Australian PBA

W

weazal79

I would like to put an idea forward here. That is, to introduce a professional bowlers association in Australia. At this time it's just an idea, but expressions of interest on this topic, would take the idea into a design stage. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Weazal!

I think you will find this topic has been brought up already this year - by petebowl (Peter Brierly).

The full details can be found in the old forum - but the details of a proposed Pro Bowlers Association were to be nutted out by interested bowlers before/during/after a free lineage tournament (hosted by Peter B & Lismore Bowl). From memory there were 5 different tournaments drawn up for the weekend, with bowlers having choices of entering as many out of the 5 they wanted.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, whichever way you want to look at it) the tournament was not well supported and did not go ahead - therefore the discussion regarding the forming of the Australian Pro Bowlers Association (or the APBA as the working name was) did not get off the ground.

Can someone (possibly petebowl or George) refresh my memory on what the proposed APBA was wanting to achieve ??

Sorry Graham, I didn't know that this had already been brought up. Anyway, I asked the question as there is a 1 inch thick booklet I know of describing how it could be done. I have read it and it is very possible assuming that it gets support.

Weazal!

just on a curious note, i read on the brisbane cup entry form, that the tournament was not open to any member of any professional bowling organisation.

amf's nose must have been put out of joint by the attempted venture, unless they just don't want carol, cara and maxine bowling

DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!

Yes, Craig, very strange!! So strange in fact, that I think it may even be a stuff-up
icon_eek.gif

However, one thing that is for sure is the it has nothing to do with Petebowl's suggestion for an Aussie PBA. Exactly the same wording appeared on the June 2000 (and 2001) AMF Western Open Entry Form, issued more than 6 months before Pete's initiative in January 2001. Because of the changed format for this year's Brisbane Cup, AMF could not simply copy the 2000 Brisbane Cup Entry Form (which contained no such restriction on pro bowlers). Instead, they copied a lot of the wording from the Western Open Entry Form including what I suspect is some outdated wording that should have been dropped a year or two ago
icon_rolleyes.gif

As you say, would AMF really want to knock-back Cara, Carol or Maxine in the unlikely event they wanted to bowl in the Brisbane Cup or Western Open.

To my recollection that is a first for AMF. I wonder if it is a sign of things to come. That would mean if I cash next weekend that would exclude me from these tournaments. I can't understand why they would do that? These has been no mention of the Professional status on any of the Super 6 entry forms. Hedley, could inquire more about this for me please. Is this a one off thing or a sign of things to come?

Hi George,

Yes, I will do some checking to clarify the issue but, as mentioned in my post above, I don't think there is a real issue here. No one thought too carefully about the wording on THIS year's (2001) Western Open Entry Form, they just copied the wording from LAST year's (2000) Western Open Entry Form, which, in turn, was copied from the PREVIOUS year's (1999) Western Open Entry Form, and so on down the Ages ..........!!!

In my view, this year's Brisbane Cup Entry Form is just the latest manifestation of the out-dated wording "popping-up" again. The same words appeared on the 2000 Maryborough Wide Bay Entry Form, would you believe?!!!
icon_rolleyes.gif
. They were not on this year's Maryborough form because Charlie Patterson acquired the Centre during the intervening period.

The restriction certainly does not apply to any of the Tournaments on TBAL's Official National Open Rankings Program. Typically the wording on the Entry Forms for these events requires that bowlers be "...current TBA members" (e.g. 2001 S.A. Cup, Koolfoam, Canberra Open, NSW Open, etc.), or "...current TBAL members or members of F.I.Q. affilliated federations" (2001 Australian Open), or "...2001 TBA Sanctioned members", (Rosemount Cup), etc., etc. So, don't worry
icon_sad.gif
, win as much dough as you can off those Yanks and, when you get back home, you will still be "virgo-intacta",
icon_biggrin.gif
at least as far as bowling in the Aussie events that matter is concerned.

Incidently, if there is an issue, it's not about cashing (how much money have Tim and Cara won?), it's about being a member of a "professional" organisation. I suspect there coul be legal issues here; restraint of trade, restriction of free-association, etc, as well as a lack of commercial logic in the context of today's bowling environment.

well done hedley

i'm glad somebody else can pull a spoon out of their back pocket.

keep up the good work

Thanks Hedley, you really have all the answers don't you. I"ll try and take as much as I can from the US, look forward to returning and hitting the National scene. Just don't know when thats all......

Back
Top Bottom