Keep the rotating Points or Drop after each Year

• Keep it how it is

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Start of Fresh Each Year

Votes: 68 66.0%

• Total voters

KnuckleHead

Vic Represent
This just a Poll and Suggestion but how does everyone feel about after Each year the Ranking Points be dropped and start off on zero the next years events. Out of the 15 people in our Room on Saturday night At Brunswick Belmo and 5 others including myself started talking about it.

So how does everyone feel about that.

start it at zero - it gets too confusing adding points from the current year and trying to remember last years points to deduct.....

what disadvantage is there to this years champions if everyone was to start the same - NONE!!!:confused:

K.I.S.S. - and starting it new as at January 1 is a good way to do it!!

jmho

Broni:D

January 1 - drop the points and start again.

The rotational thing and accumulative points/drop offs is too confusing and a waste of time and energy with the different national tournaments which come and go.

I'ts a lot less confusing to just start fresh every year. The best bowlers will still come out on top anyway. :cool:

There is actually two things (to parallel with many other sports).

The first is a ranking system, which has the rotating points, similar to golf or tennis.
The second is an annual "championship" (in golf it is the Order of Merit), something like a race to see who can accumulate the most points between January 1st and December 31st.

It would be nice to see both systems.

VB

Roll over points structures are very useful in helping with (and to a degree justifying or arguing) FIQ team selections and it also keeps a running tally of who is ranked top at a particular time for the immediate 12 month period. This current system was intorduced as a means of showing the no 1 ranked player for the previous 12 month period so if a top ranked player had a bad first couple of events of a new year, he/she doesn't automatically disappear from the rankings.

A compromise would be to have a current year total and a roll over points table. At the end of the calendar year, the 2 sets of points should be the same anyway.

Just backing up to what Brenton has said with something straight from the TBA website.

2006 National Elite Ranking System Details
3. HOW IT WILL WORK
3.1 A simple system based on a fixed points table, covering only the listed major national events. The system will be continuous, in that all points gained in one January to December year will be progressively replaced with the following year’s points. This rolling 12 months of data is used to support the ranking of any player. This promotes consistency and avoids the situation whereby last year’s Number One ranked player drops to 45th because of a single bad result in the first event.

Just backing up to what Brenton has said with something straight from the TBA website.
2006 National Elite Ranking System Details
3. HOW IT WILL WORK
3.1 A simple system based on a fixed points table, covering only the listed major national events. The system will be continuous, in that all points gained in one January to December year will be progressively replaced with the following year’s points. This rolling 12 months of data is used to support the ranking of any player. This promotes consistency and avoids the situation whereby last year’s Number One ranked player drops to 45th because of a single bad result in the first event.

Exactly. Keep the rollover system currently in place!

The system is fine the way it is. How is it confusing when the bowler's don't need to keep track of points in tournaments for rankings that's what the TBA have appointed John Coxon to do. He looks after the rankings points and the additions and deductions of points per year.

Not fussed either way really, but l have noticed over the last couple of years a small problem with the current methods used.

We use a rolling points system, but if an event is dropped from the calendar for the following year, the points are removed in January for the event, regardless of when the event is being held throughout the year.

Example, Cannington Cup in Perth. All points from this event were removed in January 2006, for an event held at the end of February. If the rolling points system was true, the points would be deducted until 12 months after the event had been held.

Imagine if for example Brunswick Cup was not a ranked event for next year, that would mean that in January those points earned in December would be dropped from points total, and yet, they had been in place for 12 months.

Perhaps 2 systems.

The rolling system & a current years points system.

Also is there a way to tell what points you got from each event, perhaps the TBA could work on this as an improvment, perhaps a link through the persons name, to allow them to click on it to see which events the points relate to and if they are correct.

What happens if an event in 2006 is Double Ranked but it isn’t in 2007…Especially if the winners don’t perform as well in the event in 2007 as they did in 2006...To me that seems a bit of a disadvantage for the Roll over system...

I believe it would be a lousy move to drop points on January 1st of each year.
What would happen if points are dropped...

Q:Who would be Australia's top ranked bowler on January 1st?
A:NO ONE!

Is it wise to call someone the #1 ranked bowler in the country based off of just one or two tournament results?

The top ranked bowlers ARE the best in the country, which they've proven in tournament play over previous 52 weeks. It doesn't make sense to then turn around and say that those very same athletes are no longer our "best" bowlers simply because it's a new year or they have had a bad result or two, or skipped a tournament in the early part of the new season.

THEY ARE STLL THE BEST...Until someone else has a better 52 week run.

I think that it is better to start fresh every year. And if the bowler is good it isn't a problem to get high ranking points each year. So I think that the best Aussie bowlers are safe but it is a good chance for others to get good spots in rankings.

Do it like the old Pin Action ratings(your rating was worked out by points youve earned as a percentage of points avaiable to you, majors and semi major tourneys both ranked, example, if 800 points were available in the events you bowled and you earned 400 points your rating is 50.00) Once more for the cheap seats, i still believe we havent had a true rankings system for elite players since Pin Action magazine went bye bye at the start of 1991. Tournament players always looked to the Pin Action points over the ATBC list. I know my explanation of how it works sounds a little confusing, i'm sure a few of the guys from that era can explain it better.

I don't mind the rolling points system that is currently in place, however. On the TBA website in the rankings area you can view your points, average over the tournaments you have bowled, etc etc.

What about setting up a table for those that are in the rankings system with the tournaments that are available with Rankings points. Then when the event is run then the bowlers who have entrered that event will have a running tally of the points they have accrued over the year.

I don't know about other bowlers but when I look at the rankings on the TBA website it is a little confusing when you see the number of points and the number of events only. Doesn't say much unless you keep your own personal record of the events you go in and the number of points from those events.

In doing this bowlers can look at not only what they got for a particular event but what other bowlers got in the events that they have entered. For example: George Frilingos has amassed 846 points from 14 tournaments. What did he enter? and what points did he get in what events to amass 846 points. Unless you ask George himself or John Coxon who looks after the ranking points who would know. If every bowler asked the question of what points did I get in what tournament can become time consuming for those involved.

I know the above might sould a little off track but if the detail of points was shown on the TBA website, I think it would be a good idea as I and probably a lot of other bowlers like to analyse what points I got and where.

Just my thoughts.

THANKS

DAVID SNIEDZE

Thanks for that Peter.

Didn't realise it was put on yesterday. That is exactly what i was talking about.

THANKS

DAVID SNIEDZE

I say, start from scratch each year, l started off with a bad average last year, but l changed leagues and my handicap and average started from 0, which gave me a chance to start over and try and start higher than l did before.

I personally prefer the roll over format for the points sytem though I do see the pro's and con's for both. Maybe have an official version and an unofficial one. For example the roll over system for the official points system and keep a tally for the 'start from zero' system elsewhere. How much effort would be required to say keep a scratch list on the leading bowling site in the country (tba - nah jokes right here on totalbowling). TBA can run it the same as they do now and totalbowling can list the year to date with all bowlers starting on 0 from 1st January. This would require effort though and may be too much effort for no reward. This is a descision for the admin's to weigh the pro's and cons over. Just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom