outside of my home center.

Richard

Finished the year with 220 but most likely a true 195- 200 as we had pretty friendly conditions a lot of the time. Managed to bowl to my average on occasions on harder patterns like Cheetah but usually struggled when the wetter patterns were laid.

I averaged 206 with a 14 lb ball in 2009 , just 1 league a week
For the previous 22 years i have averaged between 207 to 218 in
every centre in Sydney

League average is 219.

My experiences on flat patterns (and I mean 1:1 ratio patterns) have averaged about 190.

That's where I stand.

Finished the season on 222 for 120+ games.

Used 2 balls (Hammer Vibe and Hammer Burn) for the majority of the season. True average? Around 205... Can't spare, but didn't care when I averaged 7+ strikes a game. Bowled one tournament, finished 2nd averaging 220.

I got more satisfaction on the night when bowling in the 2 strongest leagues down here, where I shot 700+ when only 3-4 others shot 600. There was 2 nights, one where I shot 787 and one where I shot 803 and no one else cracked 630. Those were the nights where I actually felt like I achieved something.

I am now retired... If I do come back at some stage, it won't be with reactives. But with all the ditched up, bumper bowling for adult crap we have here (personally I don't reckon the techs here would know what a sport shot is...) would it make any difference?

I'm confused!! Though some may say that is a normal state for me, how could your average NOT reflect your true ability?

I'm confused!! Though some may say that is a normal state for me, how could your average NOT reflect your true ability?

Most centres these days lay a "house pattern" where the margin for error is huge. A 210+ ave on these conditions is common. Come out and bowl on a Tournament pattern or sports pattern (or somewhere like Morwell, Melton, Ringwood when it was around) and the margin for error is greatly reduced, and the averages go down accordingly. This is the average l believe reflects a truer ability, and this is what the "poster" of this topic may be referring to.

Most centres these days lay a "house pattern" where the margin for error is huge. A 210+ ave on these conditions is common. Come out and bowl on a Tournament pattern or sports pattern (or somewhere like Morwell, Melton, Ringwood when it was around) and the margin for error is greatly reduced, and the averages go down accordingly. This is the average l believe reflects a truer ability, and this is what the "poster" of this topic may be referring to.

True,some centres do have a open shot which helps with the averages,where i bowl its kind of a open shot,having said that throw it too wide and you get a washout,maybe you could call it a semi-ditch. Does hold in the centre of the lane providing you dont slow up on the shot. But theres only a handful of bowlers that average over 210 at Blacktown. And in my eyes they average 210 plus because there good bowlers and most of them have been around for a long time. Not every bowler is going to average over 200 on a house shot,so you still have to do something right to score well.
Also a lot of bowlers are not interested in bowling at other centres and bowling on sport conditions etc.. They just bowl in league and happy to have a high average even if it means the lane condition is helping.

Btw my average on a sport condition is around the high 190's

Back
Top Bottom