Olympics

Should Tenpin Bowling Be in the olympics?

• Total voters
The luck factor is in a number of accepted Olympic events. In tennis, a forehand shot can clip the net and drop to the ground. In Beach Volleyball a gust can carry the ball an extra 10cm and over the line. In cycling the rain could hit halfway through the road time trials leaving the first starters with a much faster course. The list goes on...

The fact that Bowling is the 2nd biggest event in the Special Olympics (behind Track & Field), holds a Commonwealth Championship recognised by the CGF, is part of the Youth Commonwealth Games and is a part of the Maccabiah Games isn't really important. Neither is the fact that as far as the IOC's 33 point criteria is concerned, Bowling out scores a number of existing events.

When it comes to the Olympics, in the eyes of the IOC, bowling isn't even in the top 5 sports being considered for Olympic inclusion. We rank behind those powerhouse sports such as golf, rugby, squash, karate and roller skating.

Belmo, it does matter what equipment the bowler uses for the simple fact that the IOC requires standardised equipment no matter what sport it is.

But dosent baseball some use a wooden bat still and some use a metal bat? What about the swimmers some of the lesser nations dont have the cash to even buy what a swimsuit like the aussies and the yanks. Dosent matter what equipment is used in a world cup or anything like that. Just let it in the olympics.

Belmo you travel the world if there was a single and doubles olympic competition, apart from the aussies winning who would be the other nations that would be competitive?

Deano

I'll keep this short and to the point. From 1992 until 2003 I spent a great deal of time working for bowling's push into the Olympics and as a result spent countless hours with people within the IOC at all levels.

With great respect to all those writing now and over the years - with a multitude of ideas as to why the sport is not yet a medal event - these are almost all just smoke and mirrors.

Two primary reasons relate...just 2.

1. Bowling has never had - and still doesn't have - someone at a very senior level within the IOC to push the sport. Phil Coles won the right for Triathalon to become a full medal sport in Sydney and Korea's Dr Kim ensured Tae Kwon Do is now a medal sport...just two examples. Nothing -well almost nothing - beats powerful internal influence to ensure a sport is promoted as a medal sport. Nat Indrapana is bowling's possible future sponsor within the IOC should his star continue to rise [Nat is a past FIQ Asian Zone President and is Thailand's IOC delegate]. At the time of the big push [pre 2000] - Nat was very much a new player within the IOC ranks - his influence at that time was not significant - it takes time to be heard...his involvement will be a critical one in time to come - if the chance is taken..but that needs a lot of #2 below...

2. Money - or a lack of it. Brunswick stopped the tab at around US$20 million - and personal fortunes have been spent by many [a few from Japan I can think of] to support the effort and continue the push. You need buckets of money, endless patience, nerves of steel - and the minute you stop your push for a heart beat even just to regroup and try and get more funds - the next cashed-up sport kicks you out of the way and takes your place trying to get the IOC's attention.

If you blink for a minute [that is to say, run out of funds to drive your push at the highest level of activity] you are dead and gone.

Through no fault of it's own - Bowling blinked.

But dosent baseball some use a wooden bat still and some use a metal bat? What about the swimmers some of the lesser nations dont have the cash to even buy what a swimsuit like the aussies and the yanks. Dosent matter what equipment is used in a world cup or anything like that. Just let it in the olympics.
Belmo you travel the world if there was a single and doubles olympic competition, apart from the aussies winning who would be the other nations that would be competitive?
Deano
Only wooden bats are allowed at the highest level of baseball. Someone would get seriously injured or killed if the pros used aluminum bats.

The water is the same for all swimmers..no lanes favour any one type of swimmer over another.

totally agree with you belmo and phluff and deano thanks for your imput to Belmo. coming from someone high up in the bowling thanks :)

I don't believe bowling belongs in the Olympics for the simple reason that the playing field is not fair to all participants. The bowler who performs best isn't always the same one who ends up in first place. This reason and this reason alone is enough to keep our sport out of the Olympics

Isnt this the case with a lot of sports. Tennis for example?

Absolutely YES

In MHO

1. Every sport has a degree of luck, whether it be mechanical or physical or rain or lane conditioning or heat or wind or smog or grip etc

2. Bowling balls are standardised, the same .. as different bikes, different aerodynamic helmets, different running shoes, different running uniforms (Cathy Freeman), different horses, different swim suits, different everything.

I say give bowling just ONE go and take it from there.

The Mens World Championships this year, this month, will be a cracker.

Bet there won't be anybody asleep in the grandstand. In MHO.

I'll keep this short and to the point. From 1992 until 2003 I spent a great deal of time working for bowling's push into the Olympics and as a result spent countless hours with people within the IOC at all levels.
With great respect to all those writing now and over the years - with a multitude of ideas as to why the sport is not yet a medal event - these are almost all just smoke and mirrors.
Two primary reasons relate...just 2.
1. Bowling has never had - and still doesn't have - someone at a very senior level within the IOC to push the sport. Phil Coles won the right for Triathalon to become a full medal sport in Sydney and Korea's Dr Kim ensured Tae Kwon Do is now a medal sport...just two examples. Nothing -well almost nothing - beats powerful internal influence to ensure a sport is promoted as a medal sport. Nat Indrapana is bowling's possible future sponsor within the IOC should his star continue to rise [Nat is a past FIQ Asian Zone President and is Thailand's IOC delegate]. At the time of the big push [pre 2000] - Nat was very much a new player within the IOC ranks - his influence at that time was not significant - it takes time to be heard...his involvement will be a critical one in time to come - if the chance is taken..but that needs a lot of #2 below...
2. Money - or a lack of it. Brunswick stopped the tab at around US$20 million - and personal fortunes have been spent by many [a few from Japan I can think of] to support the effort and continue the push. You need buckets of money, endless patience, nerves of steel - and the minute you stop your push for a heart beat even just to regroup and try and get more funds - the next cashed-up sport kicks you out of the way and takes your place trying to get the IOC's attention.
If you blink for a minute [that is to say, run out of funds to drive your push at the highest level of activity] you are dead and gone.
Through no fault of it's own - Bowling blinked.
You're not suggesting a bit of the brown paper bag stuff are you Steve?

Some forum contributors refer to "luck" in tenpin being the main or lone reason why the IOC reject tenpin. What crap. The Olympics and the IOC is a business. Whoever can be corrupted through money will vote accordingly.

As for "luck", what about those sports that are judged subjectively? Diving, gymnastics, dressage, etc. Have a look at the variability in judges scores on any event. In my opinion, Australia was robbed of a bronze medal tonight in the mens synchronised diving. Now that's a huge technical advantage to have on ones side in any sport, forget your smart swim suits or your "hook in the box" bowling balls or Smith & Weston pistols!!! Oh, and performance enhancing drugs!!! Who isn't on drugs at these games - you can buy them at the shop there.

No, bowling shouldn't be in the olympics. It's a clean sport.

The playing field isn't fair to all participants

I have a problem with this comment when I see professionals playing in what's suppose to be an amateur competition. Basketball and tennis are hardly fair to all participants.

Feral - absolutely not - not in any manner or form am I suggesting that any sport has been elevated to full medal status without just cause and without complete honesty by all involved. The simple reality is this - if someone of influence on the inside is a primary supporter and advocate of one particular sport or activity - then naturally that sport or activity will benefit by the strength of the individuals desire to see it progress to medal status. Pure and simple. Nothing more nothing less.

Deano

Wait till the end of the Mens World Championship.

We would get a clear indication from that i would think!

Belmo

I haven't read the whole thread, and I don't know if anyone has brought it up, but I remember having this arguement four years ago. I believe the main reason that bowling isn't at the Olympics is because they're 'full'. For us to be in, they would have to kick a current sport out- and how can you choose which sport to drop?. I don't know why they have a limit on how many sports but I do remember that being a big issue to why we are not in.

KRIDDLE - you are 100% correct - the IOC framed a word for it "gigantism", and it relates to a combined number of athletes and officials - this number should not total more than 10,000. However - they have made exceptions in the past to this strict guideline - so once again, it get's back to who's on the inside helping "you" [the sport]..and how much money "you" [the sport] have had/have to ensure you have been at the very front of the IOC delegations. And..NO - I don't mean this as Feral suggested in the manner of "brown paper bags"..I mean this in the sense of simply being able to afford endless exposure to the right people within the IOC.

I agree with points made by Belmo and Mr Jones, however, other things to consider:
1. The image of bowling:
People get dressed in sports clothes to play tennis, squash, cricket, bowls, volley ball etc. How many people in bowling leagues look like they are playing sport? It's great that smoking has gone from centres, but bowling "get me another beer mate" has more in common with billiards, pool and snooker than recognized "sports".

2. Respect for the elite:
Tell someone that you saw Belmo, Frawley or Walter Ray shoot 260 in a tournament and they are just as likely to turn around and say that at their centre two people bowled 300 last week. This is another topic, but put some respect back into bowling, ditch the ditch.

3. A Good Spectacle?
As a lover of bowling I will go to a centre to watch a tournament and tape and watch any bowling on TV. But really, unless you are a devotee, bowling is not the most enthralling hour to watch. Again, more akin to pool, rack them up and pot the balls again and again.

Kriddle:
The IOC has capped the summer games to 28 sports. I'm pretty sure that they have dropped Softball & Baseball from the 2012 games program, but nothing has been elevated from the "Association of Recognised IOC Sport Federations" list to replace them. Golf, Squash, Rugby, Karate and Roller Skating were nominated as possible replacements but none were selected. Equestrian events were in a bit of trouble following the Sydney games, but they modified the events schedule and adjusted the cost enough to be safe in the fold. One of their big selling points is that it's the only Olympic event where men & women compete against each other.

If you read over the IOC requirements, Bowling scores high marks in most criteria. The only ones I can see that really let Bowling down are the media and TV sales criteria, but then I wouldn't know how many countries pay to broadcast the World Championships. Bowling scores well in the "member nations" and "gender equality" markets as well as having a history of involvement in other multi-sport events such as Asian Games, Special Olympics, Maccabiah Games etc. But as Steve points out, it's all well and good ticking off the boxes, but in reality it helps more if there is someone respected high up who stands in your corner.

Back
Top Bottom