TENPIN BOWLING AUSTRALIA APPOINTS NEW LEADERS

elsie

Here's full details of the new roles for Cara Honeychurch and Jamie Taafe - this Release has been circulated to our bowling colleagues and media nationally, and internationally today. It was deliberately delayed so that the announcement could be made personally at the Junior Nationals on Saturday night, and released first to TBA members via its website yesterday.

I'm pleased to advise that there's already been some positive response from local media which I hope will be the start of a rejuvenation in the sport's public profile and media coverage.

cheers,
Lynne

TENPIN BOWLING AUSTRALIA APPOINTS NEW LEADERS
The Board of bowling’s national governing body, Tenpin Bowling Australia, today announced the appointment of Commonwealth Games triple-Gold medallist Cara Honeychurch as TBA’s Chief Executive Officer.

Coinciding with Cara’s appointment as CEO, the Board has elected James (Jamie) Taafe as its Chairperson.

Effective Monday, 19 April Cara assumes the pivotal administration role for the organisation. Her appointment follows an exhaustive selection process coordinated by a professional recruitment agency involving more than 60 applicants, with the Australian Sports Commission also integrally involved, as part of the interview panel.

Cara was a key member of Australia’s outstandingly successful team at the XVI Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur in 1998, personally winning three Gold medals in Singles, Doubles and the Mixed Doubles events, and has won 20 medals in FIQ competition internationally. She was twice named WBW Bowler of the Year and amassed numerous titles at national and international level, including AMF Bowling World Cup champion and PWBA Rookie of the Year when she joined the women’s pro bowling circuit in the USA in 2000.

In May 2009, at the age of just 37, Cara Honeychurch was elected Chairperson of the TBA Board and her experience in this leading strategic role has provided further insight into the challenges of her new full-time administrative position.

“I’m very aware of our sport’s strengths, and the issues it faces in order to elevate bowling to a pre-eminent ranking in competition with Australia’s most popular sports,” she said today from Melbourne. “My vision for the future includes universal TBA membership for all league bowlers throughout the country, a national Schools program and clearly defined pathways for the advancement of bowlers of all ages. “Strengthening links with centre proprietors and our commercial partners to develop meaningful products and services for our members is crucial to achieving these goals,” she added.

Cara is supported by a small but dedicated team located in Brisbane and a talented Board, now led by Jamie Taafe, who has held TBA’s financial affairs portfolio since 2008. Also based in Melbourne, Jamie will continue to fulfil this role, along with his wide-ranging involvement at local and State levels of the sport.

“With my wife, Dee’s support, I have been able to devote a significant amount of time in the past 45 years to sports including swimming and water polo, and now – of course – tenpin bowling,” he said. “My involvement with bowling started in the classic parental mode of supporting the sporting interests of my children Jason and Kirsten at AMF Sunshine Bowl,” he explained.

A couple of years later, his focus moved to Werribee Superbowl, currently host centre of the 40th Australian Junior National Championships. Here, Jamie contributed to the establishment of Werribee’s Junior Development program in 2001, paving the way for success as Manager of the centre’s junior and adult Goldpin teams. He has been on the Board of VicTenpins and its Treasurer since 2006, and was elected President of the State Association in 2008.

An ASCPA member with 25 years experience as a Financial Controller, Jamie is currently employed as CFO for Wesley College and brings a wealth of professional administrative skill to the TBA Board. At the same time, his experience with the introduction of Victoria’s state-based Training squads and Manager of its President’s Shield team for the past five years enables Jamie to contribute a broad range of knowledge as TBA Chairperson.

Observers are confident the combination of experience, passion and commitment to the sport of bowling shared by Cara Honeychurch and Jamie Taafe will provide renewed energy and vibrance to tenpin bowling in Australia.

“We have taken substantial steps forward in establishing growth and sustainability through a modern membership system and the appointment of Chris Batson as National Coach has resulted in a more professional approach to our High Performance program,” said Cara. “While we need to deliver better outcomes in other areas of our governance role, I’m confident that we are on track to providing the impetus for further success for bowlers, and bowling itself as a significant, lifetime sport,” she added.

ends

For further information, please contact TBA CEO, Cara Honeychurch by email at [email protected] or via the National office, Telephone (07) 3262 4455

Media enquiries and further Bio details, requests for captioned pics etc. should be directed to Lynne Clay via email [email protected] or Telephone 0419 444 280.

Back
Top Bottom