Olympics

Should Tenpin Bowling Be in the olympics?

• Total voters
Interesting Phluff - I hadn't considered the drug issue with Pro Baseball - certainly won't help - but I'd bet against Karate - there has been an undercurrent of anti violence sports within the IOC for some time [frankly I've heard this from a few who should know and some even have pushed for the elimination of boxing on the medal agenda] and the Tae Kwon Do inclusion for Sydney was brought about simply because Dr Kim was so powerful within the IOC himself. Anyway, and at the end of the day, none of this betters bowlings chances in light of my two main points made in an earlier email on the topic.

I see the luck in bowling being the messenger to collect the 10. Tripping the two pin out of a 2-10. They are lucky breaks. A brooklyn is just a horrible shot that shouldn't be a mark, let alone a strike.

But that is a part of the game you can never change - bowling is about knocking over 10 pins and it doesn't matter how as long as it's within the rules. If you can keep knocking over 10 pins by throwing brooklyn, then good luck to you.

I agree regarding the conditions and balls however. I still believe there is no excuse in sanctioned leagues for no oil to exist outside 10 on both side of the lane. I think house leagues should be tightened up, but I got shot down last time I suggested it and expect this time to be no different.

Sorry but I can't see bowling being an Olympic sport this century.

However, it is one of the few sports that can potentially reward people for missing. What's worse... missing by 6 boards at the pins is exceedingly better then missing by 3 boards.
Isn't that totally wrong?
In archery, if you miss... you miss. There is not other 'bullseye' in case you tug it. It ain't there. You get 25 instead of 100. Boom.
Later Da Cowman!
Stephen, did you see the Chinese shooter who missed the target altogether but was awarded a bullseye? You don't need targets if the official doing your scoring is from your home country. I stand by my previous point about subjective scoring in some events - the bias shown by some judges/countries has been unbelievable. I have to wonder just where corruption starts and finishes with these games. Add the drugs. It ain't no level playing field. The olympics is just a joke these days, in my opinion.

Lets make bowling like diving, bowl your game and then the judges give a score based on how the strikes and spares were made.

Lets make bowling like diving, bowl your game and then the judges give a score based on how the strikes and spares were made.

No chance, I would barely make a 3.6.

I may get a few strikes on the board but very rarely do they look 'pretty'. Though, maybe when I hit the 3-6 or 2-4 'Pockets' and they all fall down I might get some extra points based on 'Artistic Talent'. :p

And at almost every level these are rare. I'm not saying they don't happen. They just don't happen as much as bowling.
Bowling simply has too much of this. Because we bowl on ditches and instead of improving our utmost basics. Most people just learn to hit it harder...
I see the luck in bowling being the messenger to collect the 10. Tripping the two pin out of a 2-10. They are lucky breaks. A brooklyn is just a horrible shot that shouldn't be a mark, let alone a strike.

Who care how "bad" your game/shot looks! If a game comes down to the fact i have had a "bad" shot to win and my opponent stared carrying on and wanted my win taken away because it wasnt correct or pretty I would knock them the f**k out. Seriously, I will smash them right in the f****g nose!
At the end of the game if you are 'lucky' (for lack of a better word) enough to win good on ya.

Jason Motta
PS. Get bowling in the olympics or skirmish, i dont care which one!

[QUOTE Get bowling in the olympics or skirmish, i dont care which one![/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that jase. the police and emergency services games have tenpin bowling and Paintball :). im thinking of trying out for the bowling in the police and emergency service games, since im a firefighter thought i might make my name on the bowling scene hehe. i totally agree bowling and or skirmish(lets start a skirmish team heheh) would be awsome thanks for posting on my topic i made

cheers

and thanks to everyone for the imput

Simon Egan

Who care how "bad" your game/shot looks! If a game comes down to the fact i have had a "bad" shot to win and my opponent stared carrying on and wanted my win taken away because it wasnt correct or pretty I would knock them the f**k out. Seriously, I will smash them right in the f****g nose!
At the end of the game if you are 'lucky' (for lack of a better word) enough to win good on ya.
Jason Motta
PS. Get bowling in the olympics or skirmish, i dont care which one!

hi guys,

I know of several players who i reckon strikes should not be strikes, main one i see is tix, luckest guy i have seen, but as one guy said to me, legal ball on legal lane, end of story, unless your ball is illegal a strike is a strike

Cowman, how about Basket Ball, it hits the back board and goes in, it becomes a Bullseye, does three laps of the ring and goes in it's a Bullseye, no different to Brooklyn.

Did someone mention Drugs, I laughed when I seen those Jamaicans and the Muscles, they were just the Girls. Remember Raylene Boyle, could run 11 sec flat, never had a Muscle on her. I used to laugh when I watched Flo Jo, she reminded me of the Coyote when he dropped the Acme Pills to chase the Road Runner, same Legs. I think she must have been Caught at her last Olympics and told to Retire. Again the only rivals to the Jamaicans were the USA, they had the same Muscles.

Usain Bolt, 100 metres easing up and still breaks the World Record, faster than Ben Johnson who was on Horse Steroids, sure, I would love to know the real thoughts of someone like Raylene, who was commentating at the Olympics.

willey

Should bowling be allowed into the Olympics, yes.
Will it within the next two or three Oly games, prob not.

If I have an idea/concept that I wish to introduce to my work colleagues, I push and sell the idea of it. I literally flog it to death. Steve jones mentioned this in an earlier post. We need people from within, to push..Without it, I am guessing we are but one of many other sports who would love to join the global bosum of the Olympics........

Perception, from non bowlers maybe/possible that bowling is a game... A game with luck riding on itself, or worse still, a recreational event... Fitness levels/body shape and general physical fitness levels are not as high as in many other sports. I'm sorry to say, but its true...Perception of the av bowler is another consideration in how our sport is viewed. How many are 6ft ,good looking, well defined, low BMI (body mass index), score well on a beep test?????..:confused:
However bowling is not about your cardio, nor being overly defined (muscular). Bowling is about one thing, consistancy. This one feature makes the sport so unique.. To be consistant, the fundamentals have to be there and demonstrated from shot to shot, game to game... Consistancy is a skill, a much desired one at that in the sport of bowling. Perception of bowling is a issue that will always need to be addressed.

I may be able to beat belmo, one game out of 24 maybe (LOL!!) , but he'll always beat me at the end of the day. Why? Consistancy, he is simply BETTER. He has highly developed skills, these skills have been developed over a sustained period of time. I can't copy, I can't duplicate, and I can't fluke what he has. These skills have been developed over a long period of time, and I do NOT poccess the skills at that elite level that can be reproduced on a consistant basis, thats where Belmo and others are at.I'm not, sadly..:( In sport, really any sport, its the accumulation and development of skill acquisition, and the ability to be able to reproduce when need to (in tournaments).How can other people appreciate this who are non bowlers.. An idea is for bowling to be done over a larger block of games than 8 or 16 even... You can't beat any pro over 24/32 games or so.... Luck has NOTHING to do with it. Class always beats arse in the long run!!

I can remember my parents enjoying watching bowling at the Commonwealth Games in Malaysia (I think). They really did.. They are not bowlers, but they knew the name of Cara Honeychurch..OMG.. Bowling is a very watchable sport.

I think the average joe would love watching bowling, it appears easy on the eyes to watch, score and understand the rules. All good.. Surely more bloody interesting that watching some of the other "new" sports that have been included.

Take it easy
LOTP :p:D

I don't believe bowling belongs in the Olympics for the simple reason that the playing field is not fair to all participants. The bowler who performs best isn't always the same one who ends up in first place. This reason and this reason alone is enough to keep our sport out of the Olympics

Bowling is a completely fair sport if you give it the right grading system and the competing field is even.

Should bowling be allowed into the Olympics, yes.
Will it within the next two or three Oly games, prob not.
If I have an idea/concept that I wish to introduce to my work colleagues, I push and sell the idea of it. I literally flog it to death. Steve jones mentioned this in an earlier post. We need people from within, to push..Without it, I am guessing we are but one of many other sports who would love to join the global bosum of the Olympics........
Perception, from non bowlers maybe/possible that bowling is a game... A game with luck riding on itself, or worse still, a recreational event... Fitness levels/body shape and general physical fitness levels are not as high as in many other sports. I'm sorry to say, but its true...Perception of the av bowler is another consideration in how our sport is viewed. How many are 6ft ,good looking, well defined, low BMI (body mass index), score well on a beep test?????..:confused:However bowling is not about your cardio, nor being overly defined (muscular). Bowling is about one thing, consistancy. This one feature makes the sport so unique..

As an Aussie rules player i would go with the top part..........:D

And this qould go much the same as Archery, shooting ect.

Bowling 'was' in the commonwealth games, right? I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed into the olympics.

The playing field IS fair to all participants. If you don't read what ever pattern they lay down, & bowl better than everyone else, then of course you're not going to deserve a gold medal. Medals aren't based on ability, they are based on who wins. It just so happens that a fair majority of the other sports allow the people with the most ability to win.

It seems that there are a few of you out there who don't get what I was talking about. When I said that the playing field isn't 'fair' to all bowlers, I was talking about the simple fact that ONE MAN, THE PERSON WHO SETS THE OILING PATTERN,CAN DETERMINE WHO DOES OR DOESN'T SCORE WELL. wITH A QUICK PUSH OF A BUTTON, THE LANEMAN CAN MAKE THE HOTTEST BOWLER IN THE WORLD LOOK RIDICULOUSLY OVERMATCHED.

Ok Mr Chester there is no need to shout.

Going on your arguement we may as well have no tournaments at all.

The world championships are on now and are we questioning the lane conditions?

Wayne, the World Championships are on and no one is dominating because of varying Patterns, Short or Long, I think they should add an Intermediate Pattern. Now the Button Presser is taken out of the Equation.

willey

Back
Top Bottom