Australian PBA players

S

steve_jones

Recently I read a question on this site about Australians that had played on the [national] PBA tour...John Fitch of course was the first. Graham Smith was next - others followed. Some have claimed to have played on the national tour - a few have done so - others have in fact played in regional or fringe events somewhat associated with/to the PBA [the Hawiian Invitational was one such event] - although this fact takes nothing at all away from the reality that they competed amongst the worlds best [or a select group of the worlds best at that time]. Geoff Ott I believe won the [no idea of the date] Canadian Open and beat off a sizable list of PBA players doing so - no easy task.

However - I understand we have on this site some/at least one recent player of/on the tour who contribute as a writer - Wayne Chester is one such example - perhaps Wayne could advise the names of all those Australians who contested the tour [national and regional] over recent [and not so recent] years and give relevant stats as to their performances - his own included?

I'm sure I would not be alone in seeking clarification of such information which surely must be readily available to any current or ex PBA member. It would certainly help set the record straight and no doubt help settle some arguments amongst interested observers [one of these is me].

Jones

Steve...Here is a link to the PBA.com page where you'll see the highlight of my career.

http://www.pba.com/archives_detailed.asp?ID=1083

I joined the PBA in 1975. The only two times that I bowled the tour full-time were 1978/79 and again in 1991. My retirement from PBA competition came after the 1993 season.
My regional record shows 5 second place finishes and NO titles.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda LOL

The only other touring Aussie PBA members that I am aware of were John Fitch in the 1960's ...Graham Smith in the 80's and Leo DiBennedetto in the recent past.

As far as I know Fitchy never cashed, Smith cashed once and Leo has made at least one cut. There used to be a search engine on the PBA site which allowed you to search for individual bowlers cashes but it went bye bye when the site was redesigned.

I know from reading Pin Action that Tony Rodrick cashed once in his late 80's stint(i think 87) With the international player cash list at the old World Open a few Aussie players can claim a PBA cash but it's not quite the same as having to make the top 50 or so like the rest of the events were.

Thx for the updates - the information Wayne is as I have it also - I thought a PBA player [past or present] could access the old data base that's why I asked in my initial email that you get involved. Given your past I thought just maybe you could obtain the historic information. I won my bet based on your input however [my "opponent" is prepared to concede] - so thx [it wasn't much of a win by the way - just lunch - but the real deal was the not so little matter of pride].

As for your own efforts - it's a bit like football in my view - anyone who has the ability to run around on a senior list of any professional club [any code] can play, and should be given credit accordingly - anyone who can make the tour and feed a family doing so for any period of time needs to be given a lot of credit. Well done.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom