Mongoose (or something similar)

baggers89

I seek the collective wisdom of the members of TotalBowling for their opinions of the Mongoose.

I heard it could help me with getting lift/hook/[insert whatever synonym for the previous words here]. What does everyone think of it, or are there better products out there?

The guys that truly lift the ball like Mick Little, Jason Walsh, Brando Qual???ski, Sam Cooley, don't use any sort of wrist brace. If you want a quick fix to getting some rotation on the ball then try a few and see what feels good to you. The Mongoose is used by some of the top men (Paul Trotter) and women. (Lexi Nichol?)

A lot of people dont use wrist guards anymore these days. I know a lot of people have taken them off because they were doing more damage to their game then good.

I bowl with 400 revs (well last time I was on C.A.T.S) and never worn a wrist guard, personal opinion aside (I don't agree with them) I believe a wrist guard is just that, a guard to help people who may have a weak wrist, it's not to increase rev rates.

Want lift? Get a coach
Want hook? See above about lift...then do some research into balls

I seek the collective wisdom of the members of TotalBowling for their opinions of the Mongoose.

I heard it could help me with getting lift/hook/[insert whatever synonym for the previous words here]. What does everyone think of it, or are there better products out there?

Baggers,

Are you left or right handed?

I use a wrist device for support, not a mongoose but an older scorpion non-adjustable type ebonite zl-2 and then modified it to give me relief when bowling. The reason for wearing one is simply to stop wrist pain.

What to consider, is what you really want to achieve. If used as a learning tool, then the fully adjustable ones are great. If for support only, then the mongoose or masters type are great.

If the wrist device goes part way down your finger, you will get a little more lift as your fingers will remain a little further under the ball.

But, work out what you want to achieve then choose a device from there.

The Mongoose is a pretty good training aide...but ONLY if you remove the metal plate from the palm side of it.

Hello Baggers89……Here is some New Year’s joy to stir the little grey cells or get the brain off the backburner so to speak.
Shakespeare wrote “To be, or not to be, that is the question:”
Baggers89 about the “Mongoose” asks “To wear, or not to wear, that is my question:”
Fatblack offers this food for thought “To use, or not to use, that is your decision:” que sera sera.
A wrist device, more commonly known as a wrist guard, is nothing but a wrist support devised and created with the sole purpose of supporting the wrist, “in the position” required by the user. Some more expensive and elaborate devices offer greater variable user positions and still the bottom line is they only support the wrist in the position required by the user. This could now beg the question, “Does the use of a wrist support aid in enhancing a high scoring performance?” Wearing a wrist support has the advantage of cutting down the error rate during the release of the ball. By not wearing a wrist support the error rate during the release of the ball increases substantially, due mainly to the flexibility of the wrist coming into play.
But wait, there is more……
In this modern era, where technological advances have altered the ways of old and proclaimed the approach of a new line of flummery, questions must be asked and answers must be given. In this instance some of the questions could very well be,
“Will I bowl better using a wrist device?”
“Can I gain an advantage or get a competitive edge by using a wrist device?”
“What type of wrist device should I use?”
Other things to take into consideration are.
How easily and quickly can the device be put on or taken off the wrist.
When to use a wrist support and when not to use a wrist support. An appropriate course of action should be a discussion with an experienced high performance coach on the advantages on using a wrist support to duplicate good release technique. But wait, there is more……
So now at long last we get back to your original question, (“I heard it could me……what do you think of it?”) A wrist support plays a huge role in becoming a higher than average player as well as a high performance player. A number of players have used wrist devices when representing Australia on the international stage and won gold, silver and bronze medals. You as a player, must without fail, discuss this aspect with an experienced high performance coach. Simply put, the answer to your question is, “yes”, but be very astute in your choice, as the best is not necessarily the best for you to use. A “mongoose” is a very wise choice as it goes on and comes off very quickly. It is the most practical and the least complicated. It occupies very little space in your accessory compartment, it is extremely user friendly and it also comes in your favorite color……
But wait, there is more……Be sure to watch the next scintillating and compendious chapter into the tales of, “The Miscomprehended Mongoose”.
Fatblack and the” Mongoose”.

Mongoose is good device i used one for better part of 20 years. Just recently removed mine and find i am getting more work on the ball now. I suppose it is just horses for courses .Good luck.

The Mongoose is a pretty good training aide...but ONLY if you remove the metal plate from the palm side of it.

To my knowledge “the mongoose” is not and never was made with a metal plate on the palm side (of it?). Maybe you had another brand of training aid in mind or you had something else in your hand at the time that should have been removed.

To my knowledge “the mongoose” is not and never was made with a metal plate on the palm side (of it?). Maybe you had another brand of training aid in mind or you had something else in your hand at the time that should have been removed.

I was mistaken..what I should have said was that the support would be more helpful without using the constricting strap around the fingers.
As for your not so nice comment...................and chin's......................love ya both :)

An appropriate course of action should be a discussion with an experienced high performance coach on the advantages on using a wrist support to duplicate good release technique.

Wrist supports prevent good release technique. If you are happy with an 'adequate' release, go for it.

[quote) A wrist support plays a huge role in becoming a higher than average player as well as a high performance player.[/quote]

Seriously?? I think there are many top end players past and present that would not agree.

Back
Top Bottom