Olympics

Should Tenpin Bowling Be in the olympics?

• Total voters
3. A Good Spectacle?
As a lover of bowling I will go to a centre to watch a tournament and tape and watch any bowling on TV. But really, unless you are a devotee, bowling is not the most enthralling hour to watch. Again, more akin to pool, rack them up and pot the balls again and again.

Ok, a fair call but how about the 1500m freestyle? or any other long distance race for that matter...

Probably just me here, but I can't sit and watch these events on TV without a break let alone sitting in the grandstand. :surrender:

I think it would be good to have bowling in the olympics. There is so many professional sportsmen out there getting medals. It would be good to see the everyday people getting some glory and a chance to represent there country. Isn't that what the olympics are for. This is why I would rather watch the table tennis than the over inflated egos of the high profile tennis players.

I think one of the problems bowling has over other sports in the Olympics is that organisers try to make it overly technical by altering the lane conditions to be almost unplayable.

Everyone seems to have their own opinion on this, but I actually think if bowling wants to be on the Olympics, it needs to have a wall shot. Hear me out here. If a social bowler (or even league bowler) turns on the TV to watch an Olympic bowler score 170 when they can score 200+ at home they won't think highly. However, if there is a wall shot, and the Olympians consistently score 220+, bowling will be seen in a better light to the general public.

Would the general public care about the oil conditions? No. Viewers want to see STRIKES, PIN ACTION... and high scores.

Of course, as bowlers, we will know what is happening, but the general public will be thinking 'wow, what great scores! They are the best in the world'

A strike-fest would guarantee viewers and if a bowler missed a shot, it would be very difficult to place in the medals... and the best in the world would still rise to the top.

A strike-fest would guarantee viewers and if a bowler missed a shot, it would be very difficult to place in the medals... and the best in the world would still rise to the top.

This is one of the reasons why bowling IS NOT in the Olympics right now. Bowlers already reach obscene scoring levels at home on their house shot. What makes Olympians appear special in a viewer's eyes is the fact that they're doing things that the spectator can only dream of doing.

You can't run a sub 10 second 100m
You can't win a game off of Rafael Nadal
You can't beat Michael Phelps in a swimming race...

but unfortunately you can beat the best bowler in the world on your house shot.

Well said Wayne.
That about covers it..
By the way I gave Dave Davis his 300
patch in Helsinki in 1987.it took that long.LOL

Andy Mckay

Just being honest Deano....
Yes, I'd like to see bowling in the Olympics, but in all honesty it won't happen for the reasons I wrote above. You know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it, so let's stop kidding ourselves and admit it. Or would you rather I pretend I'm ignorant?

What a load of horse s h i t, have you seen the diving, gymnastics or any other JUDGED event, any time some official judges an event it is not a level playing field, at least in bowling you hit the pins - they fall down, swimming - you touch the wall first you win, ect. ect.
I was watching the other night and saw trampolining, what the f**k!
Come on people get behind the SPORT of bowling, they are going to push for 20/20 cricket to become an olympic event why not bowling!
Trampolining, what a crock.

Sorry Wayne, didnt mean to add your quote to mine. Wanst supposed to be there and i was not saying it in reply to your qoute. Sorry again.

I don't believe bowling belongs in the Olympics for the simple reason that the playing field is not fair to all participants. The bowler who performs best isn't always the same one who ends up in first place. This reason and this reason alone is enough to keep our sport out of the Olympics

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a lot of sports which are scored by a group of judges? Who is to say they are 100% correct and not bias in ANY way at all. In the last time the individual synchronized swimming was held in 1992 the person who came second was awarded a gold 6 months later because it was so clear a mistake had been made.

Bowling is more popular and more widely played than so many sports already in the olympics. If the tug of war was once an olympic sport then nearly anything can be.

i think bowling should be introduced as a olympic sport,as mentioned bowling is a completly artificial sport but then so is bmx racing,which as of 2008 is a olympic sport,bmx just like bowling has variables which can determine success or failure such as

*unfamiliar to a certain style of track,(same as lane conditions)

*the range of different parts avaliable(weight and other specific specs.) that poorer countries might not be able to afford,or be able to get ahold of.(just like bowling balls)

and if someone was to look at a racer and say i have raced and beaten him before why arent i at the olympics it would be the same as bowling..though like all sports you would have smaller qualifying events leading up to an olympic qualifier and it would depend on whether you bowl well on these days,to whether you make the olympic team

sorry if ive mentioned something thats already been covered.

cheers

ryan.

Isnt bowling a sport? As such it should be eligable as an olympic event
If you dont want events that have luck involved then there wouldn't be any events IE hurdles we were lucky the american tripped on one of the hurdles
as for equipment we know there is a set standard of oil, lanes, pins and bowling balls. archery and cycling all have different equipment available and are allowed to use anybodys brand as long as it conforms to their sanctioning bodies rules so why shouldnt we? As for the luck side how many people would hand back their medals because someone had some bad luck meaning they had some good luck? none because evey sport has some element of luck!!!!
Bring it on make bowling an olympic event

Bowling is a sport. I don't think anyone is going to argue with you there.
However, it is one of the few sports that can potentially reward people for missing. What's worse... missing by 6 boards at the pins is exceedingly better then missing by 3 boards.
Isn't that totally wrong?
In archery, if you miss... you miss. There is not other 'bullseye' in case you tug it. It ain't there. You get 25 instead of 100. Boom.
It simply comes back to an understanding of the patterns that you are bowling on and what the Olympics and other big competitions are being competed. Most people don't realise or understand the difference. Mainly because it's not instantly noticable. Golf, Archery and Cycling. You can instantly see how hard it is. The narrowness of the fairway, the distance you have to shoot or even how many hills and the total distance of a bike race. However, every average joe looks at a bowling lane and see the same thing. Some arrows and pins. They don't know the difference between the US Open shot and a house shot. It's not totally their fault either.
The Gold, Silver and Bronze patterns that Belmo brought up awhile would be a fantastic start. It immediatly gives the average joe an idea of what's going on. They don't comprehend the terms 'flat' or 'ditched' like we do. They immediately understand the difference between a gold and bronze pattern however.

Later Da Cowman!

I hear people saying the Olympics is about entertainment and Average Joe wont watch, Bulls**t, i am an average Joe (as most people on here) when it comes to Softball/Diving/Gymnastics/water polo ect, meaning i cant do it, i have no interest in doing it, and i dont attend these 'sports', Yet when they were on T.V. and the Aussies were playing or going for Medals i was glued to the T.V, and i hang my left one on the fact most of you were too!
So to say that people wont get it or wont watch is not true, the average person is T.V land wont care, they will watch anything BECAUSE it is in the Olympics!
Ponder these comments for a little while and you will realize that i am correct! Have a good hard look at yourself and tell me truthfully that you have never watched some sport that you dont get or think is gay, or boring as hell just because it was on T.V or in the olympics! I have.

Bowling is a sport. I don't think anyone is going to argue with you there.
However, it is one of the few sports that can potentially reward people for missing. What's worse... missing by 6 boards at the pins is exceedingly better then missing by 3 boards.
Isn't that totally wrong?
In archery, if you miss... you miss. There is not other 'bullseye' in case you tug it. It ain't there. You get 25 instead of 100. Boom.
It simply comes back to an understanding of the patterns that you are bowling on and what the Olympics and other big competitions are being competed. Most people don't realise or understand the difference. Mainly because it's not instantly noticable. Golf, Archery and Cycling. You can instantly see how hard it is. The narrowness of the fairway, the distance you have to shoot or even how many hills and the total distance of a bike race. However, every average joe looks at a bowling lane and see the same thing. Some arrows and pins. They don't know the difference between the US Open shot and a house shot. It's not totally their fault either.
The Gold, Silver and Bronze patterns that Belmo brought up awhile would be a fantastic start. It immediatly gives the average joe an idea of what's going on. They don't comprehend the terms 'flat' or 'ditched' like we do. They immediately understand the difference between a gold and bronze pattern however.
Later Da Cowman!

the olympics are not for the average joe its for the elite in their chosen sport,
as for rewarding for a bad shot Golf mis**** into trees bounce out onto fairway, archery clout shoot missfire and wind gust sends arrow back into 10 count, or they happen to knock their triiger in a field shot but they still manage 10, hockey and soccer ball deflects of opposing team goal scored, clay target shooting miss the target and refs call it a hit. Any sport which requires a count can and does pay for a bad shot

Which sport do you think should be kicked out for Bowling?

BMX? Well that's part of cycling, so every bike event would have to go.
Sync Swimming? That's under Aquatics, so say goodbye to all swimming events.
Trampoline? There goes all gymnastic events.

There is only room for 28 sports on the IOC Summer Olympics Program.
Aquatics, Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Canoe / kayak, Cycling, Equestrian, Fencing, Football, Gymnastics, Handball, Hockey, Judo, Modern pentathlon, Rowing, Sailing, Shooting, Softball, Table tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Triathlon, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Wrestling.

Lucky enough, baseball & softball have been dropped from the 2012 program. There was a vote to elect 2 new sports to replace them, but they couldn't agree so there will only be 26 sports for the next Olympics.

This means that now is the best chance Bowling has of getting into the Olympics, but in order to get there somebody in the IOC needs be be singing the praises of Bowling louder than the people who want Golf, Squash, Rugby, Karate, Roller Sports there as well as those who want Baseball and Softball back on the list.

In the end, the sport isn't what is keeping Bowling off the program. It's not the oil patterns or ball designs or "luck" factor. It is the fact that at the top level of the IOC, there are few bowling fans.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a lot of sports which are scored by a group of judges? Who is to say they are 100% correct and not bias in ANY way at all. In the last time the individual synchronized swimming was held in 1992 the person who came second was awarded a gold 6 months later because it was so clear a mistake had been made.
Bowling is more popular and more widely played than so many sports already in the olympics. If the tug of war was once an olympic sport then nearly anything can be.

Getting off subject here but... Individual syncrhronised swimming! HOW DOES THAT WORK???

Cricket got included as an IOC recognised sport even though only 8 top countires take part plus others. There are another 80 countries that play it but they are so far behind they wont participate any time soon. At least with bowling there are plenty of countries with the talent. Of course the USA would be the heavyweights but you will see a challenge from us and the Europeans and Asia.

Phluff - my bet is that Baseball and Softball will return in 2016. The simple reason they have been removed is that the professionals who play the sport were not made available for team selection [baseball specifically - yet softball was pushed because of it's natural connection to baseball] - the USA of course is the prime focus here - but not exclusively. The IOC didn't like this given the success of pro's entering Olympic basketball teams [again most notably the US]. I would think that baseball/softball will have a big rethink of their position in the next few years and will push for re-entry sooner rather than later. Softball particualrly will feel the pain of not being an Olympic medal sport.

Steve:
I think it will be Squash & Karate / Golf. Squash was very close to being on the 2012 program, only missing out by a few votes.

I know Baseball are starting a "world cup" very soon as a way of showing to the IOC that they are popular and I believe it will include pro players. The biggest problem I see for baseball returning to the Olympics is that they MUST let pros play to have any serrious chance of getting back in, but will the volume of drug issues in pro baseball bite them on the bum? Given that the IOC want credibility brought back to the Olympics following the drug issues over the past years, would they feel comfortable letting someone like Barry Bonds play knowing how he is "tainted" with the drug cheat brush?

Softball's biggest plus is also it's biggest problem. It is the only "Women Only" sport on the program. The IOC love this fact, but they need a male only sport to balance it. This is why Baseball is there, so without Baseball I can't see Softball coming back.

the olympics are not for the average joe its for the elite in their chosen sport,
as for rewarding for a bad shot Golf mis**** into trees bounce out onto fairway, archery clout shoot missfire and wind gust sends arrow back into 10 count, or they happen to knock their triiger in a field shot but they still manage 10, hockey and soccer ball deflects of opposing team goal scored, clay target shooting miss the target and refs call it a hit. Any sport which requires a count can and does pay for a bad shot

And at almost every level these are rare. I'm not saying they don't happen. They just don't happen as much as bowling.

Bowling simply has too much of this. Because we bowl on ditches and instead of improving our utmost basics. Most people just learn to hit it harder...

I see the luck in bowling being the messenger to collect the 10. Tripping the two pin out of a 2-10. They are lucky breaks. A brooklyn is just a horrible shot that shouldn't be a mark, let alone a strike.

Back
Top Bottom