TBA to appoint a PAID Head Coach

wchester

Bowling Tragic
$40,000 per annum for three days work per week.

Firstly, I've got to say it's a great move and one which is way overdue. But secondly, I wonder where the surplus $40,000 was found.

Leading candidate looks to be Mr Chris Batson, who seems to fit all the requirement and experience criteria.

somethin tells me that the TBA wouldnt be able to compete with the money being offered to coaches in the middle east

So we have a coach being paid to work full time and we (the members) are spending $40,000 a year for this.

Seems like a huge slab of our already strained TBA memberships going to something we will never benefit from - AGAIN.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of having a coach is good. I just question whether we can afford it in the current situation.

I guess the question is are you willing to put up your 5 dollars to see Australia perform time after time on the world stage???

I don't have an issue with $5 extra per year. The point is that at the moment we get nothing but we see $40,000 going to pay for a coach that will benefit few people.

Sure the coach will help but noone can guarantee better performances. Noone can guarantee that Aussies will promote the sport in Australia by bowling overseas.

Our membership should be benefitting the sport in Australia. As long as that happens I really don't care what the money is used on.

look at the asian region then as an example. paid coaches for the national teams. excellent track records through tournements, thus leading to a higher profile in their country( and they are extremely highly regarded as athletes over there). that leads to sponsorships which ends up benefitting everyone as it works its way into not just the national teams but also local and national tournements and associations because it has such a high regard by their countrymen/women. if you don't believe me about how much press those guys get look at paeng, he got voted athlete of the millenium! and is on a huge billboard with some other massive sporting names.
so having a paid coach to help our elite do even better is a great step to "getting something for your money" . it isn't something that happens over night but it's a step to getting it there and a damn good one if you ask me

Chris Batson has the runs on the board AND HE IS AVAILABLE I THINK and besides andrew would walk into most teams if he wished

There will be several people applying for this position I'd imagine. It will be hotly contested, it will be interesting to see who TBA appoint. Time will tell, all I'd like to say is that this is the first positive move I have seen from TBA in 12 months.

I guess the question is are you willing to put up your 5 dollars to see Australia perform time after time on the world stage???

No.

Reason

Cause i don't want to, i could buy a donut for your mum with that

Andrew frawley at his home center at lidcombe as well. Good lanes great management

Chris Batson has been named National Coach....

Subject: National Coach Appointment
For Immediate Release:
Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited
PRESS RELEASE:

It is with great excitement that the Board of Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited announces the appointment of Mr Chris Batson to the role of National Coach.
Commencing on the 9th of February 2009, Chris will work as part of the new look National Team, with a focus on developing both grass roots and high performance programs for tenpin bowling athletes within Australia.

Chris will be supported by a newly formed Coach Advisory Committee which includes the
expertise of June Voukolos, Cheryl Munson, Gail Torrens, Ken Thompson and Jason Taafe, and will work closely with the Management Staff and Program Delivery Directors Gordon Little and Cara Honeychurch.

Chris was selected through an independent professional recruiting process from a quality field of applicants. As an elite international athlete Chris has personally won 2 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 bronze medal at World Events, and has more than 70 medals to his credit as an International Coach, There is no doubt that Chris is unique and that his experience and knowledge speak for themselves.

Gillian Thompson-Rogers said today “ It is a major step forward for the sport of Tenpin Bowling in Australia to have a National Coach of Chris’s experience and expertise, on the payroll. Chris’s appointment will greatly assist the National body to achieve its strategic objectives with regard to Program Delivery, and she looks forward to working with him”.

The Board of TBA understand that over 3.7 million people participate in the sport of Tenpin Bowling in Australia each year and that the continued development of athlete pathways from grass roots to high performance competition is vital to the sports ongoing success. The appointment of a National Coach demonstrates the boards commitment to breaking new ground.

When asked how Chris felt about his appointment he responded, “I am so honoured to have been selected as the first ever paid TBA National Coach and plan to use my 45 years of knowledge and experience as a player, International coach and sports official to improve the performance and opportunities for athletes within tenpin bowling in Australia. I understand the need to raise the profile of bowling in Australia, and it is my goal to return Australian Teams to medal winning performances on the international stage”.

Chris’s first key role will be to work with the athletes who have nominated for the 2009 Women’s World Championships at a High Performance Camp at the Australian Sports Commission in Canberra on the 14th and 15th of February.

Congratulations to Chris Batson BUT...what happened to Barry Walsh...Not even a thank you for his services for his years of hard work (UNPAID)...:confused::confused::confused:

I can't comment about Barry's work as I am not familiar with it, but having seen first hand the results of Chris Batson's coaching skills in Asia - well, I wouldn't think there could be anyone better. In my experience Chris does a number of things exceptionally well....he thinks, thinks some more, then applies logic supported by great knowledge with due care and patience. If these are not the skills of a quality coach then I'm not sure what they are. Break a leg Bat.

Steve

Congrats Chris. Gun names such as Torrens and Honeychurch there are huge prospects on the horizon for the TBA. Keep the great work up ladies.

Grant

Well done Bat, or is it Mr Batson from now on. I remember when I first started bowling Chris was always willing to help me along. Hey Bat did I ever thank you for that. Good luck on your new venture.
Cheers Lovey

Back
Top Bottom