Why aren't there more Australians on the PBA Tour

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Don't any of your guys (you know who you are, our elite male bowlers!) have even the slightest interest in seeing if you've got what it takes to compete with the best bowlers in the world. After the fantastic success Belmo's had the past few years, don't you have any ambition? Or is being a big fish in a little pond enough to soothe your ego?

Living the dream might not be the same today as it was when I was in my bowling prime, but you know what..if you don't give it a try, you'll never know whether or not you were good enough. So please enlighten us all as to why you spends thousands of dollars on equipment and tournament entries, knowing that there is little chance for a decent return on investment in this country. You've obviously spent the time it takes to develop your skills..but what's your next step? We no longer have a viable scratch tournament schedule in Australia and there aren't any good paying handicap events wherein you can bank the big bucks so why continue pouring hard earned dollars into an empty promise. Love of the sport? Competition? Fun?

I've seen too many of the "elite bowlers" in Australia just give it up over the past decade, while guys I grew up with in the States have continued to bowl competitively. Any idea why this is?

Wayne, as usual, you have managed to turn a very valid topic of discussion into an attack on people. But please allow me to answer the question you posed.

You may or may not know this, But myself, my brother Chris, Stephen Carter from WA, and Ashley Warren from SA, are all going to Las Vegas to compete in the PBA's world series of bowling in October. I personally have been looking at this for a few years, but holiday restrictions and purely costs have left me in Australia. I now have the money and time off work (being the most important factor) to be able to see how i stack up. I have competed on tour before (all be it one event), and missed the cut by only 25 pins, that was 4 years ago. So i knew i had some more work to do on my game to elevate myself to the next level. You should know this doesn't happen overnight, or even in 12 months.

I would like to compete more on Tour as well, however, you cannot justify spending on average (from perth anyway), $2000+ on flights, roughly $350-$500 for a weeks accommodation, anywhere from $400-$800 on entry fees, to go to america 3 or 4 times a year, not to mention theres the time off work, which then eliminates any potential HOLIDAYS!!!! I chose the World Series because i get to compete in 5 events over a 10 day period, and its cost me i think in the vicinity of $3000, and ive managed to sneak in a few days either side of the event to do some sightseeing and have a round of golf.

Australians have a better chance of competing in Asia, which is where a few of us do actually compete where possible.

As for why people drop out of the sport, bowling in australia isn't free, hell, its not even remotely cheap. To go down to your local centre and bowl 4 games, it costs $18. I went to the High Roller in 2009 prior to the USBC Masters and bowled 4 games for $1!!!!!!

The cost adds up and plain and simple, people cannot afford it. Unless you have a mysterious money tree your'e not mentioning?

Its not that Aussies don't want to compete in the states, its just getting harder and harder for people to justify spending the money to do it........

Rant Over!

Hey Sam,

That would be great to see, imagine a Cooley v Belmonte final in a few years time for the U.S Master. It may just make the TV!

Don't any of your guys (you know who you are, our elite male bowlers!) have even the slightest interest in seeing if you've got what it takes to compete with the best bowlers in the world. After the fantastic success Belmo's had the past few years, don't you have any ambition? Or is being a big fish in a little pond enough to soothe your ego?

I've seen too many of the "elite bowlers" in Australia just give it up over the past decade, while guys I grew up with in the States have continued to bowl competitively. Any idea why this is?

If you or anyone else want to help me cover my mortgage and feed my family, plus give me a job where I have more than 4 weeks of annual leave, so you know, I can spend time with the family as well as chase my dreams, just let me know, actually let all us 'elite' bowlers know, we will take you up on it. Nothing to do with lack of ambition, but practicality and not having an endless stream of money for that initial start up and future security, were I and our other 'elite' bowlers to be well, single, not have mortgages, families and so forth, then it probably wouldn't be the worst to turf a job in and go for it. As mentioned there are a few guys that are soon to have a go, and that is great for Australian bowling, but none of them have many of the above concerns, outside of work options.

And I would also suggest bowling in this country is more expensive than the states, a lot of people get maybe $4-6 as best practice rate games, still $1-3 in the States, not to mention cheaper equipment, cheaper everything all round.

Stop shit stirring and next time you want to post, do so constructively and offer a solution to any perceived problem/question/criticism you have.

Not stirring anything Michael. I really wanted to know why our elite bowlers haven't backed themselves and givene the pro tour a try...money and family are problems in the USA as well. But many, if not most of the touring players have wives and children at home. ..Tell me exactly why more of our bowlers haven't taken the leap. After all, just like the lottery, you have to be in it to win it. If you take a shot and succeed, GREAT!..if you take a shot and FAIL...at least you've given it a shot and there's still time to get that career job and live the white picket fence lifestyle.
To those bowlers who ARE travelling to America for the WSOB.. best of luck to you. I hope you do well!

Sounds like a massive back pedal to be honest.

Maybe its easier to go on the tour if you actually live in the USA.

Earnings
Last updated on 4/20/2012 at 4:59 PM
Name
Events​
Earnings​
Sean Rash 13 $140,250.00
Jason Belmonte 13 $137,375.00
Mike Fagan 13 $116,950.00
Pete Weber 14 $97,820.00
Osku Palermaa 11 $79,110.00
Norm Duke 13 $68,500.00
Ryan Ciminelli 14 $64,545.00
Chris Barnes 14 $60,280.00
Ryan Shafer 14 $54,935.00
Andres Gomez 14 $40,310.00
Bill O'Neill 13 $39,510.00
Wes Malott 13 $39,380.00
Stuart Williams 12 $36,305.00
Dan MacLelland 14 $34,590.00
Dom Barrett 12 $34,255.00
Rhino Page 14 $33,365.00
Mike DeVaney 10 $32,565.00
Mika Koivuniemi 14 $31,665.00
Eugene McCune 14 $27,010.00
Nathan Bohr 14 $26,645.00
Ronnie Russell 14 $26,140.00
Chris Loschetter 14 $25,190.00
Martin Larsen 13 $24,040.00
Josh Blanchard 13 $23,330.00
Bryon Smith 9 $23,200.00
Dave Wodka 13 $21,585.00
Parker Bohn III 13 $21,495.00
Tom Smallwood 14 $20,465.00
Brian Kretzer 14 $20,445.00
Ildemaro Ruiz 12 $20,300.00
Chris Warren 12 $19,385.00
Mike Scroggins 13 $19,265.00
Tommy Jones 12 $17,390.00
Scott Newell 13 $17,285.00
Mitch Beasley 12 $17,262.50
Jack Jurek 14 $17,155.00
Dino Castillo 14 $17,070.00
Jason Couch 14 $16,945.00
Michael Haugen Jr 14 $15,400.00
Patrick Allen 13 $15,065.00
Amleto Monacelli 12 $14,825.00
Dick Allen 13 $13,895.00
Brian Valenta 14 $13,470.00
Tom Hess 13 $13,205.00
Walter Ray Williams Jr 14 $12,650.00
Brad Angelo 14 $12,390.00
Tyler Jensen 8 $11,140.00
Kelly Kulick 13 $10,855.00
Danny Wiseman 12 $9,840.00
Lonnie Waliczek 11
$9,510.00

Looks like hard work, this professional bowling gig.
Do they have to pay for their own travel arrangements, accom and entry fees?

If you or anyone else want to help me cover my mortgage and feed my family, plus give me a job where I have more than 4 weeks of annual leave, so you know, I can spend time with the family as well as chase my dreams, just let me know, actually let all us 'elite' bowlers know, we will take you up on it. Nothing to do with lack of ambition, but practicality and not having an endless stream of money for that initial start up and future security, were I and our other 'elite' bowlers to be well, single, not have mortgages, families and so forth, then it probably wouldn't be the worst to turf a job in and go for it. As mentioned there are a few guys that are soon to have a go, and that is great for Australian bowling, but none of them have many of the above concerns, outside of work options.

And I would also suggest bowling in this country is more expensive than the states, a lot of people get maybe $4-6 as best practice rate games, still $1-3 in the States, not to mention cheaper equipment, cheaper everything all round.

Stop shit stirring and next time you want to post, do so constructively and offer a solution to any perceived problem/question/criticism you have.

Think Michael has hit the nail on the head with this one
Simply a case of money, sure, everyone at the top of their game over the past decade or so had the thought of travelling overseas to see if they can cut it with bigger opposition, either in Asia or the best in the PBA but realistically we all have had to look at cost, even to go over to Asia to try a few tournaments you would need to be prepared to lose $3-5K, obviously a lot more if you tackle the PBA
If you have a family, mortage etc.......simply not viable, throw on top of that the costing you would need to allow for equipment as the guy's you are going to compete against normally have bowling balls at their beck and call for no cost

If you take a shot and succeed, GREAT!..if you take a shot and FAIL...at least you've given it a shot and there's still time to get that career job and live the white picket fence lifestyle.

Not that simple Wayne

Good luck the guy's going over to give it a crack, would be a great experience

Cheers
Colin Hunt

Think Michael has hit the nail on the head with this one
Simply a case of money, sure, everyone at the top of their game over the past decade or so had the thought of travelling overseas to see if they can cut it with bigger opposition, either in Asia or the best in the PBA but realistically we all have had to look at cost, even to go over to Asia to try a few tournaments you would need to be prepared to lose $3-5K, obviously a lot more if you tackle the PBA
If you have a family, mortage etc.......simply not viable, throw on top of that the costing you would need to allow for equipment as the guy's you are going to compete against normally have bowling balls at their beck and call for no cost

If you take a shot and succeed, GREAT!..if you take a shot and FAIL...at least you've given it a shot and there's still time to get that career job and live the white picket fence lifestyle.

Not that simple Wayne

Good luck the guy's going over to give it a crack, would be a great experience

Cheers
Colin Hunt

Ah..but it IS THAT SIMPLE. Nobody said it would be easy. Sacrifices have to be made for anyone who desires to become a professional athlete or an Olympian. In fact, it's easier these day than it was a few years ago. These days your expenses are minimized because you stay in one city for a couple of weeks, bowl 3-5 events all in the same city and then you can return home to your loved ones and maybe even go back to work while your not competing. Do it all again two later in the year and that's about it. No tedious travelling between cities and no being away from home for extended periods of time. The Tour never really paid that much and it really wasn't all about the money. It was about being one of the best bowlers in the world..and it still is!

I used to bowl when the tour had winter, summer and fall swings. 30+ tournaments a year and each was in a different city. That meant 30+ weeks of traveling to a new city and staying in a different hotel, eating in restaurants and doing laundry on your off day. But you know what..I wouldn't have had it any other way. I saw most of the United States. I met some great people along the way, made some lifelong friends both on and off the lanes, and had the most wonderful life experience any person could ever ask for.

Im amazed at how little prize money there is to offer on the PBA as from the earnings from 2012. Elite bowlers should be earning at least ten times this.
Hats off to those who try cause you've got balls and those who don't , who can blame them cause your balls are still the same size no matter what way they roll.

Thanks for your positive comments..

How would you recognize a positive comment? ;)

I didn't have a psoitive comment Wayne. All I was suggesting was that Michael had absolutely nailed the response. I totally agree with him and felt your initial post was nothing but an attempt to get people to bite. I felt it was disrespectful to those that are currently making plans to do exactly what you suggest no one is doing.

Michaels last paragraph ends the topic in my opinion.

Micheal Little was the first person I thought of when Wayne put up his Argument. Here was a guy that is sponsored by a Ball Company,this is the only way we in Australia can Compete in America. You must have a Sponsor.

I remember Billy Gardiner got a whole lot of Money together to try it in America but from my memory he never got past Hawaii, I don't know what happened from there, maybe others on this site know the full story.

So without a sponsor or a Lottery Win you have no chance of Competing.

willey

Back
Top Bottom