Too much emphasis on National Competition?

tonx

4 nationally organised TBA events events a year. Put every single bit of sponsorship that we get for the current scene into those 4 events. Make them 4 must attend events, with large prize funds and organised tournament committees.

4 events could be:

Australian Open - Melbourne
SPC - NSW
Sports Final - QLD
SA cup - SA

These 4 events ran in the 4 seasons, giving people heaps of time to plan for attendance. Money will be less of an issue if we have 200 entrants and compete for $100grand prize money between the field.

1 large state event once a month. These state events should be supported heavily by the countries best, as well as a great preparation for the 4 majors. These events have ranking points.

Attendance to these state events won't be an issue, as it has already proven that state events get awesome support by Dillans events in Vic, Cows events in NSW and the series up in QLD. SA and WA are also growing, and with something to work towards, only have room to expand. With less national events, there becomes more participants per event, and therefore more chance to add value for sponsors.

There are also centre representitive tournaments, skins events, and great value traditional state events like Warnambool cup down Victoria, and i'm sure similar events elsewhere.

Money is rarely an issue with the state events, because things like accommodation and travel costs are reduced greatly. Because there are less events, fringe bowlers can afford to compete on a more regular basis, giving them the valuable experience to take their game to the next level.

Who loses in this scenario?

Tonx - if the pressure on national events is such now that it needs to be cut back [and I'll take your word for it because I don't know for sure] - then your suggestion is to have 4 super tournaments a year - and the rest of the event schedule across the country to be as is [or more or less depending on market forces] -is a good one. Of course every man and his dog will have an opinion [and rightly so] on when and where the super events should be - but instead of picking them pre determined ...could it not work so that there is a set criteria and the promoters that can reach or exceed this criteria get to be part of the super 4 [and if this differs annually then so be it]. Very much a case of the rich VS the rest - but being fair and equal to all doesn't work and is not in the best interests of the game...so let the "go getters go"?

Steve,

Your question asked in the first sentance brings up the goal of the entire topic.

Bowlers complaints about national tournaments (apart from scoring and way things happen at the actual events) is including, but not limited to the following.

Too expensive
Not good Value
Takes too much time away from family life
Too much travelling
only 60-70 entries into tournaments that used to have 150 entries
Sick of getting pumped every event by the high end bowlers because the fringe is spending more time competing, and less time practising
Tournament results mean very little now compared to the "old days" financially as well as in regards to representitive selection.
Alot of tournaments clash with other events in the same state.

4 National events a year improves prestige, time and money restrictions, practise time availability and instead of bowlers picking and choosing national events to compete in, they compete in all national events and pick and choose their state events.

I'm all for promoters to compete for the rights to hold an event if thats what it takes to massively improve the prize purse that we bowlers compete for. Maybe then the prestige of holding a nationally ranked tournament could then be restored? Names like Australian OPEN, South Pacific Classic, etc might mean something once again?

Good idea Tonx. But heres my two cents worth. At the moment their are 14 ranked tournaments on the calendar which I think everyone agrees is way to many. Have each state host their own national event:

Qld - Sports final or K & K
NSW - NSW Open
Vic - Australian Open
SA - SA Cup
NT - Arafura Classic
A.C.T - Brunswick Australia Cup
WA - "New national event on the west coast"

7 National events spread evenly throughout the year. Now in regards to the SPC, this should be and needs to be our international event. All that sponsorship and money and whatever else should be put in to make the SPC appealing to international bowlers and a chance for Australian Tenpin Bowling to be apart of the world stage. I might be speaking as if im from another planet here, but if the SPC can be a successful and prestigous international event, it can only benifit our 7 national events. Who knows, years from now we all could be apart of the ABT (Australian Bowling Tour) like those in Europe, Asia and US.

Anyway I better get back to sleep

Have each state host their own national event:
Qld - Sports final or K & K
NSW - NSW Open
Vic - Australian Open
SA - SA Cup
NT - Arafura Classic
A.C.T - Brunswick Australia Cup
WA - "New national event on the west coast"

By the looks of it, us foreigners must've finally seceeded from Australia then...

Seems this topic has been thrashed around for the last 12-14 months from what I can see.

The exact same suggestions and same ideas being put forward then as now about halving the number of ranked national tournaments from the current 14 to approx 7-8.

i.e. 4 majors, 2-3 lesser national tournaments run in conjunction with each states local sports series.

Whats going to change this time around.

In my opinion the 4 Super events sounds good even tho its just a cut back on the Super 6 Series that is failing now (if its even still in place, sorry out of touch).

When you look at an event like the K & K and why they get a great turnout for the tournament in my opinion is because they have a dedicated Tournament Committee to run this event. People like Mary Flower, Kirsty Mills etc who go out of their way to make sure everyone is accommodated for.

A committee to put together a package for each of the 4 events would be a MUST to cut back on expenses. If things like a set price with a airline company (depending on which state you were coming from) were available then great (if thats possible at all I know), also to make sure the bowlers were all staying relatively close to one another with accommodation to make it more of an enjoyable social event.

Prices for accommodation were organised and things like tranfers to and from airports were organised and to and from the hotels/motels to the bowl. There are many things a tournament committee could put together as a "PACKAGE" to entice more bowlers to attend these events and to make it clear how much its going to cost. Hopefully saving as much for the bowler as possible.

That's just my thoughts.

Someone new to say they thought of it first, thought that was obvious!!

Yes, it was obvious.

Suppose if it gets thrahed around for enough years & the right person suggests it someone might get off there arse & do something about it.

:rolleyes::p:mad::confused:

Sean, just a correction - I have not been involved with the K & K since the first year - others are responsible for the continued success of this event, especially the sponsors.

I am ONLY running Twin Tour, Ladies Classic and Sundays for Seniors these days !!

Flower

Someone new to say they thought of it first, thought that was obvious!!

When was the last time you did something beneficial for the national level competition?

How about instead of being a douche, reply with something I can include in the report and suggestions I wish to send to the TBA and their new CEO? Oh thats right, you would rather be a moron on a national forum. Well done, you have acheived your goal.

Stay out of the topic if you have nothing that I can add, or write your own report to help the sport. Dare not to attempt to belittle those looking to make things happen, you will look like you have in this thread.

Now that I've dealt with that rubbish...

Thanks for the people that have added something to the topic so far. Unfortunately it's not enough on its own to include in the report. Any more appropriate discussion would greatly help my goal.

I have heard that AMF are looking to drop the super 6, so us bowlers who actually care will have to get something started to improve things as soon as possible. The state events are so successful, it seems natural progression to increase their viability first, to boost the profile of the sport on a lower level, then rebuild it from there.

Keep the discussion going.

Oh ok sorry Mary but I think people get my point that I was trying to make....that is to have a specialized Tournament Committee for each event that can prepare a PACKAGE deal to make these events more appealing.

Personally I agree that if we cut the national "tour" to 4 major events, thus giving each event more money to offer entrants, it may also encourage overseas competitors, which will only lift the profile of the events and bowling in Australia in General.

I'm in Singapore at the moment for work and I was walking back to my hotel from the office and I was amazed when I saw posters on every lightpost between my office and my hotel promoting the Singapore international tournament on later this month. This is the kind of work that needs to be done to try and bolster the sports ailing image in this country (or better to say, ressurect the dead image).

I also think Sean M is onto a fantastic idea of entry/accomodation packages, where the tournament promoters could canvas local hotels to provide bulk rates to the tournament bowlers, so they can be the tournaments "official accomodation provider", perhaps on a twin share basis, or you could even offer a few different packages, that way the bowlers have more choices.

I also like the idea of an independent tournament committee, that could decide who will run the events, and let centres tender for rights to host each event.

One of the downfalls for our sport of tenpin in this country unlike in countries like Singapore (for example) is the choice of sports the Juniors/Youth/Adults have here. Lets look at broad spectrum of sports we have.....Cricket, Rugby, AFL, Surfing, Tennis, Golf, Surf-Life Saving/Nippers, Swimming you get the idea.

Countries like Singapore and the like have or usually have a gazillion more population and don't have the freedom or should I say accessability to go down to the local park and kick a footy around. That's the way I look at it in my opinion anyway.

Sad but true.

Back
Top Bottom