LIVE STREAMING - Yeah right!

why couldn't they just show from 2.30 so we could have watched the other games that would have been better than nothing unless it was only available for the final and it would have cost to have the stream on for longer...

yer i logged in a 8pm and nothing its a shame, but i found the cameras were over the place when it was on for a few frames... i would have loved a back on shot like they do for the PBA.....

Bowling in Australia get little or no coverage at all, over the 3 weeks from the restricted nationals there was not one sign of any media outlet, it's sad
Johno 77 - Sorry, your statement is incorrect. Mt Druitt Standard Newpaper guy was there during Seniors Challenge taking photos and stories. Check out links on TBA website. Not sure how long he hung around, but his stories and photos look good.

Mt druitt standard.....didn't know that was a major Sydney paper.... Come on I think you know what I ment. Not one of the MAJOR media broadcasters (television) did not come out to RHRSL to cover the event.

I was there guys. There were all sorts of difficulties getting sufficient bandwidth. Live and learn, I guess...

Too many moronic comments to quote in one reply, but all those who were blowing up to begin with, ie jasonguru, jimcross and the rest about the problems happening, it is disappointing to read what are close to vitriolic comments, usually you guys have something constructive to say, but in this instance have tipped the scales towards the silly side. Disappointing I know if everyone was sitting around waiting for the show to begin.

There was no delay except for the mens waiting to play the final and it wouldnt be any different if the Tenpin Bowling show had filmed etc, it is the way it goes and the nature of 5 game matches, they take longer, and the day was running behind for reasons unknown, for whatever reason it took a long time to bowl, Carl made a comment to me during the morning it was almost 11am and we had only played 3 games, go figure, didnt feel like we were bowling slow, but obviously it compounded over time, factor in re oiling lanes and it lead to an eventual delay, the guys from the TBA advised us about it and to see if we could bowl a little quicker because they were due to have the feed running. They didnt want a delay yet it still happened, so it is hard to blame the TBA for that when it appears we as bowlers were slower than expected.

What can you say, things happen, maybe they could have tested the streaming before hand, am sure they probably did and thought the bandwidth would be sufficient as it was running through the bowls bandwidth, maybe they didnt expect it to be so popular, not sure, but this is still a big step in australian bowling and it was unfortunate it didnt work and has obviously disappointed a lot of people, but when crap hits the fan, what happens, people just whinge and complain and carry on like two year olds.

If everyone is such a genius, obviously with the benefit on hindsight, why not become part of the solution.

I think the guys that were running the show in the back office deserve a lot of thanks and credit to the hard work and time they have put in to run all the events over the past 3 weeks, a huge thanks should go also to AMF and Jordan for the sponsorship.

It really is sad when because something fails, the first thing that happens is people jump up and down and carry on like sooks, sure it was disappointing that it happened, but it can be learned from and improved.

And yes getting programs on TV is bloody expensive, even back in the day when the TV Coca Cola was running, that was a 250000 show to pay for? Who is going to pay for that now? Not the TBA, why? Because they dont have the funds, because noone wants to support membership, but everyone wants things to happen for nothing. AMF? Why should they and why do we have to rely on them all the time? Proprietors groups? What is in it for them? Outside marketing to businesses? Who is the TBA going to pay to do that (see no membership).

I thought the Nationals this year was part of the biggest I have bowled, huge amount of events entries, obviously due to the nature of the big prize, but gees there was some bowling done and I think overall it should be thought of as a success.

Hey Mick.

Let me just start by saying that I was in no way, shape or form, rubbishing the Nationals and wished I was there, but due to a broken collarbone on the 1st Oct, wasnt able to bowl.

What my thread was all about from the beginning, was that a time was set by TBA, a press release issued to practically the whole world, starting with every TBA member with an email addy, and they didnt come to the party.

False expectation was created, wether it be tardiness, or technical issue. Whatever the reason, a major opportunity was lost to showcase our main event and a lot could have been gained. I am not sooking or being vitriolic, am silly conveying mine, and many others disappointment at the situation and pointed out the best chance TBA had to make a ground breaking through, if you like, to get our sport out there to potential sponsors and the wider public, going forward.

I appreciate the effort, maybe lack of testing. Bowlers like yourself, Carl and the rest of the field can certainly not be blamed for anything and delays do happen. I am the 1st to realise this, they just should've stuck to the time and ran it, so we could watch you guys, that is what cheezed me off. I couldnt be there but really wouldve loved to see some action and it just didnt happen.

Simple as that! They deserve the Derryn Hinch spiel on this occasion as testing and planning wouldve prevented this from happening.

PS Well done on your own efforts throughout the Nationals and congrats to Sam Cooley and all winners out of, what was, on the outside appeared to be an excellent event.

No probs, shame you werent able to play yourself and much appreciated as well, there was some great bowling during the whole event, especially from the guys that made the final, my point being though that a lot of people including yourself were quick to jump on the outcome, which was poor, but it simply adds to not so much TBA bashing, but industry bashing on a whole, enough is enough at some point and the sport will never proceed forward whilst people are always happy to jump on the bandwagon and rubbish those, especially if they or things around them fail (as it is quite easy to do), but they are trying to have a go at making the sport better.

The point of my post and others I have put on here is there is a better way to express disappointment, post constructive comments and even better become part of solutions rather than expand problems or create new ones.

Idea and event was great if you were there, but the execution in streaming obviously didnt work. Learn from mistakes and move on. Posters on here probably don't think the guys from the TBA and AMF or proprietors and ball company reps get on here to read this stuff from time to time, am sure they love to see all the people out there whinging and carrying on. Would make them wonder why they sometimes support the industry from within.

In regards to press release, emails being sent to promote it, that is just the basic thing to do, and it would have been a bit hard to run at the advertised time, as I said we were running late, wasnt expected but it happened. Therefore the time set to start could hardly be stuck too as the matches werent ready.

Opportunity lost? Probably, and it is tough for the sport, because not only the TBA but I am sure AMF and the broader bowling community would have loved for it to worked, one point in your post should also be considered, the effort to create it, it could have been a lack of testing or perhaps the test run worked and the real thing failed, it happens, (Billy Idol, NRL GF??) I am sure it wont be the last time for something like this to try and get off the ground again, I sure hope that this setback doesnt stop it from happening in the future, perhaps it can be done on a larger scale next time to cover a variety of lanes similar to that of the World Champs or some Euro tournaments and the main finals day is streamed in its entirety. Costly exercise though.

I am sure if anyone out there knows of a cheaper and more cost effective guaranteed way of streaming tournaments, organisers etc, would be more than happy to hear about it because apart from this hiccup, most people would say the whole tournament and its events were a success.

Micks post should go into the totalbowling hall of fame. Nationals this year was the best Australian tournament I have ever participated in. The efforts made by the tournament committee was just plain amazing. Thanks guys for the experience!

Mick Little has once again hit the nail on the head! while its easy to sit here and criticise the problems that may have happened yesterday, i think its also important that we look at all the positives that this years Australian Nationals has bought.

Because of the prize on offer in the masters, there was what i am sure was a record number of entries in the championships. I think this years nationals can only be regarded as a huge success and was great to be involved in. Having being there for 2 weekends to both compete and spectate, i think both the staff at rooty hill bowling centre and the tournament team from TBA should be congratulated for what was an excellent tournament.

Sure there was the problems with the live stream, but this was the first time this has ever been attempted here for our sport, all i can say is at least TBA put in the effort to try this and is a massive step forward for our sport. Yes it didnt work this time, but like the old saying goes 'if at first you dont succeed, try and try again'. lets hope next year they try the live streaming again and learn from this year.

Lastly, having international bowlers participate in the tournament can only be a positive thing for the sport in Australia i believe. Having had the priviledged to speak to some of the international women, they all said how much they loved competing in the tournament. hopefully they go back and share their positive experiences with other bowlers overseas and this encourages more internationals to come and compete next year.

Hi Guys

Can the bowlers who where are the bowl during the Masters final tell me. Were the finals recorded. If so is it not possible to upload them to Youtube or at least provide a link so that they can at least be viewed even after the fact.

I assume the TBA outsourced the recording and subsequent live stream to the web. If so, certain guarantees would have been needed to ensure the live stream could go ahead. I dont think all the blame can be laid at the TBAs feet on this one. I applauded there vision all those months ago when there concept of this year Nationals and masters was announced. All the doomsayers here saying how it will never work. Well looking at the entries across most divisions it was an outstanding success. Hopefully the TBA can take away the good and bad and improve on it next year. Maybe Cara and her team can brag Tenpin Bowling into the 21st century despite all the criticism they are getting here.

Well done TBA and AMF for a great Nationals

Hi,

So the TBA web site is still promoting "Watch the AMF Masters Live". Why pretend; they failed. Surely an apology to those inconvenienced should be issued.

Hi Guys

Can the bowlers who were are the bowl during the Masters final tell me. Were the finals recorded. If so is it not possible to upload them to Youtube or at least provide a link so that they can at least be viewed even after the fact.

You can find an answer to that on the TBA site.

Hi,

So the TBA web site is still promoting "Watch the AMF Masters Live". Why pretend; they failed. Surely an apology to those inconvenienced should be issued.
As I've just said above. Look on the TBA site. Apology there too.

Too many moronic comments to quote in one reply, but all those who were blowing up to begin with, ie jasonguru, jimcross and the rest about the problems happening, it is disappointing to read what are close to vitriolic comments, usually you guys have something constructive to say, but in this instance have tipped the scales towards the silly side. Disappointing I know if everyone was sitting around waiting for the show to begin.

There was no delay except for the mens waiting to play the final and it wouldnt be any different if the Tenpin Bowling show had filmed etc, it is the way it goes and the nature of 5 game matches, they take longer, and the day was running behind for reasons unknown, for whatever reason it took a long time to bowl, Carl made a comment to me during the morning it was almost 11am and we had only played 3 games, go figure, didnt feel like we were bowling slow, but obviously it compounded over time, factor in re oiling lanes and it lead to an eventual delay, the guys from the TBA advised us about it and to see if we could bowl a little quicker because they were due to have the feed running. They didnt want a delay yet it still happened, so it is hard to blame the TBA for that when it appears we as bowlers were slower than expected.

What can you say, things happen, maybe they could have tested the streaming before hand, am sure they probably did and thought the bandwidth would be sufficient as it was running through the bowls bandwidth, maybe they didnt expect it to be so popular, not sure, but this is still a big step in australian bowling and it was unfortunate it didnt work and has obviously disappointed a lot of people, but when crap hits the fan, what happens, people just whinge and complain and carry on like two year olds.

If everyone is such a genius, obviously with the benefit on hindsight, why not become part of the solution.

I think the guys that were running the show in the back office deserve a lot of thanks and credit to the hard work and time they have put in to run all the events over the past 3 weeks, a huge thanks should go also to AMF and Jordan for the sponsorship.

It really is sad when because something fails, the first thing that happens is people jump up and down and carry on like sooks, sure it was disappointing that it happened, but it can be learned from and improved.

And yes getting programs on TV is bloody expensive, even back in the day when the TV Coca Cola was running, that was a 250000 show to pay for? Who is going to pay for that now? Not the TBA, why? Because they dont have the funds, because noone wants to support membership, but everyone wants things to happen for nothing. AMF? Why should they and why do we have to rely on them all the time? Proprietors groups? What is in it for them? Outside marketing to businesses? Who is the TBA going to pay to do that (see no membership).

I thought the Nationals this year was part of the biggest I have bowled, huge amount of events entries, obviously due to the nature of the big prize, but gees there was some bowling done and I think overall it should be thought of as a success.

Hey Michael

100 % Correct

Let me just put this back on track.

Thanks again Mick for the constructive reply as always.

At NO stage am i bagging the event or the running of, formats or any of that stuff. I think this years event would appear to be up with one of the best ever and think what AMF put up and TBA and all parties involved should be congratulated.

This thread was purely to do with the live stream that didnt happen and is now obvious that poor planning was the reason for the problem. Maybe the company hired to do etc were the factors and not the TBA at all, i dont know. All I wanted to convey here was the frustration myself and many, many others at the time through the chat were at the stream setup were feeling and i still feel TBA lost an opportunity here and it is very disappointing still.

I am not a dommsayer, or constantly bag through this channel. If you were to back track through all my posts, I have provided plenty of constructive discussion over the years here, and copped a lot of bagging for speaking the truth and opinion that at times was probably not warranted and maybe at times needed lol, but thats what forums are all about.

Mick, I think your posts are always constructive and positive for our sport and would never begrudge you otherwise, others i certainly would, but s**t happens.

So in summing up, this thread was purely to do with the streaming NOTHING more guys. I am still very disappointed with what happened to it but would ask that before you all jump on here and jump down my throat about bagging other things, re-read my posts as they are to do with the stream only.

Cheers.

Ahhh the power of the written word.

I think the problem lies with the fact that the system in place to provide the live streaming wasn't tested. In my experience (37 years ) I would not profess a system works until i have tested it thoroughly. Obviously the company (or indeed TBA if this is the case) handling this thought otherwise. In hindsight i bet they wish they had tested it before releasing the press statement. There is a lesson to be learned here. Lets hope all parties learn as apart from this the Nationals were a magnificent event professionally run to the highest standards.

Phil

Typed an essay on this then decided to summarise it.

Why single out this as a case of where things have been going to happen and then didn't? It isn't the first time and probably wont be the last.

Back
Top Bottom