4 events a year, no more.

tonx

Stop accrediting events just for the sake of accrediting events.

From Outdated formats, to rubbish tournament patterns in centres that don't have adequate spectator areas or airconditioning. Add in crap prize funds and a rediculous cost for someone outside of QLD to compete for ranking points in the open division and you have our current tournament structure.

Bowlers do not enter every event because there is so many. They (including myself) pick and choose whether they need to enter the upcomming event or whether they prefer to spend a weekend with their families.

Here is my proposal.

1. Australian Open. This event should be ran in a premium centre in Victoria. Epping or Altona are the 2 stand out centres in this state. Why keep running the Australian Open in a Sh1thole of a centre.

2. NSW Open. This event should be ran in a premium centre in NSW. Commenting only on the centres ive been in, Lidcombe is the best centre in NSW, followed by Campbelltown. There may be others, but I haven't been in one yet.

3. Queensland Open/Australian Masters/Whatever you want to call it. This event should be ran in one of the better centres in QLD.

4. South Pacific Classic. This event should roam Australia. It should be held in a different centre in a different state each year. It should steer clear of rubbish centres without at least a kegel, airconditioning and plenty of spectator area.

The events should be well spaced out, to allow for careful planning by bowlers concerning accomm, flights, budgetting for events and time off work.

There should be highly structured state events and ranking points, which should incorporate current successfull state scenes with skins events and marathon events. Each state event should be accredited, and measures put in place so events DO NOT CLASH with other events during the year.

This suggested structure will allow tournament organisers to make sure everything is right before the event. IT will allow centres to advertise patterns well in advance and organise local media coverage of every event. It will allow promotors TIME to organise sponsorship, and it will drastically increase entry numbers to each event.

Instead of our best bowlers competing in 15 events to win 20-30k a year by winning everything, how about competing in 4 events, winning one of them, and taking home $50,000 for that win, with top 20 each making expenses back comfortably?

Having 4 events a year with substancial sponsorship and prize funds will also attract more international entries.

Bowlers will have more time to train, prepare and budget for these events. It will also give them more time to live their lives, rather than roam the country seeking ranking points at a severe financial loss.

I would love for someone to come up with a reason as to why 4 events are worse than our current structure. If nothing is done, and the same people keep screwing up tournaments, there will be NO events left. Those that have spent time, money and effort improving their games will have it all put to waste because there will simply be no national scene at all.

Anyone disagree?

p.s. This structure can be successfull with or without the support of you know who....

p.p.s I have already proposed this to the TBA several times. They seem to think nothing is wrong.

So let me see if I understand this - Switch Bowling Asia Pacific is sponsoring, for a not insignificant sum, The Switch Open at Innisfail in May this year - the sponsorship forms part of our relationship building and agreement with E-J Starky who upgraded his centre late last year with significant results and is our entry [as a company] to the Australian bowling scene [by way of support of bowling events I mean here]. Now what we are NOT going to do is spend money in non Switch equipped centres - we are in a tough market - we'll improve our presence over time but today Innisfail is where we are at...and will continue to be with this particular event. This is a logical commercial reality.

Now I'm pretty sure you're not - but if you're suggesting our money and presence isn't welcome that's OK - because we have just opened an office in Hong Kong and I'm happy to take our support to Hong Kong, Macau, China or the Philippines which are markets we also look after and I'd bet money they'll thank us for it.

So what I'm saying here is that there are other considerations that need to be thought out before people elect to take an axe to the tournament scene as it is and want to curtail it's development. I'm not suggesting you can't focus on restructure - but I might suggest that you don't just look at the concept of change from a single perspective.

ill be supporting innisfail and very much appreciated to have sponsors such as switch hopefully your bussiness will grow quickly and your sponsoship continues regards otty

So let me see if I understand this - Switch Bowling Asia Pacific is sponsoring, for a not insignificant sum, The Switch Open at Innisfail in May this year - the sponsorship forms part of our relationship building and agreement with E-J Starky who upgraded his centre late last year with significant results and is our entry [as a company] to the Australian bowling scene [by way of support of bowling events I mean here]. Now what we are NOT going to do is spend money in non Switch equipped centres - we are in a tough market - we'll improve our presence over time but today Innisfail is where we are at...and will continue to be with this particular event. This is a logical commercial reality.

Now I'm pretty sure you're not - but if you're suggesting our money and presence isn't welcome that's OK - because we have just opened an office in Hong Kong and I'm happy to take our support to Hong Kong, Macau, China or the Philippines which are markets we also look after and I'd bet money they'll thank us for it.

So what I'm saying here is that there are other considerations that need to be thought out before people elect to take an axe to the tournament scene as it is and want to curtail it's development. I'm not suggesting you can't focus on restructure - but I might suggest that you don't just look at the concept of change from a single perspective.

Hi Steve,

I think you have missed the point of Tonx post. He was not suggesting that they axe tournaments, it appears his idea is to have 4 'National' level events, with a 2nd tier for 'State' level events.

I agree totally with Tonx's vision as it puts a premium on 4 'Majors'.

With the current rankings/accreditation arrangement there is no incentive to bowl the big events interstate. Why would you want to travel to SPC when you can stay in your home state and get the same ranking points.

With a system of 4 majors, the ranking system could be made up of your best 3 finishes in these 4 events, plus points from your best 3 events at state level. This would allow bowlers to miss 1 major a year without being overly handicapped.

As Tonx has said, if the current system continues there wont be a tournament circuit left for you to sponsor!

Its time for the bowlers to have a say in the sport and help shape our future.

Are there really more than a dozen bowlers in Australia that give a toss about ranking points? Seriously?

Well run, well promoted tournaments tend to do very well. Most of the others don't.

If someone can raise the funds to put on 4 $50k tourneys over a year, at a reasonable cost, I guarantee they will be well attended even if they were held in a Woolies carpark at Tennant Creek. Ranked or not.

You summed it up perfectly RobbieB, there are only about a dozen or so people that care about the rankings.

That is because the system is not working and stops people caring. At the moment its a battle of who can bowl the most events. With a suggested 6 events counting, it would encourage more participation in the rankings. With more players able to get the 6 events done rather than 8, this would make the rankings more credible.

With the rankings being a major stepping stone to national team selection, a fair and more cost effective rankings system is required.

Here we go again, I had this VISION we only have 1 Tournament, on at the same time as the Olympics (every 4 years), we also have the Adults, Juniors and Seniors all bowling together(so we can get the numbers up), anybody else see IT.

What we need is MORE Tournaments, especially at a Centre level, at least 1 a Month, how many Centre's have this now, this is how you increase participation in Tournaments.

Or else my VISION will come True.

willey

Actually CT I didn't miss a thing - with respect, I got the entire message..here are a couple of other things that are worth considering by you and others.

1. We are moving into dark commercial times for everyone - it will be tough - it won't be a disaster - but hard it will be. Chaging things 180 degress are best NOT done under tough circumstances - timing IS everything.

2. The major supporter of bowling in this country is now owned by non emotional bankers - it's a pretty good idea NOT to disregard their financial support at any time but in tough times it's a very bad idea.

3. In such tough times you need to take care with what it is you wish for - it may well come true.

4. If you want to alter things fine - tread with care - respect what has come before and appreciate what you have now - gift horses don't come along all that often - the sport has massive competition for the dollar....and it won't get easier in the near term.

Here we go again, I had this VISION we only have 1 Tournament, on at the same time as the Olympics (every 4 years), we also have the Adults, Juniors and Seniors all bowling together(so we can get the numbers up), anybody else see IT.

What we need is MORE Tournaments, especially at a Centre level, at least 1 a Month, how many Centre's have this now, this is how you increase participation in Tournaments.

Or else my VISION will come True.

willey
On the money Willey, Chris and Steve. There is synergy in what all of you are saying.

Regardless of what we say though, I'd be betting on less national events next year. AMF want birthday parties and make it difficult to afford serious practice. And if you can't practice, you're less inclined to play. It makes me feel sick to say this, as I live in an AMF town where no affordable practice rate exists any longer.

A local/regional focus is exactly what bowling needs, but we have to build it ourselves since the collapse of the Grand Prix events (the brainchild of AMF's Steve Mackie who in the 1980's saw the need for a regional tournament circuit to encourage players to improve and aspire). This is why I'm such a fan of the Sport Series. It fills this need and it's bowlers doing it for bowlers.

Despite pockets of support for tournament bowling within the beast and substantial money allocated to events, recent discussions with a Regional Manager lead me to think that we can't count on AMF beyond this year. They behave more like a bank all the time and their customer is the insatiable shareholder (more banks) and the markets have now turned south. They have to feed the hungry shareholder mouths. We're already seeing a return to the 80's where AMF focuses on non-returning high margin social play and a narrow adherence to "margin per unit" irrespective of overall lineage, the lifeblood of a bowling centre. AMF Managers are incentivised on this basis and incentives drive behaviour. Good incentives drive good behaviour and vice versa.

Our relationship with the independents is what will keep the sport alive as they also focus on dependable (if lower margin) subscription business, such as league and tournaments. In an independent centre, the owner is usually only a door away, instead of in another state. They really are accountable.

So I'm looking forward to the Sports Series, Orange, Bathurst and the like. Viva la Independents!

Having Adult, Junior, Youth & Seniors divisions all bowling at the same time, isnt the answer. All that does is shorten the number of entry's in the Adult section that is already critically short as there are a number of Youth & Senior bowlers that still bowl the Adult tournaments.
Take out the Senior & Youth bowlers out of the S.A. Cup on the weekend & you would have been lucky to have 40 bowlers.

Anyway hasnt this topic of 4 Majors, less ranked tournaments & improved State circuits all been thrashed out on totalbowling several times in the past.

As Jason said,
Regardless of what we say though, I'd be betting on less national events next year. AMF want birthday parties and make it difficult to afford serious practice. And if you can't practice, you're less inclined to play.

S.A. Cup will be the 1st tournament next year that will not be on the calendar.

How can you justify pumping $1,000 of dollars of sponsorship into a tournament that attracts 52 Men & 15 Women.

If it wasn't dead already then the financial crises will effectively kill tournament bowling in this country stone cold dead.

The obituary will read that 67 people attended its death bedside at Cross Roads in SA over the Australia Day weekend but failed to raise its spirits and it died a slow and agonizing death.

It will be shown that the subsequent investigation found that the TBA and Macquarie were among a number of parties named as being contributors before the fact but the overall report was inconclusive. Although it should be pointed out that it did mention a blast from the past in the ATBC, that AMF had contributed in 10 - 30 cent annual increments over the last 20 odd years and a Virgin had added some weight to its problems only just recently.

RIP Australian Tournament bowling 1961 - January 25th 2009. You will be sadly missed by many.

Hi all i dont know if i am speaking just for myself or many other people share my view. I myself would love to see more tournament the more the better. Guys the more tournaments the more options you have ie. distance you want to travel, costs and time. The more tournaments you have the more places you go and inspire young players to want to compet this inturn increses support for tournament bowling in this country. The more people who bowl tournaments the more people companeys feel will be exposed to their brand and there for the more willing they would be to give us money to run touenaments.

I thank the guys form switch bowling for their support and i will do my best to bowl and support them.

Guys truly we winge when there are no tournaments and we winge when there are to many come on lets support as many as we can weather its one or many you choose to bowl.

Capitalization, punctuation, spelling and sentence structure are definitely not C. Carney's strong points, but at least he's thinking of ways to improve the Australian tournament scene. Thank you!

The important tning to remember is that there are many choices for the sport bowler and to keep a level of competition to encourage all.

Many bowl in Teams - ID, Bowl Sydney, Pennants etc, State League circuit, state teams, Holt etc

Many bowl as individual in tournaments, ranked, non-ranked, sport series etc

Although traveling problems, costs and numbers might dampen the open, bigger $ winning tournaments, they are but a few of the many choices for the sport bowler.

I think economy will dictate the number of these events.

Leanne

Well how about we lower it to either 6 or 8 tournaments then you can hold at least 1 event in each state and then 1 in the ACT. Then you have your tournaments set up and evenly spaced so you have time to organise everything. With 15 National Ranked Tournaments for Men is just to many to begin with. Including Adult Nationals. If we have 6 or 8 it will be much better off and you will get the bowlers to each event.

Youth - I think we only need 7 events for Youth to be supportive of the events.

Then you can work your Sports Series Events around the National Events.

Hi all i dont know if i am speaking just for myself or many other people share my view. I myself would love to see more tournament the more the better. Guys the more tournaments the more options you have ie. distance you want to travel, costs and time. The more tournaments you have the more places you go and inspire young players to want to compet this inturn increses support for tournament bowling in this country. The more people who bowl tournaments the more people companeys feel will be exposed to their brand and there for the more willing they would be to give us money to run touenaments.

I thank the guys form switch bowling for their support and i will do my best to bowl and support them.

Guys truly we winge when there are no tournaments and we winge when there are to many come on lets support as many as we can weather its one or many you choose to bowl.

Surely quality would be better than quantity.

Your average tournament bowler isnt going to bowl more than 6-7 tournaments a year probably so I cant see having 15 tournaments a year averaging 50-65 bowlers per tournament is better than having 7 tournaments with 100 bowlers.

Fewer tournaments, more bowlers, cheaper entries, better prize funds.

compared to

**** loads of tournaments, high entry fees to make decent prize funds, prize funds slashed when you dont get the entries the prize fund was based on.

Know what Id prefer.

But each to his own.

I would like to see a maximum of 6 Ranked events a year. Nothing should be accredited that goes up against a Ranked event and the Ranking status should be withdrawn the following year if the entrant numbers are not there. Ranked events with a handful of bowlers make a joke of the whole thing.
It wouldn’t be hard to pick next years 6 Ranked events – just go on the top 6 attendances this year.

I think there should be at least 4 and no more than 8 ranked events each year.these should all be considered "major" type events if you like and as per many posts on these pages, state events that are accredited, contribute on a lower point scale than the top tier. So in effect, you have two tier structure, rewarding performance at the "major events" and still getting points if you can compete and do well in state level events in the 2nd tier.

Guys the more tournaments the more options you have ie. distance you want to travel, costs and time. The more tournaments you have the more places you go and inspire young players to want to compet this inturn increses support for tournament bowling in this country.

Easy to say but try telling those that don't live on the East Side of Australia. With less national tournaments it gives those of us who have to travel a chance to plan and prepare and set aside the costs involved not to mention time off work with people having to take an extra day or too (Friday/Monday) to travel.

While I agree in having more tournaments to bowl so that people can better and test themselves against hard/er competition this should be done at state level where people can still gain knowledge and experience and then have the big 4/6 national tournaments to play against the best in Aus for the best titles, trophies and greenbacks. Just my opinion.

Cheers,
Bobba

Back
Top Bottom