more thoughts on melb cup

poppy62

legend in my own lunchbox
I may be wrong in my views about the Melbourne Tenpin Cup but ill have my say anyway

I grew up watching the Melbourne Ten Pin Cup when it was held at Ringwood Lanes back in the 70's. As a junior bowler, I'd sit there in the stands watching in awe as the "Elite Bowlers " from around this country would congregate every year to packed houses and perform to the very best of their abilities, the lucky ones reaching the finals and no-one would leave until the last ball was bowled.

This tournament was always regarded as one of THE Major Tournaments in Australia - Rightfully So - Look at the Names that have won it - A veritable "who's - who" in Australia's Bowling History.

I still go and watch this tournament to see Australia's best show their skills but.... I personally reckon (And i know a few others that agree), this present format degrades the history of this tournament. To have a Three Day Tournament of this calibre where you only bowl 9 games qualifying then 3 game blocks to remove your worst block does little to the prestige of this Icon of our game.

This format may work for some people - if you have enough money to re- enter as many times as you wish and hope your lucky enough to have a good 3 game block out of all the games you have bowled but i dont think it is a TRUE indication of Australia's Best

Bring back the original format that worked for all those years when you saw the abilities of Australia's Elite rise to the occasion over Three Days instead of relying on a lucky 3 Games to get them through to matchplay

One good thing that has come out of this years tournament so far - Two of Australia's best over many years - Warren Stewart and Carl Bottomley were good enough to get through without the need to retry - Congrats to both of you.

Some of the originals of this tournament would turn in their graves if they saw what its like these days

Lets see.........16 games over 2 days, 23 games(!!!) of matchplay and top 5(i think)stepladder, ohhh i forget that'll bring more 'whiners' back in. Sorry i suggested it, it was only 10 yrs ago after all the MTC had a similar format(and you could ask some of people that bowled back then about it, including me!!!!!)

The idea behind this format isn't to "inflate" the prizefund and reward those with more money, it's to allow access to more bowlers with a reduced initial entry fee. Tournament numbers are dropping partly because there's a hesitation to enter something that's going to cost you $300

This year's Melbourne cup had a 1:2.2 payout; you finished 30th you got your original $200 back.

While I'm not generally a fan of multiple entry formats I honestly dont mind this one. The fact that it is in blocks means that just by having a good pair or a few good breaks doesn't automatically ensure you get to make matchplay.

I other aspect it brought in for me was the mental pressure. After 2 games it became a challenge of either trying to protect your score or push for more.

I also don't necessarily think it caters greatly for the rich. My opinion is it caters more for interstate bowlers as we had spent money to be away anyway so spending the extra to try and ensure you bowled matchplay seemed logical.

While I know people will think back to the glory times of huge entries (and I had the pleasure of playing in some of them) the reality is those days are gone and I for one would be astonished if you got more entries by offering a marathon format.

The majority of feedback is generally people want value for money and I think the numbers paid especially through the generous support of Schweppes made this value for money.

Just putting out a few numbers for people to ponder...
2009 Aust Cup Canberra. $310. entry for 12 games straight, cut top 16. second cut 17th-32nd.
2010 Aust Open Melb $280. entry for 16 games 2 days cut top 26. 6 games cut top 10
2010 Arafura Darwin, $300 entry 10 games, cut top 16.
2010 K&K Classic Brisbane, $175 entry 10 games, cut top 30, 6 games cut top 16.
2010 Melb Cup, $200 entry ($180 if 2009 entrant), 9 games, with re-entry option, cut top 16. With 2 re-entries it costs the same as AO for only 1 less game. And on top of that you could choose when and how fresh the condition was when you re-tried.
Every event represents something a little different, you can't complain about that. For those that only bowl the Melb Cup l understand the "wish it was how it used to be" side of things, you could have bowled the AO instead. Personally l like the variety, but l bowl every event.

Hey Poppy, luck didn't last for 3 games, 2 at best.

Back
Top Bottom