Vale John Dobson

Dear bowlers,

John's children Jane & Andrew have asked to me to advise those who want to send cards or other tributes in John's memory, can forward them to:-

Andrew Dobson
87 Hopkins Street
Moonah Tas 7009.

John was so much help to me when i was coming up through the junior ranks, he will be missed so much in the tasmanian community of bowling. My mother passes on her deepest sympathy to his family. He will alwasy be remebered

A very, very sad day indeed when I found out John had finally gone.
He was a tremendous worker for bowling, hard but fair, and always got the job done in a professional and dignified manner.
He gave a lot more to the sport than a lot of people realised from the local league level right the way through to National level.
John aside from bowling was also a mad-keen Magpie fan, both Collingwood and the Glenorchy Magpies in the TFL and later SFL, was a member, supporter and at times a sponsor of New Town-Glenorchy for over 60 years.
Knew John a long, long time. Bowled next to John the night I first bowled in the famous Sponsors League at Moonah when it was the biggest and best league in the state when I was just turned 14 and extremely toey, always had a calm word or two to keep me focussed.
Was standing with me in the pouring rain on the very sad day when the black & gold made their last appearance in the TFL after an association with top level state football that had stretched in one way or another back to 1908.
I remember clambering up the outside of the scoreboard and nicking the giant Hobart Tigers sign and quickly sticking it in the boot of John's big, grey Falcon only for us to get pulled up by the officials of the club who's ground it was demanding the sign back :p
Also have many memories of John putting in tremendous numbers of hours helping us fix up Strahan Street, which hadn't been painted inside or out since the start of WWII, spent many, many long hot summer days up the side of a scaffold working with John.
All great memories.

Vale John - Rest in peace

Matt Cramond

John's passing will be felt by the entire bowling community.

The display of emotions shown at the Tasmanian Hall of Fame dinner on Saturday night was a fitting tribute to a great contributor to the sport on both a National and State level, as was the speech given by John Phillips to induct John into our Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame itself was John's concept and came into being due to his persistence and enthusiasm for the idea.

Personally, I will miss his generous spirit and friendly face at tournaments and committee meetings - as well as the sometimes firey arguments I had with him along the way. His contribution to the sport on a whole cannot be underestimated.

RIP John - you will be truly missed.

Kassey.

Very sad news to hear of John's passing.

He will be deeply missed and always remembered.

Condolences to the Dobson Family.

RIP John

Brenda-Lee Carrall(Cox)

Dear bowlers,

John's daughter Jane and son Andrew have asked me to pass on to everyone their sincere thanks for the many tributes paid to their beloved father.

The many posts of condolences and appreciation of John’s many years of hard work and dedication to bowling have been very heart warming to them at this very sad time.

Please know that your kind thoughts have added to the proud memory that Jane and Andrew will forever have of their dad.

Back
Top Bottom