Mens FIQ Team

You know I Belmo I can't argue with you because of who you are.

Tony

Com on Tony, Dont use that lame excuse :) Swing my friend, im a big boy and can handle the 'stick and stones' :)

Mate, they players you have mentioned are of course great bowlers, I bet though if you ask them how many events they lost, missed a cut because they were tired?

Im kind of fit, and at the end of an event I am stuffed (long formats) so i can only imagine someone who is much heavier than me.

Tony, your a smart guy, surly you can see the benefits of exercise in all sports.
I mean in all sports (similar to bowling)"a fit an agile body, gives you a fit and agile mind" (thanks to the 12th man for that quote)

To be good at bowling your right....its not just someone who is in shape.

But take this scenario....

Same bowler, same skill, same everything except his size.
1 is double the size??
If he is the same bowler and does everything the same, except one can last much longer than the other and perform at his best of longer....who is the better bowler??

If you are a heavy bowler, this does not mean your not a good bowler....what Im saying is that if you work hard at exercising you will become a better bowler. Your skill wont change, you will just be able to bowl at your peak in an event for longer....

Your thoughts??

Belmo

what Im saying is that if you work hard at exercising you will become a better bowler. Your skill wont change, you will just be able to bowl at your peak in an event for longer....

I have known of bowlers who swing around there body and then lose weight and all of a sudden theres no body to come around and then struggle.

No look like I said before every man to their own and I'm certainly not against being fit, I would never know what that is like mind you.

I'm no bowler, and I've been in plenty of marathons and didn't have too many problems, in actual fact I could have kept going, and again people I'm not talking here about bowling skills, I may not have won but some of them I did. It still come back to the individual and how they deal and feel with it. It's like we have people here that practice and practice and practice and then come out and shoot there 150's.

I maintain bowling is 65 % in your head,ability and a little luck on the day and 35% fitness. It's how you feel , not what everyone else thinks you should look like.

I'm really feel too old too be even in this discussion and with your calibre of guys on here these days.

Tell what other sport to you compare bowling is physically?

They say golf is but I'm not sure if there referring to the physical side.

cheers

Tony

Well i will jump onto this bandwagon.

This sport i believe doesnt require a very high level of fitness at all. In a nutshell, almost 18 months ago i was diagnosed with a serious and life threatening illness, of which i am still recoveing from. My fitness is far from 100%, more like 60%. In this time, my average has increased by around 15 pins.

The physical fitness aspect is really trivial, unless you had to bowl 20+ games in a day, which doesnt happen. The REAL fitness required for this sport, and i can speak on this 1, is MENTAL. It is all a state of mind my friends. If you are focused and confident in your abilities, you will perform to the best of those abilities. If you are just 1 of those and not both, then not so good. If you have neither of these attributes, then you will struggle at this level.

It is really that simple. With a combination of various positive states of mind, then you will perform!

Yet at the end of the day, i will say this. You can have supreme fitness, brilliant coaching and all the resources under the sun, but if dont have the ticker, focus and confidence in you game, it wont happen for you. Remember that much.

As Big Brother would say, "That is all".

I have known of bowlers who swing around there body and then lose weight and all of a sudden theres no body to come around and then struggle.

No look like I said before every man to their own and I'm certainly not against being fit, I would never know what that is like mind you.

I'm no bowler, and I've been in plenty of marathons and didn't have too many problems, in actual fact I could have kept going, and again people I'm not talking here about bowling skills, I may not have won but some of them I did. It still come back to the individual and how they deal and feel with it. It's like we have people here that practice and practice and practice and then come out and shoot there 150's.

I maintain bowling is 65 % in your head,ability and a little luck on the day and 35% fitness. It's how you feel , not what everyone else thinks you should look like.

I'm really feel too old too be even in this discussion and with your calibre of guys on here these days.

Tell what other sport to you compare bowling is physically?

They say golf is but I'm not sure if there referring to the physical side.

cheers

Tony

Tony,

You do make some valid points. I have heard of stories about guys whose swing is around their body, lose weight and then find it hard to bowl.....

I also do agree that its about how you feel...

But if we do the math, and work out as a majority, I think the numbers would be much more clear, rather than on a specific basis.
Ken McLauchlan says there is some research done already over many bowlers and his results are slowly proving that the better skilled, more in shape players are doing better....
Again please remember, I am talking about the HIGHEST LEVEL of play.

You ask what sport compares...hard question but i guess Golf is (same kind of mental toughness, muscle repetition and a short burst of energy.....us at the foul line, them in their swing). Tiger seems to think getting in shape will help his career :)

BUT.....Each to their own....like you say.

Ill keep trying to get in better shape and see how my results follow. Perhaps ill be back to eating burgers and fries again if the results are not looking good :)

Belmo

I think tiger could win if he was 20 kgs over weight.

I would think it was hard to compare the results unless you are testing the same person at say 70 kgs & again at 90 kgs. Testing different people, different sizes with different abilitys then comparing the stats. Easy to make figures look good sometimes.

P.S. Notice how all the fat people are having a go at ya Belmo.

Ok - Fitness no Fitness - The only talking should be on the lanes - you know - where we play the game. If your scores are good enough to be there it should not matter how big someone is or is not, or how fit or unfit someone is. In fact since our game does not require a big fitness level to compete - I would this is discrimination.

I know - don't like the way someone looks - a bit on the heavy side - lets make it hard for them to be involved - let's make a fitness test so we can weed the heavy ones out. Next we will want to make sure they can bench press at least 80 kgs - we don't want them to be weak.

Come on people, we throw balls down a lane. If you can do it and win, good luck to you. It should not matter how fit we are or if we can do a stupid beep test.

Ok... time for a 'big fella' to jump in here and defend the fitness side of our sport.

I'm 5'11 and weigh in at around 115kg, I'm no where near fit enough to compete at the highest level. I bust my backside on the lane and am currently in the process of busting it off the lane and i probably could keep up with Belmo on a good day, but stretch it out over a few days and i would struggle towards the end, fitness isn't just about the physical aspect of the game on day 1 it's also about the bodies recuperative powers for the following days. The fitter you are the faster your body recovers the more effective you are on day 2, day 3 and so on.

Anyway just my 2 cents

Congrats to all who will be donning the green and gold, we all know you will do us proud

Have been following this thread with interest since it started knowing it would cause some good discussion.
A lot of people have some good points & statements but some are also a bit off beam.
I have to agree with what Belmo has stated regarding fitness in the long term but the BEEP TEST is purely an aerobic capability & in my opinion is a waste of time for bowling, I have taken the BEEP TEST on numerous occasions over my time in sport & struggled to meet the level put down (but got there in the end), this includes other sports besides bowling.
Yes, fitness can, over long tournaments & formats can be put to your advantage on the mental side of the game as well as the body recovering quicker but I still for the life of me cannot see where the BEEP TEST relates in the sport of bowling.
In my opinion (and mine only) at the end of the day Australia's most in form bowler (not including Belmo) has been robbed of a chance to represent his country....which is a DAMN DAMN shame......because of a criteria (part of) which is not relevant
Matt deserves to be there!!!!!!!!!!hopefully you can keep your chin up and keep bowling at you best & make the next team available

Cheers
Colin

I am been sitting back and reading this for the last few days but just want to clear some things up and give my opinion.

Firstly, for the beep test on the day, ken made sure everyone was warmed up and clearly outlined this was important to ensure no injuries....he also ensured everyone knew how to perform sufficient streching before and after the test. He was very professional and should be commended on his service, not only at the camp but also for the professional opinion he has provided on this forum.

As for the beep test, should it be done or not??? My answer is i think fitness is important at the HIGHEST level of bowling. In all sports everyone is looking for a minor advantage at the highest level, and this includes fitness. I know bowling doesnt require extreme fitness but level 8 in a beep test is not extreme. I do however believe the beep test should be used during development camps with training squads, so improvement in fitness can be tracked. Hopefully this will be implemented in the future so when selection comes around the fitness of the bowlers is already known. I dont think the beep test should have been performed as part of selection last weekend but think it does have a place in national camps.....At the end of the day the points allocated to the beep test did not change the make up of the team

The comment about tiger woods winning if he was heavier??? Tiger changed the game of golf due to his work on his physical strength and fitness...I have no doubt he still would have been a champion without this...but there is no question his work to his body gave him even more of an advantage and made him supreme. He made golfers start considering going to the gym etc....

Fitness does come into play in bowling obviously not as much as football etc but it has its parts...if it didnt why would teams like Malaysia include fitness training and gym work out as part of their training of squads.............

As Nighteyes outlines it is about recovery, i can tell u six games doesnt sounds alot but during events like the Worlds u are mentally and physically exhausted by the end of it and if you make masters you have even more to go. If you are able to recover quickly, remain fresh you have a clear advantages of others that do not

You know it is threads like this that will ensure that bowling never makes it into the Olympics. You have the athletes saying yes I do need to be fit to compete at the highest level of my choosen sport, but then you have bowlers saying I can compete without being fit. I wonder whether we should listen to the athletes or the bowlers.....

Well, I might as well jump in on this.
I was listening to the "Lets's go bowling!" radio show podcast a few weeks back and they interviewed Mo Pinel of Morich and it was interesting to hear what Mo has to say. He did say that bowling is a rhythm & balance sport, not a strength, speed or reaction time sport. He does say good things about Belmo as well :D
You can download or listen from the link below:
http://www.soundupload.com/audio/6h1gspi2lk5xf4y7

Scientific fact or peoples opinion???

Why can't being fitter then you are improve you balance and rhythm??
Crazy, but those fit people tend to have pretty good core stability... which leads to better balance.

Those scientists are crazy but... I wouldn't listen to them. Not with all the research that they have done. Phhh, that stuff doesn't prove anything!!!!

Later Da Cowman!

Or all those elite World Champion darts players (athletes?)......they don't need to concentrate or have balance (except to reach for their smoke and beer on the side table):rolleyes:

LOL! Same goes for those people who play lawn bowls or bocce

Also, what about Pete Weber? He drinks, smokes, eats fast food and likes to sit & watch WWE and he's one of the greatest bowlers of all time! :p

LOL! Same goes for those people who play lawn bowls or bocce
Also, what about Pete Weber? He drinks, smokes, eats fast food and likes to sit & watch WWE and he's one of the greatest bowlers of all time! :p

Hey i used to smoke, love a drink, and eats fast food and i watch WWE. Unfortunately that is where the similarity finishes lol

Back
Top Bottom