New addition to the rule book

I think it is very black and white. No grey at all.

It says..... no electronic equipment while competing..... How much simpler can it be? And I'm sure this means, no mobile phones, no Ipod type devises, no personal electronic pin trackers......... No having someone sitting on facebook ot texting for the whole squad, and having to wait for them because they always miss when it's their go.

I guess they'll have to wait until they finish bowling to let everyone know ....."bwln wid me BFGF havn coke n chps,chps cold FML."

"no electronic equipment while competing" - A wrist watch can be classed as "electronic equipment" would that mean you would only be allowed to wear analogue watches? I know, i'm probably exaggerating a little there, but there is a big difference between bowling with headphones on, compared me putting my iPhone on the table at the back of the players area, and entering my scores into PinPal after every shot. Does this rule mean that I can no longer use my iPhone with PinPal anymore?

The way this rule is worded, leaves too much open to different interpretations. It is very grey.

I also asked the question... competing in what?

To what level will this be introduced, clearly not league but how about SS or even travel leagues?

Needs further clarification in my opinion.

Could this be a very simplistic way to ensure that people pay attention to when it is their shot?? Just a thought..

I don't need an electronic device to distract me from knowing when it is my shot. I can do that all on my own! lol! :D

More details outlining this rule would be nice. I used to track my bowling last year, this year I do not. Being that I bowled a lot better last year, I am leaning towards tracking again. Does this rule prevent me from doing that?!?

I do not use headphones when bowling, tried it but did not like it. I personally have no problems with others who do however.

So if the rule stops someone from entering their scores into their iphone, does this mean i can still use a pencil and a piece of paper to write down the score for that frame and or the pins i left up and converted?

If so manually doing it on paper will take longer than the iphone apps, which can take 4 secs.

So if the rule stops someone from entering their scores into their iphone, does this mean i can still use a pencil and a piece of paper to write down the score for that frame and or the pins i left up and converted?

If so manually doing it on paper will take longer than the iphone apps, which can take 4 secs.

Maybe slightly too technologically advanced Roysa. Bring in the writing slate next time! :D lol

On a more philosophical note, if we ban earpieces, it begs the question of when do we have the intestinal fortitude to ban wrist devices, which flagrantly bring into question the athletic nature of our sport and give a lot more artificial support than any sound recording could? As Michael Frante so eloquently wrote, hypocrisy is the greatest luxury.

Nice one Jase,

At our age we need every device available, me I need my wrist device.....e.g. broke my wrist as a child...(well 17)......and can not hold anything heavy if I don't use my cobra !!
Don't really want to drop down to a 10lb just yet........:)

Cheers

Tony

Nice one Jase,

At our age we need every device available, me I need my wrist device.....e.g. broke my wrist as a child...(well 17)......and can not hold anything heavy if I don't use my cobra !!
Don't really want to drop down to a 10lb just yet........:)

Cheers

Tony

I understand, and have no issue with, people using wrist guards due to some sort of injury/surgery. IMO, I think the people who genuinely "need" wrist guards are in the minority. I used to use one many, many years ago, as I did have some troubles with my right wrist back then. But, once I had a ball drilled that actually fit my hand correctly, I no longer needed the wrist guard, nor did I have any pain in my right wrist anymore!

Most people that use wrist guards, do so because, without one they just wouldn't be able to score.

Just my 2c

My simple question was for clarification and I will address it to the relevant TBA Committee
If I am a pedant (someone who insists on strict observance of formal rules / details) so be it
I manage tournaments and have learnt that sticking hard and fast to the rules makes it fair for all

Leanne

"competing" is just that, bowling in a competition.
That's league, Sports Series, Travel comps, Accredited events, and majors.

Then it's up to the league executives / tournament director to enforce that rule if they want to.

My simple question was for clarification and I will address it to the relevant TBA Committee
If I am a pedant (someone who insists on strict observance of formal rules / details) so be it
I manage tournaments and have learnt that sticking hard and fast to the rules makes it fair for all

Leanne
I agree. Any organisation with the authority to make and enforce rules should word such rules so as to be unambiguous. Get legal advice if necessary, but DO IT RIGHT. It's not really all that much to ask ! By the way, what about my prescribed hearing aids?

Just thought id re-read the rule again.

In its simplest form it definately rules out the use of iphones for score tracking purposes in the very last part of the sentence "or used by bowlers whilst they are competing"

Good luck policing that.

I'm guessing that "competition" is defined up the front of the rule book somewhere in a definition of terms like any contract would have.

It is a guess though. Last time I really read a rulebook was on a flight to LA and it was the ABC and PBA rulebooks. Best sleep I've ever had on a plane.

I draw the comparison with this rule simply to highlight the hypocrisy of banning electronic devices for purposes of promoting image as a sport (for any athletic advantage would be scant, probably bordering on a specious claim) while many other players gain an obvious mechanical advantage beyond their current ability without fear of sanction and the can of worms it opens.

I'm definitely not against people with a medical condition who genuinely NEED a wrist device. I have friend who had a bad break in his arm and now his ulna floats free at the wrist end. Hippocratic oath applies there. First do no harm. Not much to do there but strap it up in something. But there's so may people who should have spent that money on a good coach and would have got a better result. When you see a room full of Robocop arms, it makes you wonder. (Thanks to Michael Little for that gem of a name tag!) I sell wrist devices, but spend more time taking people out of them and showing them how to hold and release a ball.

Besides, Golfers can't strap on some wrist power. It's not allowed in their rules.

I'm guessing that "competition" is defined up the front of the rule book somewhere in a definition of terms like any contract would have.

It is a guess though. Last time I really read a rulebook was on a flight to LA and it was the ABC and PBA rulebooks. Best sleep I've ever had on a plane.

I'm definitely not against people with a medical condition who genuinely NEED a wrist device. But there's so may people who should have spent that money on a good coach and would have got a better result. When you see a room full of Robocop arms, it makes you wonder. (Thanks to Michael Little for that gem of a name tag!)

Besides, Golfers can't strap on some power. It's not allowed.

Jason, I'm sort of with you. I didn't need one when I was 30. I didn't need one when I was 60. I didn't need one when i was 70.
I'm having a bit of difficulty now at nearly 78, BUT, I'll throw it away, if everyone else does - like if they were banned
. BUT if they were banned, I'd like all balls, other than those OK'd for the upcoming 'plastic ball event', also banned - then we would really start sorting out who's who.
Good god !! I didn't realise I was on that 'plane with you, also having a nice sleep, having a nice dream - But, never mind, I'm wide awake now. Forget all that stupid nonsense about going back to basics. Let's get back to the real world.

How about knee gaurds, are they OK or is that an advantage?

Bmann

Only electronic ones that you can listen to music on. Sounds like something Wallace would invent. "It's a techno-kneeguard, Gromit!" (Flicks switch - DOOF-DOOF-DOOF) And it depends how smelly they are.
So when do we have to have all computer scoring removed from the centres by?

Only if you're wearing it Rob. And then people would probably just think you were taking the whole Lady Gaga Little Monster thing too far...

But in all seriousness, where do you draw the line at what is unreasonable assistance? And let's not get started on bowling balls. (Must... control... typing hand...)

Back
Top Bottom