Steve Mackie Still Promoting Bowling

Wal Brooker

Yesterday while browsing YouTube I came across a familiar aussie accent doing the commentry for the 'New Mexico Open Bowling 2007'.

After further investigation I discovered the commentry team for the event consisted of Steve Mackie, his wife Dana Miller-Mackie (one ot US's best ever women pro-bowlers) and her brother, former PBA star, Mike Miller.

My family has kept in contact with Steve since his move to the USA and I can report that after his split with AMF, a number of years ago, he puchased a somewhat 'run down' bowling centre in Alberqerie ( I think that's how you spell it) New Mexico.

Steve has turned this establishment into a thriving business to the extent it has recenty been 'revamped' and had ten new lanes added.

Those interested can check the place out at www.tenpins-more.com.

i bet AMF misses him & Australia too, he was the best thing for bowling, he had vision, enthusiasm & the greatest promoter of the sport, a great inspiration not happy with dana though beating me in the liverpool cup LOL:D

Dana could always keep the ball straighter than you Zambo! Hell, how do you think Hugh Miller (7-time PBA Titleist) felt? ;)

The N.S.W Tournament scene has never recovered from the departure of Steve Mackie from our shores. But then again who want's to be a tournament director these days . NSW Grand Prix Series GONE , SPC GONE to MELB . Lucky there are still a few independant open events to wet our appetite.

Steve Mackie contacted me yesterday less than 24 hours after my initial post. He asked me to send his best wishes to all his old mates on the aussie bowling scene.

Ever the promoter, he said any of our top bowlers (he partically mentioned Jason Belmonte) would be welcome in next years New Mexico open due for decision August 14-17.

Tournament Promoters should take a leaf out of Steve Mackie's book. I was not bowling when Steve was with AMF but have heard he was the best in the business.

New Mexico Open would be an awesome experience to play in.

I wish a lot of people were around in the 80's-90's to see the impact Steve Mackie had on tournaments. No-one will ever come close, ever. I was one of the lucky ones bought up in the St Leonards days, what great times we had. Guess who the manager was.Steve Mackie.
Lovey
I think I will write a book.

I guess the book of a lot of the Mackie era(as far as running tournaments and bowling centres goes) has been written. its in all those old Pin Actions!! Imagine if the mid-late 80's tourney scence had just kept growing like it did back then.....

Back
Top Bottom