VALE DAVID SCHMELZKOPF

S

steve_jones

David Schmelzkopf lost his all too short battle with cancer yesterday afternoon - December 12 at the St John of God Hospital in Perth.

It is no exaggeration to state that David was very much a patriarchal figure to the bowling industry in Western Australia. As General Manager of the highly successful Fairlanes group he oversaw a solid and highly profitable business that played a significant role in ensuring the success of the sport and industy in this part of the country.

David also contributed to the sport as a proficient player, National team coach and general adviser to all who sought to tap into his prolific knowledge.

With wife Val, David retired after the break up of the Fairlanes group some four years ago - his same dedication and enthusiasm for bowling were matched on the waters of Mandurah fishing and boating - and his keen competitive nature was there for all to see on the golf courses of the region.

He will be sadly missed.

A service will be held for David on Friday December 17 at the Freemantle Cemetery Carrington Street, Freemantle [meet at the main gate entrance at 2.50pm]. Flowers etc should be sent as follows - to reach no later than 12 noon Friday 17/12....addressed to D. Schmelzkopf c/o

Mareena Purslow & Associates
8 Augusta St [cnr Gympie Way] Willetton, WA 6155

Steve Jones

David, You will be sadly missed by many a friend. In the 20+ years of knowing you, I have never met anyone as kind and generous and the overwhelming friendship you extended to people like myself when our lives crossed many a time throughtout the years, I will never forget.

To Val you have my deepest sympathy. from Myself and my family.

Till we meet again david may you rest in peace.
(P.S. And when we do you still owe me tea.!)

Your Friend,

Tony Stoppel .

A lovely message Steve.

Yes indeed David will be greatly missed by so many. To some he was a "Boss" , a "Bowling Partner", a "Coach" a "Mentor" and to everyone he was a friend.

His contribution to the sport of Tenpin Bowling was enormous both in Western Australia and on a National level and he has touched the lives of so many people.

How time flies. In fact it has been 6 six years since David and Val retired to enjoy the best 6 years of their lives touring Australia in their Caravan.

I know Val & David had totalbowling.com as a "favourite" and she will be thrilled to see your mesage Tony. We'd love to see you in Perth again!!

We are all left with wonderful memories of happier times.

Sue and everyone at Fairlanes City.....some of us have known you for a long time others have only had the pleasure of hearing the stories. :cry:

A fitting tribute Steve,

All who knew David will mourn the loss of a charismatic man who put his heart and soul into the bowling industry. I personally have known David since 1972 and can honestly say that I have never known a better man or a truer friend. David was a true giant of the sport of bowling and bowlers everwhere will mourn the loss. He put the Fairlanes group on the map and was instrumental in shaping the path of Bowling in Western Australia. Its a sad day when such a kind hearted, noble and generous spirit departs this earth. Our hearts go out to his lovely Wife Val who he leaves behind.

"I will be thinking of you on Friday David and the good times we had over a glass of whisky and be happy in the knowledge that you will live on in our hearts". Truly Gone But Not Forgotten!

I still read a lot off those old Pin Action Articles about 100+ player Perth cups, $10000 300 games and the like back in those days, Dare say none of it could have happened without this guys work, Australian bowling will miss this this guy big time. I'm sure all the the South Aussies that were lucky enough to know him would have nothing but good things to say about him.

RIP Dave

I was priveleged to know David for many years during my association with the Perth Cup, far and away the friendliest tournament in Australia. He and Val were instrumental in putting together many great perth Cups, with innovations like the Skins Game which had spectator (paying!) participation. All were run with professionalism, mixed with a personal touch. Very much personified David in his dealings.

Our deepest sympathies to Val.

Brenton Davy and family.

I am unsure where to start, short of expressing Marks and my condolences to Val, family and those who had the honor of working with David at Fairlanes.
Mark asked me to submit this, as he was at a complete loss as to what to say; he saw David as a mentor, and was the reason he has stayed with this infuriating industry so long!
A gentleman who brought so much to the game as both a sport and an industry, who was only too willing to give you a chance, who pushed you to perform to the level he knew you were capable of, and was always willing to acknowledge that performance, both for the good and the bad.
May you rest in peace, David. Thank you for giving a tech from Osborne Park a go, even against the advice of others. He has not, and will not, ever forget it. Godspeed.

Val

Our condolences, to you and your family

David was a true Gentleman, and will be sadly missed by the bowlers, of Australia.

Val our hearts and thoughts go out to you at this time.

Lorraine, and Allen Jones

I read with great shock and deep regret the untimely passing of a legend of our beloved Sport. I met David on only a few occasions but on each of them found him to be so generous with his time and genuine advice (even to a competitor). My deepest sympathy to Val - who will, I am sure, take strength and comfort from the knowledge that David leaves an indellible legacy of perfection in the Industry in this country. MHDSRIP

Roy Menachemson
Managing Director - BowlAustralia.

David Smelzkopf

Sincere sympathy to Val and family on the passing of David.

It is not a well known fact that David was in the very first NCAS Level 2 Coaching Courses in Australia. So as well as the many attributes mentioned already David is part of Tenpin History in Australia for this also.

He will be missed by us all.

Gail Torrens

Sincere sympathy to Val and family on the passing of David

Sorry for the delay in sending this email,

In the forty years I have been in bowling no two nicer people have I known than David and Val, as many have truely stated this terrific man was taken long before his time, no man's company did I enjoy more.

To Val I can only offer my total sympathy at this tragic loss.

From Max, Ashlea, Kim and Stephen Bell

I know this thoughts are echoed by the entire bowling world.

Back
Top Bottom