Vic Bubniw passed away

Baz

Very sad news: Vic Bubniw passed away last night. Vic was one of Australia's greatest bowlers, representing Australia many times. Vic was known not only for his bowling prowess but his sartorial excellence.

Yes indeed very sad. I met Vic so many years ago it scares me. It was at the very early Sydney Cup events at the old St. Leonard's Bowl.

He was a member of a very strong Victorian team of guys that really enjoyed each other's mate ship.

More of a spectator than a bowler in those days, I really enjoyed watching Vic and his mates compete. R.I..P. Mr Bubniw.

He was part of Australian bowling history. A gentleman. Always immaculate. Dropped into Mentone Bowl early last year for a coffee. He had the best knee bend, flare trousers back then. He spoke about his Hawaiian Invitational where he competed against the American Pros. He wondered why his ball wasn't hooking, yet the pros were. He invested in the "super soaker" of the time - a Yellow Dot. The ball moved a couple of inches!
RIP Vic

This is won of the saddest days in bowling, Vic was one of the first "Superstars" of our sport. He was not only a great bowler but an even greater bloke with a huge personality. Vic was my idol growing up as he was to many bowlers, I am grateful for the lunches he would arrange so all the "old farts" could keep in contact. There will never be another Vic Bubniw, your gold jacket and flaired pants will live forever.

Rest in peace

The message I had posted here before was incorrect. I've just found out that Vic collapsed on Saturday at a shopping centre, and passed away Sunday night. Vic was a great bowler, a Hall of Famer and a proud Essendon supporter who loved his football. R.I.P. Vic ...... Dockers

Last edited:
That is very sad news.
I first met Vic in 1973 when competing in the South Pacific Classic which was bowled at Bankstown that year. My wife Sue and I were at Sydney airport and were looking for a cab to Bankstown when these two guys in gold Australian Tenpin blazers over heard us talking to the cabbie and asked if they could share the cab.
In 1973 I was only in my second year of bowling and so did not know many of the stars of our sport.
These two gentlemen introduced themselves as Vic Bubniw and Eric Thompson. I thought, wow, me sharing a cab with these two champions? How cool is that?
I will remember Vic not only being a great bowler but being very immaculate with everything he did. A very smartly dressed bowler in white flared slacks with red inserts at the ankle. Very cool.
R.I.P. Vic Bubniw.

Last edited:
Very sad news to hear about Vic he was a well respected member of our sport and a great sportsman,
Vic and my dad would have a great chin wag when they got together and we would all comment, two
true gentlemen having a natter and laugh at the control counter R.I.P. Vic

Very sad to hear the passing of Vic. One of the greats of the game. Enjoyed competing against Vic at the old St Leonards Bowl where I first met him at the Sydney Cup.
Will be missed.
Lovey

Always sad to hear. I still remember watching Vic as a kid. The big flared paints, running out a shot.

The good old days.

Rest easy Vic.

Vic Bubniw was truly one of the great people in bowling, he was a great bowler to watch but an even greater personality. So many memories of him going back to the 60's. He will always be remembered, RIP.

Back
Top Bottom