TBA Nationals "Ball Paddock" - Something different

Just to clear things up.

I made the initital post as information to the bowlers who were participating at the Nationals and whoever stumbled across it.

I never said a bad word about it. I merely found it interesting and I knew it would get comments (good and bad) about it. And look at the comments already!

Thank you.

I am not particularly interested in debating the rights & wrongs of the thread, but I have one simple question - is the storage container temperature controlled or not ?

From reading thread I am not sure and this will be factor for me in determining whether I leave my gear in it or not.

Can anyone confirm ?

They're the new improved "Revivor" units.

30 mins is all you need to get all the oil out of your balls... and as an added bonus, you'll also get to see the weightblock after they crack.

Enjoy.

This was supposed to be done down here in 2006. We told AMF you must be joking. Would have been ball death galore considering the weather we had during the Nationals... 34* and bushfires one week and snow on the Mountain the next (no joke)

34C and bushfires and exactly a week later it was snowing in the city itself LOL.
I remember going to dinner with Max and a few others up at some Chinese place up in New Town Road and the snow was pelting it down when we walked out, and the Masters on the Friday night when Chris Barratt shot 299, half the centre's stading around in the doorway watching the snow hurling it down out in the carpark, lit up by the floodlights.
Was a very strange fortnight that one.

Those people from NQ and NT had nothing better to do...

It was like they'd never seen snow before :D

Shipping containers can't be that bad for bowling balls. For years (and some still do) many 1000's of balls spent weeks atop ships crossing the pacific ocean. I'm sure that the temp out there would be equal to or greater than that found in a car park. Didn't seem to have any long term effects on the balls.

I think a sudden change in temp (as that stated that happened in Tas) is much more detrimental to the longevity of balls rather than just hot or cold tempratures for long periods of time. Of course, no scientific evdience to back that, just my own personal experience from bowling all over the place (not to mention living in a climate where we get extreme cold and hot).

CT

Most of the containers, of course, are *in* the ship, and only the top layer is exposed to the sun. Hardly the same thing.

Having said that, if the containers are aircond, I don't see a problem. If they are not, I'll just wrap the ones I want rejuvenated in some paper towels and leave them in there. I doubt it will get hot enough to damage any, give the temp of hot water baths and rejuvenators (or even, dare I say it, the car boot for most people).

On edit - anyone flying long distances would be advised to wrap their gear in a couple of hand towels at least - aircraft cargo holds get very cold, and the transition from frozen to Brisbane heat might not be much fun for them. Even a little insulation might help keep the heat in for longer.

ok a straight forward question... is the container the same (or same style) as the one used at east coast last year?

if the answer is a yes then the air con musn't work very well as it was like a sauna in there.

CONFIRMATION

From a bowler who currently has his balls in the shipping containers at Mt Gravatt.

They are NOT refrigerated. They ARE insulated.

Appears they are in the shade most of the day. He is not getting sweating of his balls while in the container and does not appear to be any problems.

I think the centre management have made a decent effort on this one. Another rremodel into an amusement arcade has left them short of space, so they're making the best of the situation.

I don't know the numbers and have no proof to work on, but from my experience, I think you need a more rapid change of temperature than is likely in an insulated container. It will get pretty warm, but should be fine. Gear would get hotter in your car in summer and lots of people do that and get away with it.

All you guys looking for free hook should take advantage of the situation and get a bottle of ball cleaner. That way when your balls come out all sweaty, you can give them a satisfying rub and get some DIY free action! ;)

Good luck everyone going to the Nationals!

p.s. A long time ago, there was a container of soft polyester performance balls (spare balls these days) that arrived at a warehouse that was reportedly "hot as an oven" inside and all balls tested with a durometer were all below 72 hardness. A couple of weeks in the warehouse and they were fine.

Ah the good old durometer. Does not have much relevance these days.

I remember my first FIQ in Jakarta and all balls needed to be tested. Bowling on a huge 40 something feet double oil flood and all our soft equipment was deemed to soft.

How to fix the problem, went back to the motel and placed all balls in deep freezers. Then borrowed a few eskys and drove the frozen balls to the bowl in the eskys. Waited to open the eskys until they were actually ready to apply the durometer and shock they all passed with flying colours.

Still probably one of the most successful FIQ's if not the most succesful of any Australian FIQ team ever and all bowled with these balls.

By the way this is what we were advised to do by the officials of the event.

Back
Top Bottom