SANDBAGGERS

what can or should be down

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lifer

Have a question for you all. How do you feel about sandbaggers. When a bowler deliberately drops their average in league what can be done about it
:mad:

I think in some cases it is obvious when someone is sandbagging. But it cant really be proven. They could just says its a form slump.

One guy i used to bowl with averaged near 180, now averages less than 150. Could be a form slump, could be age catching up...without a polygraph only he knows.

I used to get accused of sandbagging when i had the second highest average in my centre. I dont know why people did but maybe its a compliment and they think i had the potential to be better.

when a bowler is a 200+ average and quite capable of it but they obviously mess around with balls between the legs, doing fred flintstone etc and drop to a 160 its sandbagging. Then the next week they shoot 280's then a pre-bowl of no games over 100. ??????????????????????????? it sucks

oh i know about them...there's this pair in my doubles league on a friday night..at the start of the league one had a handicap of 20 and the other was on scratch. now both have added like 20 to it.

they purposely throw shots badly eg in the gutter, aiming at a corner pin.

I'm so sick of seeing these 2 do it every friday...they've been given 2 warnings but are still doing it.

it really makes me wander why they bother because they're coming 8th in the league out of 12 pairs of bowlers..why bother purposely throwing games to get your handicap up to have an easier chance at winning in future when you can pull ya finger out and bowl properly.

A few cases i've seen recently was last friday in the 3rd game they had a combined scratch total of about 220 (100, 120.)

Seriously, what good does it do

Man who cares about sandbaggers. You should be worrying about your own game to imoprove. Sandbaggers will never improve and will never get to the elite bowling stage. I dont see any of the High end bowlers (Belmonte, WRWJ, Barnes) sandbag. They might have their bad games time to time though. In the end they are just going to hurt their own game and never get better. I know of one sandbagger who is purposely doing it but time after time im still kicking his ass even with his high handicap. In the end im going to benefit and end up accomplishing more.

So in the end if you worry about them your only hurting your own game and potential.

Im off to throw a couple of carpark games now lol.

its kinda hard not to get annoyed when they play against someone who bowls lower then them and only wins off the handicap, but when they play the stronger ones they actually try bowl well.

this is why sandbaggers shouldn't be allowed to have their points counted

But that is what you get for a handicap system. Otherwise their wouldn't be such thing as "handicap". Its like golf. if you dont want a league with sandbagging then join a scratch league i know of a couple in sydney. I'm sorry but this is just plain whinging about sandbagging. Its what you get with "handicap". I was playing a doubles game with another team one player averages over 180 the other maybe 130. Me and my partner average around 169. We beat them scratch but got beaten by the handicap. Its just the nature of it. Sandbagging or not. Same thing happened last yr in a championships. A good open player sandbagged and got into restricted masters and flogged everyone. what can you do though. Get annoyed and let it affect your game? as i said before just concentrate on your own game and not anyone elses.

its all well and good to bowl in only scratch leagues but when you like the lower average bowlers to get a taste of competition its good to encourage them. NOT deflate them

The easiest way to combat this that I know of is at the start of the season the league impliments the 10 pin rule. This means that your average can not drop below 10 pins of your previous seasons average.

It does not have to be 10 pins it can be 20 if your league decides but it has to be done at the start of the season.

Rob

I think it is funny to see sandbaggers get out sandbagged

THere is nothing that can be done because lots of things can cause people to bowl bad late night the night before bowling, lots of work you name it.

I am not talking about the person that started this post but Some people in glass houses should not throw stones.

I have an idea maybe we should have a league just for sandbaggers oh sorry we allready have one on monday night at 8.30 at Logan.....

i dont see the problem they pay there money week in week out.. it is there choice to bowl how ever they choose.. im a firm beleiver of cheaters never prosper..

if everyone has such a big problem with it bowl in a scratch league..

and yes this person is a 200 average bowler.. but when he tries to bowl it would not matter if he had a handicap or not your not going to beat him

This is an age old problem and will never disappear in any sport where handicaps are involved. My train of thought is that if you fork out the hard earned to bowl crap for the sake of sandbagging well you are only wasting your own time and money.

If you want to bag and blow your cash, it's on your own conscience and is just a stupid waste of time. There is no better feeling than bowling above your best and that satisfaction when your night is over that you have bowled well and done all the right things.

It's a waste of time even discussing the topic. Such a waste of time. Those last words cover the topic me thinks....

Alot of people are saying we should just move on and get over it. That's all well and good, but what about in tournaments that are either graded or handicaped??? I have seen bowlers throw off games purposely so they can raise their handicap to give them a much stronger chance of winning that particualr tournament. the same thing happens in championships that are graded. I know a bowler who went to state last year, who should've been in classic cup, yet cause he sand bagged for a few weeks, he ended up being in A grade, and finished in the top 3 cause of it. Is that fair to another kid, who had been working his ass off for another person to cheat their way into the top??? I honestly think not.

WE need a National register where ALL bowlers scores are calculated into One (1) average. This should include all event bowled in. No different to golfers. In this age of computers and whizz kids surely TBA could come up with a formula to bring a fair average right across Australia.:rolleyes:

has anyone thought about different lane conditions?

especially if you bowl in a centre where the condition is different every week..
if you can't work it out and your average drops do you still class this as sandbagging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom