Mens FIQ Team

Lucky for Frank they didnt have it in the 80's & 90's.

Suppose some of us are lucky they dont have it as a requiement for Rockway.

"YET"

The beep test......

Whilst I am not a fan of the criteria (because of its numerous flaws), the beep test (or any other kind of fitness testing) is one thing I think is important.

5% of the total points you can earn come from this test, to which everyone was not competing against everyone else, but simply a goal (in this case level 8). It had nothing to do with who is the fittest, it was all about if you could reach level 8.
I did the beep test (a few times for footy, youth camps) and level 8 is by far not hard.
What I dont like about this beep test was the fact that it was done prior to bowling and we all know that no one goes for a run right before they bowl.

Its a strong team, no doubt, could it of been stronger?? I think yes. A few guys didnt nominate who should of (but i understand why) and the preparation for this camp was very limited.
Before you start hurling stones at me, Im not saying that the team is not good, its probably as good as it could be, but with a proper system and some more time the team WOULD of been stronger, it may of been the same team, only more prepared.

I heard Matt hurt his hamstring whilst doing the beep test, but Ken stated he told him that his leg did not affect his bowling. His non inclusion on the team has nothing to do with the beep test, the reason behind it comes from 3 minds.
Barry Walsh, Vaughn White and Chris Batson. The 3 selectors.
And his performance on the day.

I am hoping that he will be told why he is not in the team and from there he can learn and practice what he has to do.
That info should go to everyone who did not make the team either (an idea from Jarrod Lean). Jarrod is correct.

People who rolled off (in this case) need to be told WHY they are not in the team, what they need to work on and how to do it.
So many times people dont make a team and are not sure why. BUT i can assure you, the beep test was not the reason.

(Can i just say, thanks to Ken McLachlan for his time and expertise for doing the beep test and his comments posted in this thread. Like TONX has said, people have no business arguing with you, you were a out side source who did what he was asked to do.....END OF STORY)

Mac, Glen, Walshy, Jez, Frawls and myself have been there before and will do everything we can to bowl our best.
When the Aussie shirt goes on, we work as one and we win or lose as one.

Jason Belmonte

Ps- Looking forward to see a Aussie face. Been a while!!!

Lucky for Frank they didnt have it in the 80's & 90's.
Suppose some of us are lucky they dont have it as a requiement for Rockway.
"YET"
We do, our Rachuig Trials eligibility requires bowlers to be in the "Training Squad", and meet the fitness criteria - although we only pushed the men to 6 I think.

We did actually make a few of our past reps ineligible this year because they didn't pass fitness.

Watch out Mr Chinner, SA might follow the ACT's fine example :p

Everyone here (except Belmo) is missing the point. I have no problem with the selection criteria including a beep test or whatever. The point I was making was that of all of the tests conducted during the selection camp, the beep test was the one most likely to cause an injury. So why invite criticism by having it first? Especially first thing in the morning on an unsuitable surface.
There was absolutely no reason why the bowlers could not have completed all of the testing on the skills that are actually relevant to the sport and then done the beep test. This would have removed the possibility of injury during what all involved have admitted was a very minor part of the trial.

We do, our Rachuig Trials eligibility requires bowlers to be in the "Training Squad", and meet the fitness criteria - although we only pushed the men to 6 I think.
We did actually make a few of our past reps ineligible this year because they didn't pass fitness.
Watch out Mr Chinner, SA might follow the ACT's fine example :p

Maybe they should. With only 10 rolling off in the Mens & 7 for the Womens this year. We wouldnt have needed a rolloff at all if 3 guys were made ineligible. ;)

Maybe they should. With only 10 rolling off in the Mens & 7 for the Womens this year. We wouldnt have needed a rolloff at all if 3 guys were made ineligible. ;)

We'd be lucky if 4 of those guys passed 8 on the beep test though :D:D:D

Congratulations to the guys who made the team!
Its a great looking team, bound to do well for Australia.

Good onya guys.

I'd be at the top of the list Michael. Some people can bowl better 75% fit than others ever will 100% fit.

So imagine how much better you could be at 100% fitness!!!!!!!!

THAT IS WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT!!!!!!

Ken has told us time and time again! Elite performance increases, you can do it better for longer, the more aerobically fit you are!

I'm all for it! And not because I can run a 9. I'd like it if they made us get to 10 for 10 points. No-one can't keep up with the beep test's speed. It's just all about how fit you are. Fitter you are, the better your ability to repeat shots, the better your ability to stay mentally focused all day.

Should the beep test have been done first?? I don't think it really matters.

Anyway.

Congratulations to the 6 Men who have made the team. While no one likes the selection criteria thus far. you cannot deny that it has given us 3 strong teams to go away and compete with.

Later Da Cowman!

So imagine how much better you could be at 100% fitness!!!!!!!!

Fitness is only a small part of this game!

You not running the marathon here, you get up every so often and chuck (Sorry robert) a ball down a lane.

Stop trying to make this game out to be something else, because its not.

There have been allot of non physical bowlers out there that can out do many other that look good!!!

cheers

Tony

Fitness is only a small part of this game!

You not running the marathon here, you get up every so often and chuck (Sorry robert) a ball down a lane.

There have been allot of non physical bowlers out there that can out do many other that look good!!!

cheers

Tony

spot on strop

im not the most areobic fit person but i feel i am fit enough to be able to bowl 6 games and compete at the highest level, i mean i did (and you can ask Dousty or Chris thomas) throw the ball at warp speed from game 1 to game 35 or what ever it was in melbourne and i won, but hey i mgiht of won by more if i was more areobic fit.

I think this selection criteria could be a good idea but i do not think a beep test at 8am on a freezing cold morning is the way to go.

Maybe we should bowl 12 games in the morning and 12 games in the afternoon, i wonder how many people would be able to do that and still stay consistant

I was not going to say anything casue i wasnt to happy with what happened.

Life goes on and at least i can save more money for the high roller in Feb

Can i ask the question of the guys that were there. Did you get an adequate warm up before attempting the beep test. If not them i do bring into the question of having it but if you did then I don't have a problem.

I think the whole idea of having a criteria that at least brings Tenpin into line with other sports is a great idea. If we are to be taken seriously in our efforts to gain Government funding then there is obviously a path that needs to be travelled. If this is it then so be it im all for it. Im sure the TBA will fine tune it to the point were everybody is happy (gee i just read that back am i dreaming everybody happy). At least they are trying something different to the
"good ole days" where if you weren't in the clique you had no chance. Goodness we don't want to go there again. Or is that why there is all of this complaining.

Just my opinion and please don't take any of this personal although im sure there is somebody out there who will. Glad i have a thick hide.

Phil

Just a thought, but maybe they could have a bowled a few games, did the beep test, then finished off their games. That way they've had the chance to warm up, and the scores will show the levels of fitness. If there is a large gap between the scores before and after the test, then they are unfit and probably can't go the distance required at big events such as what's required. On the flip side, if the scores remain consistent, then it's safe to say that those bowlers can be relied upon to be able to give it everything they have continually, for longer.

cheers
Tony

Tony,

These non physical bowlers are beating who???

For the last 4 years of bowling around the world, I have seen 1 very heavy person win in a bowling tournament.
It was the Boot Hill Sweeper, 45ft long oil sweeper. 5 games. I (FEB 2008)

Other than him and that one event...... I have not seen a heavy guy win.

My point is that if at the highest level of play, which i am bowling on a fortnightly basis, no very large bowlers have won....... So when competing for Australia (the highest level) why not make our bowlers more agile and fit??
Bowling is a skill game, so if a heavier person has more skill than someone smaller, im sure your right, he will beat them.
But at the highest level, every bowler there has skill.....and some of them are the most skilled bowlers in the world.

Your perception of the over weight bowler is just as good is wrong. (at the highest level). Scoll through the name at the World Championships and tell me what % are heavy...and what % do those players have to win?

Whilst I dont know what kind of sport bowling is to you. To me is the most competitive sport in the world.
We bowl against an invisible oil, topography of lanes, we bowl against left handers/right handers and we bowl against formats.
There is no other sport in the world as hard as bowling.
Anyone that doesnt like fitness to be apart of bowling, is a person who is too lazy to work at it.
Hell, I have lost 5 kilos in France exercising so i can become a better bowler, 2nd and 10th in my first 2 events....seems like its working!
Belmo

You know I Belmo I can't argue with you because of who you are.

I think it is everyone to there own, and there has been other the past 30 years a few bowlers that have been up there.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against one who wishes to train and be extremely fit when bowling, still not necessary will be good at the sport.

And I look at the way bowlers these days wanting there 4000+ revs on the ball, probably need to be fit.

And look at you the way you bowl, if you were 50 and as fat (elite athlete) as I am, I would like to see you bowl the way you do now.

We have had our few bowlers that have excelled in the past (maybe not as good as you, but your one of the gifted ones). Graham smith (Hall of famer) we had who was one of the first to cash on the PBA, Frank Ryan did OK for himself, god even Mark Roth later in life did OK.

I still don't think weight should be a issue its the ability with in that counts.

Cheers

Tony

Back
Top Bottom