What promotes bowling better?

jonesy911

Mr no revs
Hey guys and gals I'm just curious on what everyone thinks promotes bowling best big scores or unique events? I ask this question because I stumbled across the 2012 women's us open and it was an outside event in Reno well at least the tv show was and I found it hard to watch at times. I know all the ladies are great bowlers but I believe this didn't show their abilities feel free to watch it on YouTube. Feel free to comment and tell me what you think.
Cheers Lewis

It did look a bit odd with the outdoor setting and wind blowing in their face!! Good on them anyways on giving it a go.

I am pretty sure a certain Mr. Rash will not be too keen to take part in such an event if a little bottle crumpling can throw him off his game... ;)

It's interesting, and does draw a crowd. The GEICO Team Challenge often have an outdoor event in there.

If you think this is odd. Go watch the Winter Classic in the NHL. They build an open outdoor ice rink and 2 NHL teams play for a trophy once a year. I went last year. Was awesome!

US Ladies open was the biggest balls-up of all time. Bowling is an INSIDE sport. They aren't going to move the US Golf open indoors are they... so why bowl outside.

Did nothing but make the ladies look bad in my eyes... who wants to watch plastic balls hook at their feet.

besides the fact it made the ladies look bad but they wouldnt think about doing it on the men's tour , why would you put the ladies outside? I've seen so many people mention why people don't take bowling seriously i think we should add that to this list.

The blokes are outside quite regularly

Not really, they did have a couple of the summer shootout's outside, but that's about it. This year's summer shootout was back inside, where it should be. Same goes for the ladies in the women's US open. They bowled all of their qualifying inside, then, the lucky ladies that made the cut, got to bowl on dirt. Awesome way to promote the sport... ... NOT!

Yes none of the important ones seem to end outside, but the baker teams challenge and the summer shootouts at the 6 flags resorts were outdoors... Mind u I think the 20mph wind was the biggest obstacle to the girls

And with all the preparation, and no doubt - publicity - it was an embarrasingly small audience, I thought. Agree with Androooo.

Fun events, or made for TV exibitions, I have no problems if they want to "showcase" bowling, by doing it somewhere different. There have been some good outside events in the past... At Six Flags, and I remember one back in NYC outside back in the late ninties.

Major events... forget it. Too many variables. In the case of the US Open... it was the wind blowing the crap over the lanes. On Missy Parkin's Facebook, there was some pictures of her plastic ball after the tournament... Looked like it had been sanded with 120 grit.

Something else to think about... A 2 lane construction outside to accommodate an event like that, would cost a shitload of money. Wouldn't it be better to put that money into the prizefund so the bowlers are actually bowling for some (half) decent cash?

Hey Androoooooo,

Would golf get televised if they were playing for $10k. Probably not. If you want more people playing you need pay a bigger purse. Then the TV will follow. But still, it is great for the ladies to get a great run on centre stage. And for once they could see the lane conditions.

TV PAID to get the golf on their channels... Thanks to Mr. Tiger Woods

Tiger came on the scene when TV contract were being negotiated... Notice the trend here? (Read the list from the bottom... I can't be bother re-formatting ;))

2005 - Tiger Woods, $10,628,024
2004 - Vijay Singh, $10,905,166
2003 - Vijay Singh, $7,573,907
2002 - Tiger Woods, $6,912,625
2001 - Tiger Woods, $5,687,777
2000 - Tiger Woods, $9,188,321
1999 - Tiger Woods, $6,616,585 (New TV contracts signed)
1998 - David Duval, $2,591,031
1997 - Tiger Woods, $2,066,833
1996 - Tom Lehman, $1,780,159 (Tiger turned pro in August)
1995 - Greg Norman, $1,654,959
1994 - Nick Price, $1,499,927
1993 - Nick Price, $1,478,557
1992 - Fred Couples, $1,344,188
1991 - Corey Pavin, $979,430
1990 - Greg Norman, $1,165,477

If TV was involved in the golf, they'd pay for the rights to show it... Does ESPN pay for the rights to show the PBA? Or does the PBA have to pay ESPN to show it?

The USBC Masters used to be bowled inside for all of qualifying and then moved to a baseball park for the finals. I cant remember the name of the arena but i remember both Danny Wiseman and Sean Rash winning in that environment and the idea is fantastic!, however, in Reno, in the middle of the desert, its a bit silly. At least in the stadium, you have the walls and the stands to block out all of the things like sand, dust etc, and the wind too.

The baseball stadium had a retractable roof that was closed both times it was held there

Really quite sad how some golfers in one year have made as much as Hall of Famers have in their whole career.

If TV was involved in the golf, they'd pay for the rights to show it... Does ESPN pay for the rights to show the PBA? Or does the PBA have to pay ESPN to show it?

The PBA & ESPN have a "profit sharing" agreement. Which means, in essence, the PBA are paying $$$ to ESPN to have their shows broadcast, and then ESPN go & put the PBA on up against the NFL juggernaut! Great value for the PBA...

I know that PBA bowling would nevere attract the $$'s we've seen from the AFL & NRL TV deals recently, but surely they must be able to get a network to pay them for the right to broadcast the PBA, rather than the PBA having to share profits with whatever network chooses to broadcast their shows...

Back
Top Bottom