Sportsmanship - what would you do?

I'd apologise... And I know many other bowlers who would too... It recently happened to me when a Junior/Youth bowler went through the nose for a strike to beat me, he apologised and that was that.. I think its unsportsmanlike to not accept a fluke.

So far no one has commented on the professional tennis player's apologetic gesture when a net cord ball tumbles over the net for a point or when they mis-hit the ball and it drops in for a winner. That's all I ask for...and what I'd do if I
were the recipient of a lucky winning toss.
The difference being, in most tennis matches we watch on TV, you are talking about high level players with similar skill level, in bowling, so many different levels of skill, why would it be expected to have one bowler apologetic because they bowl a few lucky shots, and where do you limit the level of luck, lucky pocket carry, brooklyn, etc?

And this also wasn't the question you asked either, would you shake hands was the question you asked? The answer is of course in these circumstances is yes. In most circumstances the answer was always yes.

Always shake hands. It seems we're all in agreement on that one.

But if they're getting in your face when getting away with murder, always have the professional courtesy to let them know that you know. :) Feedback should always be honest, immediate and appropriate! My personal favourite is "I really won't get offended if you hit the pocket" which translates to "For the love of God, will you at least hit something approximating your bloody target..?!!" I also believe that it all comes around. Just maybe not this season. Otherwise, I'd curse the ingenuity of bowling ball engineers all year long. (Oh, wait a minute...I DO do that!) ;)

I ALWAYS apologise for throwing a crap shot that strikes, even if just out of courtesy. It's the most unfair aspect of our game. A friend of mine years ago reckoned that a Brooklyn strike should be marked as 8/. I think he was on the money.

I was always taught that you get up and try to knock ten down. Doesn't matter how. Everyone gets lucky breaks and everyone gets tough breaks. I'm not going to apologise for throwing Brooklyn just like I wouldn't ask for a re-rack after a pocket 7-10. It evens itself out in the end.

A few have used the tennis analogy. I remember a prominent former player saying while commentating a while back, after a player apologised after a shot just fell over off the net, why are you apologising? You're not going to give the point back and you're not really sorry - you're out there to win.

There's a difference between taking things as they come and rubbing someone's face in it. There is never an excuse not to shake hands after a match. That's not the sport I know if that's the way it's going.

It doesn't matter to the score. That's just a number. But I know I'd rather earn the win than carry on as if dumb luck were something more meritorious. There's nothing more aggravating than some fool trying to convince me of the existence of their "good Brooklyn hit." It's just dumb luck. And it's good manners to apologise for getting away with a shot that is that bad, especially if you're on some walled up house shot and you have to miss by 5 at the arrows and 10 at the breakpoint to go Brooklyn in the first place.

Agree there's no such thing as a good Brooklyn hit. Also agree completely that I'd rather win by throwing excellent shots and being rewarded by them. Having Brooklyns and lucky trips thrown at you all night is frustrating, been on the receiving end many times.

I can't see any reason whatsoever to call a fellow bowler a fool however and not shaking hands is inexcusable, regardless of how the game is won or lost.

It doesn't matter to the score. That's just a number. But I know I'd rather earn the win than carry on as if dumb luck were something more meritorious. There's nothing more aggravating than some fool trying to convince me of the existence of their "good Brooklyn hit." It's just dumb luck. And it's good manners to apologise for getting away with a shot that is that bad, especially if you're on some walled up house shot and you have to miss by 5 at the arrows and 10 at the breakpoint to go Brooklyn in the first place.

You've ruined my self confidence now Dousty - I thought I was doing well

As I said first up in post#23; "Always shake hands. It seems we're all in agreement on that one."

Ah, Lyndsay. I suspect it takes more than that to ruin your confidence! ;)

Firstly to the sportspersons aspect, regardless of the opponent and the quality or lack thereof regarding their shot making you should always shake hands at the end of the game. I remember back in 1995 I bowled a tournament at Clayfield and in match play I was bowling against Ian Bradford and I threw 7 Brooklyn strikes in a row to beat him, and while he wasn't happy (but who would be to lose that way), he was still very gracious shook my hand and gave me some words of encouragement which being a young guy meant heaps coming from a legend of the game.

Now as far as Brooklyn strikes go, I have always maintained that they should be a 7/, I mean bowling is the only accuracy based sport where you are actually rewarded for making bad shots. There is nothing worse than bowling a tournament and you smash the pocket for a 10,7,8 or 9 pin while your opponent misses their mark by 5 boards and goes Brooklyn for a strike. But I figure that you just need to concentrate on the things you can control and keep making great shots and hope the pins drop for you.

Although for anyone who has left a ringing 7,10, or 8 pin for 299, there is nothing more soul destroying than seeing someone shank their twelfth shot and go Brooklyn or through the beak and drop all 10 pins for a 300. But I guess that is what keeps us coming back.

All you gotta do is look at the fight on weds night to see how bad it looks when someone dont shake someones hand.

Jeez, what's all this hate of Brooklyn strikes? We've all done it a thousand times and no one (to my knowledge) has ever said "no my principles will not allow me accept a strike for that poor shot." And might I also point out that not all bowlers actually aim at the traditional pocket.

I witnessed a Chinease Typai bowler (cant think of his name .. well I can but cant spell it) win the World Masters in Reno back in the early ninties throwing a 'Helicopter' style shot (11lb ball) and every one of his strikes (and there were heaps) went Brooklyn!

I also saw the way the 'Tradional ' hook bowlers took this win. To say they were upset is an understatement!

The guy who came second ran the entire length of the 80 lane stadium, threw himself on the ground and screamed for all to hear "this is unfair, for someone to win like that is just an embarrasment to our game .. it was a fluke!!!'

What very few onlookers realised was that this little Chinease guy actually was the top qualifier over singles, doubes and teams! Fluke my rear end .. and no, the runner up did not shake hands with the winner.... but I did.

I am as embarrassed as the rest of us when I get Brooklyn strikes, but of course you take them! Nowhere in the laws of the game does it state that u must use a specific method to knock down all 10 pins :)

I am as embarrassed as the rest of us when I get Brooklyn strikes, but of course you take them! Nowhere in the laws of the game does it state that u must use a specific method to knock down all 10 pins :)

Being a lefty u would get that alot wouldnt ya.. hahah jks

i was present at this tournament and not only did this bowler not have the decency to shake his opponents hand - lucky strike or not, he also did not even have the team attitude to pass strikes onto fellow team bowlers, especially the females in his team - as for the lack of shaking hands it was witnessed and poorly commented on by many bowlers - not what is wanted in this sport

I think you both need to apologize for being left handed... ;)
But seriously...if your opponent was smug about the lets say ordinary shots then a few words spoken might help vent your frustrations but you should always shake hands and be gracious in defeat no matter how they beat you!
The old hands up and surrender at the foul line is a practice I use if I miss target and carry ugly and this is the same as tennis...hand up to the opponent for a non verbal sorry which always goes down well.

i was present at this tournament and not only did this bowler not have the decency to shake his opponents hand - lucky strike or not, he also did not even have the team attitude to pass strikes onto fellow team bowlers, especially the females in his team - as for the lack of shaking hands it was witnessed and poorly commented on by many bowlers - not what is wanted in this sport

did not even have the team attitude to pass strikes onto fellow team bowlers..I don't know what this is supposed to mean..please explain
I gave all my teammates encouragement and gave them five when appropriate. Instead of posting crap on here that you 'supposedly' saw, why not ask the ladies on our team if they felt ignored.

I ALWAYS apologise for throwing a crap shot that strikes, even if just out of courtesy. It's the most unfair aspect of our game. A friend of mine years ago reckoned that a Brooklyn strike should be marked as 8/. I think he was on the money.

On most THS, a Brooklyn should go in as a "F". I mean, you've just missed half a lane area, and you're telling me you didn't F*$K up? ;)

Most of the time, if someone throws a lucky one, I'll let it slide... If they start chirping, they better be prepared to get some back :)

The thing that annoys me the most, is when you have that one release that's as pure as the driven snow, and the headpin tomahawks the 10 at the neck... "God how lucky was that!? Should have been a 10 pin!" That usually gets the "The are holes in the ball for a reason.... USE THEM" response (or something along those lines ;))

Always shake hands.... You can tell the real character of someone by the way they handle adversity.

Back
Top Bottom