SA Seniors Classic - Increased Prizefund

Brenton_Davy

900Global bowler
As a result of gaining extra sponsorship, the prizefund for the SA Seniors classic has been increased as follows - (same for males and females)

1st - $1250
2nd - $625
3rd - $425
4th - $325
5th - $275
6th - $225
7th - $195
8th - $185
9th - $180
10th - $175
11th - $170
12th - $165

Village Bowl has kicked in an EXTRA $550 over and above its current commitment and an anonymous sponsor has contributed an extra $500 on the proviso it be added to guaranteed 1st place.

To Lefty-Can't Carry:
Village Bowl is trying to put together a tournament for the seniors that they hope to grow in future years. Village Bowl is a small independent operation not privy to the resources that are Canberra International Bowl and the like. In addition, one sponsor has reduced the amount of sponsorship they are giving to this years event and, as a result, others have had to be found willing to fill the shortfall. As a result, the organisers cannot offer the type of prizefund the Canberra event could.

Many of the larger tournaments around today had humble beginnings such as these and have grown over the years to become established (relatively) well paying events. Village Bowl hopes to achieve this in time.

For a copy of the entry form, please see www.tenpin.org.au or call the centre on (08) 8289 3001

Hi Brenton
This is great news. I am sure that the bowlers appreciate this. One idea to encourage more bowlers to enter, would be to change the format, and bowl over the 2 days. To come from interstate and bowl just one day if you dont make the cut is not as interesting as if you KNOW that you have to bowl on the Sunday. Canberra did this, and it was a very successful tournament. Some of Mary Flowers tournament are over the 2 days, and she get a great turn up. Perhaps next year.

Everyone has different ideas re tournament formats etc....as a sometimes traveller these days, the idea of 2 squads on the Saturday ( one early and one later) allowing for interstaters to save a night's accom., meals, drinkies etc. by flying in on Sat. morning appeals more to me. I would rather savour the Barossa AFTER the tourn. if I wish to spend an extra day there!! I have a phobia going back to the early days of my bowling - I was PART of the tournament on Saturday in my bowling gear etc. but when qualifying was over on the one day and I MISSED OUT AGAIN, Sunday was a bad day just waiting around - sure you interact with the other bowlers but inside I was eating my heart out not to be a PART of that tourn.

This is not intended as a criticism at all. I know only too well the difficulties obtaining and KEEPING sponsors, keeping tourn. bowlers from deserting this sport we love - each tourn. director has different pressures to contend with and my 'old fashioned' view of bowling - to be PART of each tournament is my passion.....within the boundaries of the $$$$ we can now afford!!!!!!!!

FLOWER

I am very disappointed to read the new prizefund distribution for the 2005 Sth Australian Seniors Classic.

Whilst I appreciate sponsors and the vital part they play, in the "Seniors" there is NO need to try and lure bowlers based on a large 1st prize we are all well past that sort of thing. The Seniors is more about coming together to have a good time, bowl a few games and spreading the prize fund evenly among as many as possible.

Brenton $1,250 for first and $625 for second is far to unbalanced (you must be bowling well). If the new sponsor "insisted" that their $500 going to the winners, perhaps you should have given $250 to the top qualifiers in both divisions.

Compared to the 2005 Melbourne Cup the prize fund seems lopsided both based on 30 starters

SA Classic Melbourne Cup
Entry Fee $185 $145

1st $1200 $1000
2nd $ 625 $ 700
3rd $ 425 $ 500
4th $ 325 $ 400
5th $ 275 $ 375
6th $ 225 $ 350
7th $ 195 $ 325
8th $ 185 (Money back) $ 300
9th $ 180 $ 275
10th $ 175 $ 250
11th $ 170 $ 225
12th $ 165 $ 200 (Money back + $55)

I assume that both tournaments are based on approx the same sponsorship and a game rate of no more than $5 there seems to be an inbalance in distrbution.

However no matter what the format is I will be there as I just love the
Seniors

Steve,

Please don't shoot the messenger. My involvement in this event is purely as sponsor, participant and, in this case, messenger. The tournament organisers are trying to obtain further sponsorship and should further sponsors be obtained prior to the event, then the prizefund will be further amended in a positive manner.

Look forward to seeing you here.

Should be a great event, as was last years (although I may be biased).
This year could be a bit of a lottery, however.
Will be bowled on new synthetic lanes which are not yet installed.
Work to start (hopefully) in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
Am looking forward to putting my first ball down on the new surface.
Interesting times ahead for Village bowl.
Looking forward to seeing as many seniors in Adelaide as can make it.

Seniors SA Cup Prize fund

I reaslise that Village Bowl is only a small bowl, and like others, appreciate that sponsers(hard to get) are the main reason that tournaments are able to be run, and we DO appreciate the effort that has gone and goes into the organisation of this event.

It is wonderful that extra money has been added to the prizefund.

However, my personal feelings are that the money could have been distributed a bit better.

I'm sure most bowlers were happy with the top end of the prize fund,and would be going even if that was not increased, but my point was that the bowlers at the lower end were not being taken care of.

If you make the cut and don't even get cash back, you still feel like you have lost.

If the 12th place bowler gets money back, at least they will feel as if they have achieved some success, and if there was consolation money for 13th & 14th place, the incentive would be to make the trip again.

Also, I think that breaking the tournament into 2 days makes the trip more worthwhile, so that visitors can enjoy the sights while waiting to bowl.

If I were making the decisions, that's the way I would go, but that is just my personal view.

Re: Seniors SA Cup Prize fund

Lefty-Can't Carry said:
I

If you make the cut and don't even get cash back, you still feel like you have lost. .

this is pretty pertinent to this years event, when you consider that the option of flying in Saturday morning has been taken away. Add another nights accommodation and meals, extra nights car hire, and the loss of a days pay (depending on where you have to fly from to get to adelaide at a decent time), and it makes for a pretty expensive trip. You at least would like to get your entry money back if you make the cut!

BUT:
we'll be there, regardless -

Broni & Jagga 8)

[/quote]

I agree, am coming over to bowl regardless if top prize money was increased or not, but would have liked to see increase in the bottom half of the cut. I don't win many events but I always have a chnce of cashing which makes the trip worthwhile as it gives my partner and myself a chance to see some of the sights.

Just like to advise that Joe Tomasinski will have to pull out of this tournament due to work committments. Please forward my deposit to my home address.
Thanks

Is there a possibility of posting the names of the entries for the SA Senior Classic and their squads? Would be a help to interstate ppl to make plans.

It would be great to see a list of bowlers who have entered. It would also reassure me that the money order I sent was received. :D :D

By the way Chelsey, you might want to let your mum know that there is no B squad. There is only 1 squad for this event.

Liz

All 24 brand new synthetic lanes are now installed and up and running along with brand new pins also.

They were installed gradually from Easter and completed about a month ago and now that the settling-in period is now just about over the lanes are producing a pretty good scoring condition.

Both sides of the lane seem to have a even chance which is only fair. ;)

I think everyone coming over for this event (which is now just 4 weeks away) will be pleasantly surprised.

Looking forward to seeing everyone here. :p

We'll start the squad list for you Brenda ;)

Rod Stewart Vic
Allan Smith Vic
Lawrie Hill Qld
Gary Bernardin Qld
Barry Morgan Qld
Alan McKay Qld
Ann Kirby Qld
Vaughan White Qld
Greig Lyas SA
Brenda Kirkwood WA?

we'll be there, don't know about anyone else!!! See you soon ;)

Broni

SQUAD LISTING FOR THE 2005 BRUNSWICK SA SENIORS CLASSIC as of 6/7/05
(Remember its just one squad this year)

Gary Bernardin
Vaughan White
Brenda Kirkwood
Brenda Thorpe
Bill Thorpe
Ken Coomber
Regina Crocker
Maxine Forrest
Josie Adams
Rod Stewart
Ingrid Coburn
Allan Smith
Chris Benson
Mick May
Ann Kirby
Alan McKay
Laurie Hill
Jim Wolf
Julie Hird
Douglas Lenton
Barry Morgan
Gunther Czmok
John Romanelli
Trevor Crabb
Bob Smith
Jill Morris
Janette Baker (DC)
Greig Lyas (DC)
Mike Kennedy
Steve Kiss
Dorothy Taylor
Marg Dollman
Shirley Vreugdenburg
Rudi Gross
Fred Leverink
Bill Johnson
Nola Downie
Jeff Elliott
Rex Mead
Di Stephenson
Bette MacDonald
Peter Schoessow
Sue Raphael
Robyn Flynn
Geoff Barry
Ian Fraser
Peter Smith
Brenton Davy
Tony Freudenstein
Tony Stoppell

As Greig mentioned the new synthetic lanes have been down for a few weeks now and already we have begun seeing some high scores.

We look forward to seeing you all at the end of the month

Thanks,
VILLAGE BOWL

Hi there

On your squad list you don't have

John Sullivan
David Jordan
Stephen Bell

I thought we had advised the boys from SA at the Melbourne Cup to enter us, could you please add us the the squad

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom