Letter to All Athletes and Coaches

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Wednesday 19th July 2006 - Tenpin Bowling Australia is taking a new direction in the area of national team selection. New criteria will be introduced that will ensure the athletes selected to represent Australia have the highest skill and fitness levels achievable when they compete at an international level.

There was a tragedy that befell our III Commonwealth Championships in Melbourne with the death of a competitor from Wales. This unfortunate and tragic occurrence drove home to me the necessity of ensuring our travelling teams are sent away in the peak of their physical condition as flying times to most international events are lengthy and very taxing on the body. We have a duty of care to all athletes to ensure we do not place them in any position that may have a negative effect on them physically. A fitness assessment of all potential international athletes is one way in which we can ensure the safety of all Australian competitors.

Historically, Tenpin Bowling Australia has sent teams to all ABF and WTBA events in youth and adult age categories. Australia has enjoyed a wealth of medals and high finishing places in many Championships over the years and it is my goal to ensure we continue to figure positively in these events. It is common in all sports to experience a lull in positive results due to the transition of bowlers as they change age categories and also due to the retirement of the more experienced competitors who have been the back-bone of many teams. I believe that we are in such a lull period in certain areas at present. There is a wealth of talent out there that should be identified and developed into great competitive teams. It is for this reason that I will no longer be automatically sending teams to every event on the ABF and WTBA calendar but instead will be focussing on developing teams to achieve better results in the world championship arena. We are competing against nations who have a wealth of government funding and access to sporting programs that would normally be reserved for the most elite Australian sports people. This decision is not a criticism of our bowling talent but is a more long term vision that will ensure we remain competitive in years to come.

Finally, I must thank all our coaches who continue to volunteer their time to ensure our long term visions will indeed become realities. Our coaching programs are now being recognised and sought after internationally which is testament to the talented people we have working in this industry. To all our bowlers, please continue with this sport and feel free to contact me should you have ideas that you believe may also benefit us as we move forward.

Thank you one and all

ALEX POPOV
Chief Executive Officer – Tenpin Bowling Australia
Vice President – Asian Bowling Federation

I feel for the family members of the gentleman who died so suddenly this week. As my family has also been touched with the traderdies of DVT. I guess really brings home the fact that it can strike anyone.

I agree that all competetives should be of good health before traverling any great distances, and should be medically cleared to do so. But there are people in this world who are fit and healthy who carry a gene that makes them at a high risk of getting DVT. I walked around for many years with out knowing the dangers that were lurking inside. Had I not been female and wanting to start a family, I probably still would be unaware that I had the antibodies that made me suseptable to DVT.

Jase said:
Wednesday 19th July 2006 -
There was a tragedy that befell our III Commonwealth Championships in Melbourne with the death of a competitor from Wales. This unfortunate and tragic occurrence drove home to me the necessity of ensuring our travelling teams are sent away in the peak of their physical condition as flying times to most international events are lengthy and very taxing on the body. We have a duty of care to all athletes to ensure we do not place them in any position that may have a negative effect on them physically. A fitness assessment of all potential international athletes is one way in which we can ensure the safety of all Australian competitors.

Thank you one and all
ALEX POPOV
Chief Executive Officer – Tenpin Bowling Australia
Vice President – Asian Bowling Federation
Alex

With due respect Sir, and no offence is directed to you personally, this is a knee jerk reaction. DVT can occur to any person, skinny, just right or overweight. It has absolutely no corelation to level of fitness.

DVT is caused by changes in blood viscosity. It is more prevalent in women due to female hormone characteristics, the effects of taking "the pill" and oestrogen levels compared to males. That is probably why you are targeting females in this instance. Some people are more prone to contract DVT due to genetic disposition. Fitness does not play a part. A large person is more likely to suffer DVT because they are more uncomfortable in the confined spaces of air travel. Frequent walking during a long journey helps blood circulation and therefore blood viscosity.

How you can then say that fitness levels will remove/reduce chances of DVT on long flights cannot be sustained. And that is a tragic "fact" that will now impact female participation in the SPORT of Tenpin bowling at international levels. This cannot be a "duty of care" decision as it is totally baseless.

Regards

Reg Reichel

Unfortunately this type of Kneejerk reaction can have Legal and Racial ramifications.

I would like to think if I was bowling well enough that I could make the State and Australian Teams, but this could be impossible because I'm a little over weight (18 Stone ) but I'm really just too short for my weight, I should be 7 foot tall. Now just believe I'm Aboriginal, my life-span for my race is 50-60 years about my age, this could mean I'm not selected because I'm at high risk of dying prematuley no matter how fit I am.

Let's just pick the Best Team, although that does'nt always happen, does it, but that's another story.;)

willey

willey said:
Unfortunately this type of Kneejerk reaction can have Legal and Racial ramifications.
I would like to think if I was bowling well enough that I could make the State and Australian Teams, but this could be impossible because I'm a little over weight (18 Stone ) but I'm really just too short for my weight, I should be 7 foot tall. Now just believe I'm Aboriginal, my life-span for my race is 50-60 years about my age, this could mean I'm not selected because I'm at high risk of dying prematuley no matter how fit I am.
Let's just pick the Best Team, although that does'nt always happen, does it, but that's another story.;)
willey
Good post Willey.

The ramifications you refer to go beyond just legal and racial factors. Discrimination is the word - this includes gender, racial, peoples size, age, handicaps, and so on. The legal bit is simply an off-shoot of the type of discrimination where compensation can be sought through the legal system. In this case it is (at this point in time) gender based around females being "unfit" to travel to represent their country at tenpin bowling. This is a discriminate act.

As a retired fireman I am fully conversant with "fitness" and what it entails. I am also very conversant with what constitutes discrimination, harrassment and bullying, whether it is in the workplace or on the sporting fields. During 42 years in the Public Service I served on high level anti - discrimination committees for over 6 years, researching all aspects of discrimination including working with Griffith University for reference to the Queensland parliament. I cannot tolerate any form of discrimination whatsoever, hence my utter disgust at this TBA edict.

As I have previously stated, this is an unfounded act of discrimination, based on a female's level of fitness to travel because of a so called "duty of care" against developing DVT. TBA should reconsider their knee jerk reaction to the III Commonwealth games unfortunate incident as the actions to be taken are ILLEGAL, that is, they contavene the Federal and all State anti-discrimination legislations.

Finally, are coaches who might be overweight and smoke like a chimney going to be subjected to the same rules? I wouldn't want to be around after a few hours with a chain smoker shaking for a drag. That would probably eliminate a few coaches too I would suspect.

Just my honest opinion.

Hey guys I'm not at all saying that either of your views were wrong in any way but I think you're reading into this a little bit to much. I'm pretty sure if your bowling was at the highest level in the country and you weren't built like an AFL footballer you would still be sent to represent this great country in our great game. The guidelines to this system may very well be as simple as a small medical examination much the same as you do before being employed into a new job. Remeber the main thing is being competitive in the big leagues and we all know that you don't have to look like a personal traine to do that.

Don't take this the wrong way ok guys...

Cheers Ash

I would not disagree with the sentiments of some of the posts on this thread, but know myself that when I am well rested, and recently since I started eating better and exercising a little - there was a significant improvement in my bowling.

The TBA "edict" (as it has been called), is not a knee jerk reaction, but the underlying direction is to improve the ability for TBA to substantiate the funding it receives from the ASC, by having medal results at International Events.

I took the time to contact Alex Popov, and an important thing to note is that TBA are not "inferring that bowlers must only be tall, thin, muscular and have a fitness level of a marathon runner - all we (TBA) are trying to do is to give each bowler an idea of how performances may improve if certain changes are made. Programs will be designed on an individual basis to assist all camp
attendees. We will ultimately select the best team to represent Australia
and believe this new direction is a step forward in seeing this come
through. I only have what is best for the sport in mind and would do
nothing to undermine its value or to stop people participating."

Before we shoot the messenger, let's see how this works in practice, and give some support to TBA to try and improve our results overseas, which will result in a bigger profile and more funding (hopefully) - both things that people are continually suggesting are needed.

Cheers,

Vaughnn

Hi Vaughnn

Will you give me 500 bucks (or rather another 500 bucks) to support the ideals of the TBA?

Will you pay my wage on Friday to travel?

Hoooray to "feral", I too have had training in anti discrimination and he hits the nail squarely on the head.

Wish I was wealthy enough to give everyone $500, but I am in no way related to either the Packer or Murdoch families...

How about you re read the first post in this thread, but remove the second paragraph (which I believe is being taken out of context).

If bowlers are so good they should be in a national team, or national squad, I am pretty sure TBA will work with that individual bowler on the area which will assist them improve further.
Even shot putters, weightlifters, etc, who participate at the elite/international level, enhance their performance by better diet habits, and appropriate exercise and training programs for their sport.

If an individual believes they are being discriminated against, or believe that their being overweight will put up a roadblock, they should contact TBA (Alex is more than approachable), and clarify the situation as it applies to them.

Vaughnn

Vaughnn said:
If an individual believes they are being discriminated against, or believe that their being overweight will put up a roadblock, they should contact TBA (Alex is more than approachable), and clarify the situation as it applies to them.
Vaughnn
Sorry Vaughnn, this is not aimed a any particular individual - it is a class discrimination. Don't try to water down the law - you would lose, and hansomely at that (alot more than $500.

i don't wish to buy into the discrimination agruements raised but merely wish to point out the DVT is non discriminatory in who it affects.

All will recall that Aussie cricket legend Steve Waugh was struck down with DVT before the New Zealand series a few seasons back. One would expect that a cricketer such as Steve Wuagh would have had above average levels of fitness so i would say that whilst fitness may play a part it can happen to even the fittest of athletes.

Shoey.

Steve Waugh's injury occurred because of an injury he sustained in the 3rd Ashes Test at Trent Bridge in 2001, he set off for a single and tore his calf muscle.

He then proceded to play in the 5th Test at the Oval (where to his huge credit made 157 not out on one leg), and then got DVT partly due to the medication he was on to get the leg right, mixed with the initial injury.

As a consequence he was on blood-thinning medication for sometime, and had to wear those leg tights.

It wasn't just a random occurance.

Let’s review this thread before someone has the hide to change the original context in which it started:

Quote:

“There was a tragedy that befell our III Commonwealth Championships in Melbourne with the death of a competitor from Wales. This unfortunate and tragic occurrence drove home to me the necessity of ensuring our travelling teams are sent away in the peak of their physical condition as flying times to most international events are lengthy and very taxing on the body. We have a duty of care to all athletes to ensure we do not place them in any position that may have a negative effect on them physically. A fitness assessment of all potential international athletes is one way in which we can ensure the safety of all Australian competitors.”

“This unfortunate and tragic occurrence” was caused by DVT as a result of a long aircraft flight. I posted, on another thread, a link to a fact sheet on DVT. There is a 0.1% to 0.3% causal correlation between long flights and DVT. A very low risk indeed but nevertheless a risk.

“…the necessity of ensuring our travelling teams are sent away in the peak of their physical condition as flying times to most international events are lengthy and very taxing on the body.” There is no correlation between DVT and levels of fitness. DVT can occur to anyone no matter what their level of fitness is, so being in your peak condition will not prevent you from getting DVT any more than an unfit person. Therefore, the statement “We have a duty of care to all athletes to ensure we do not place them in any position that may have a negative effect on them physically.” is baseless on DVT grounds but is a true statement for other reasons, not DVT.

“A fitness assessment of all potential international athletes is one way in which we can ensure the safety of all Australian competitors.” One assumes here that safety is referring back to the reason the thread was posted in the first place – a tragic occurrence due to DVT.

This is where the discrimination commences. Quote: “A fitness assessment of all potential international athletes..”

I have already posted some very brief facts about what constitutes discrimination. Those comments only barely touched the nation wide legislation about discrimination in all its ugly forms.

Now the above thread was started AFTER the following thread:

“ATTENTION LADIES AND GIRLS

WHO WANTS TO BE PART OF OUR NEXT AUSTRALIAN ADULT TEAM?”

”The camp will include
• written or oral testing on the skills of the sport (pass of 60% is mandatory)
• on lanes skill testing,
• testing on simulated lane conditions
• fitness testing – applicants must attain minimum of level 6 on the beep test as well as health safe, acceptable levels of skin fold and core stability to be included for 2nd camp
• Psych analysis for team dynamics.”

There is nothing discriminatory about anything in the above statement. BUT, this post was aimed at women (a gender discrimination) followed LATER by (quote) “A fitness assessment of all potential international athletes....” and therefore seriously breaches state and national anti discrimination legislation.

As I have said previously (in different words), if you are excluded from international selection based on gender specific discrimination of levels of fitness, the colour of your hair, your age, your size etc (OTHER THAN FOR THE REASON THAT YOU CANNOT BOWL WELL ENOUGH), then get on to your legal advisor. Better still, as I said previously, TBA would do well to drop this direction it is taking (is the REAL issue ASC funding for elite athletes????), think it through more thoroughly and perhaps start again. If it is for ASC funding then say so quite plainly in simple understandable English and stop this tangential crap!!!!

I will state quite emphatically again that this was a knee jerk REACTION to a situation that was not thought through.

Yes, I believe in fitness but the tests indicated do not cover critical fitness criteria for tenpin bowling. There are many great bowlers out there who are “unfit” but they will not necessarily contract DVT anymore than someone who can swim the Pacific, the very reason given for the fitness tests in the first place. Or, as I said above, was this a side issue.

I mean no offence to TBA or anybody else but I hope people who are not game enough to argue their case on this forum get the rewards they truly deserve – purely on ability!! And thanks to those of you who have PM’ed your support on this issue.

I rest my case.

(PS: there is a new game at leagues these days – pinch testing!!!!)

Feral said:
I mean no offence to TBA or anybody else but I hope people who are not game enough to argue their case on this forum get the rewards they truly deserve – purely on ability!! And thanks to those of you who have PM’ed your support on this issue.
I rest my case.
(PS: there is a new game at leagues these days – pinch testing!!!!)

1 PM from Easy Tiger doesnt count for allot Feral :)

Back
Top Bottom