Kegals Founder and CEO John Davis Passes Away

Friday, January 25, 2013 – It is with great sadness that Kegel has to announce the passing of our founder and CEO, John M Davis, age 64, who passed away this morning at his home in Winter Haven, Florida. John was a very generous and compassionate man and absolutely loved the sport of bowling. He built a company around the principles of taking care others, no matter the cost. John leaves behind a legacy that will impact the sport of bowling and those who knew him forever. He will be sadly missed by his mother, wife, four brothers, three children, and six grandchildren, along with his extended family at Kegel and throughout the bowling industry.

VALE – JOHN DAVIS

With a combination of shock and sadness we received news this weekend of the passing of Kegel founder and CEO, John Davis.

Here is an excerpt from the announcement by the Bowling Proprietors' Association of America:

“John M. Davis passed away early this morning at his home in Winter Garden, Florida. He was 64.

In the announcement from Kegel, the company said John was a very generous and compassionate man and absolutely loved the sport of bowling. He built Kegel around the principles of taking care of others, no matter the cost.

John leaves behind a legacy that will impact the sport of bowling and those who knew him forever. He will be sadly missed by his mother, wife, four brothers, three children, and six grandchildren, along with his extended family at Kegel and throughout the bowling industry”.

These sentiments are echoed by many of us who had the privilege of knowing John as an associate in the sport, and friend.

My colleague from the World Bowling Writers Association, Keith Hale, shared his thoughts overnight in this tribute:-

“John was truly a lovely guy, so committed to the sport of bowling and … tilted at the many windmills when he saw the industry heading in the wrong direction.

For me, he was very much a pal. I am so pleased that World Bowling Writers was able to present him with the Mort Luby Jr. Distinguished Service Award and it was an honour for me to present that trophy at the WTBA World Championships in Malaysia.

His company, Kegel is, of course, the industry leader in lane maintenance - (integrally involved in R&D and responsible for lane maintenance at most World and Zone Championships, the PBA Pro Tour etc.) … thanks to his expertise and the dedication of his staff the European Bowling Tour has established itself as the world’s best.

There is an old saying that if you think you are indispensable, put your finger in a bowl of water and see if it leaves a hole when you take it out. I have the feeling that with John the hole would have been there and now we pray that his kin carry on the company with the same commitment and integrity”.

John’s dedication and contribution to the sport of tenpin bowling will surely be a lasting legacy.

Lynne Clay

Back
Top Bottom