Leagues v's Tournaments

Jase

Admin
Staff member
It’s something I have noticed for a while now but thought I would ask the question anyway.

Is it just me or does it seem that, Sponsors/Centre’s are pumping a lot of money into there everyday leagues…

If this is the case do we think this is another down fall for Tournaments?

Tournaments are struggling to survive as it is but I can’t help but feel this will be another chink in the armor..

I know it’s not the only reason, but with Leagues having Easier conditions and Money Boards on offer plus huge prize funds, why would people travel to tournaments when all the money can be won through the week on there door step…

OF COURSE the centres will put sponsorship money nowdays into leagues - guaranteed participation rate for about 46 weeks of the year, local advertising for their sponsors dollars (most sponsors come from local area)for 46 weeks or so, bowlers pay smaller amounts each week instead of one big entry which is easier on the pocket, social aspect is much better as bowlers get to know each other, travel costs for most bowlers is much lower with no accommodation attached and the bowling centres are businesses trying to produce a constant flow of money into the centre.

Easier conditions ? Who knows if that is the attraction - most bowlers do not want to bowl too tough - if this is bad for the sport is an argument which will go on forever !!!!!!!!!! Sports Series, Ranked events with 3:1 and 4:1 patterns for the last couple of years have dropped in numbers. I have it on good authority that the Lane Policy of previous years is to be relaxed in 2007.

The majority of 'ordinary' bowlers only want to bowl league so they go for the best value they can get .... the more experienced bowlers are deserting the majors but will still compete in local events .... this probably means that the almighty dollar rules ...... and numbers really do prove that bowlers do not want to do it tuff at a local level - they also do not want it too easy !!

It is extremely difficult to provide Prize Money which covers entry, travel and accom. for the 'ordinary' bowler - the social aspect of the sport has changed with not so much emphasis on joining together to have fun, no one stays and supports/watch other bowlers anymore (only a few of us reprobates prop up the bar nowdays with breath tests etc.!!!), bowlers text/mobile/email results instantly so there is no need to 'hang around'. Getting to know younger/older/new bowlers is a big 'no no' as people stay in the comfort zone of their own groups. League bowling provides this social aspect.

Flower

It’s something I have noticed for a while now but thought I would ask the question anyway.

Is it just me or does it seem that, Sponsors/Centre’s are pumping a lot of money into there everyday leagues…

Tournaments are struggling to survive as it is but I can’t help but feel this will be another chink in the armor..

I know it’s not the only reason, but with Leagues having Easier conditions and Money Boards on offer plus huge prize funds, why would people travel to tournaments when all the money can be won through the week on there door step…

I think it boils down to proprietors becoming more determined to maintain their "bread and butter" in the face of ever increasing competition. Keep their leagues happy and guarantee the centre's income

Tournament players (myself included), TBA etc have become far more demanding of recent times, especially in the realm of lane conditioning, all of which increases the "I really don't need this aggravation" feeling amongst centres that have the decision of how to distribute their finite financial resources. Do they put the money towards tournaments that create a once a year lineage improvement, usually at a far reduced game rate, requiring more staff or towards their loyal league players in order to maintin that loyalty and maintain or improve their year round league lineage.

Both league and tournament players complain about various matters pertaining to the centre, be it lane conditions, the food, lineage prices etc, but at least the league players will return WEEK AFTER WEEK if they feel they are at least being rewarded for that loyalty. Tournament players just go away and maybe come back next year. They sometimes post positive feedback on message boards, but often it is negative and independent proprietors especially take this criticism to heart as they are most often very proud of their centres and the service they provide.

TBA lane conditioning requirements are placing extra stress on centres as well. Centres without sanction technology machines have to work the condition in over a week or so which causes problems for the league players who in turn complain that their normal shot is'nt there. While I totally support the TBA's attempt to create tougher lane conditions for tournaments, it is an extra impost on most centres that they could truly do without.

As a result, it is not surprising that more money is being pumped into leagues than into tournaments. The question is, what can tournament players do to turn this trend around? Some suggestions:

1) A simple thank you to the centre never goes astray. You would not believe what a simple note of thanks does for staff and proprietors.

2) Give something back to the centre, such as maybe help with some clinics for juniors the night before the event. It helps when the time comes to decide how sponsorship oney is distributed if the centre can see some benefit towards keeping their regular bowlers happy.

3) Take your lumps when it comes to the lane condition if it doesn't suit you. I have been guilty of complaining to centres when I have considered their conditions to be not up to scratch. However the reality is that this type of complaining (usually irrationally) only serves to put the centre offside with tournament players.

Pardon the long post, but as a tournament player myself, I don't want to see this become too much of a trend

I don't understand.

I have seen posts on this site about bowling being in decline and we must get the numbers up again etc, yet here is a post that appears to me to be complaining about the promotion of leagues at local centres.

Just remember that if it wasn't for the local leagues and their week-in week-out supply of money there'd be fewer alleys and probably fewer tournaments.

"Having cake and eating it" springs immediately to mind.

Fred.

Jase,

I must admit our centre at Ashmore has only run 1 non-local tournament in the past 10 years (skins about 2 months ago), but there is hope for more in the future. The centre management runs a few local tourneys per year to encourage league bowlers and to give something back but beside that, all their "sponsorship" for leagues is done in the way of rebate to prize fund at the end of the year.

The centres are obviously a buisness( party bookings are huge here, took over the old pro shop with party stuff it's that big), and they try to take care of their home market, which I can understand, but the mentality is switching to the higher profit, less nagging(about lane conditions), general public(social bowlers).

I must admit that I don't bowl in tournaments anymore, I used to 10+ years ago (pre wife & kids & mortgage, in that order too:D ). So now I chose only to bowl in the things that give me enjoyment, not reward( association challenge).

So in finishing, yes I agree that Alleys are giving more back to leagues than Tourneys. Its common buisness sense I suppose, but sponsors? I haven't seen one sponsor a league at our centre for ages( except "pepsi have a ball"),and I hope the closest alley to me stays open or else it may be the end of my bowling, period.

So to me, in my humble opinion, I think that you are correct, but from my perspective, there is not much wrong with it.

Craig

I can't see how this is a bad thing. Get bowling growing at the grass roots level and everyone benefits in the short, medium and longer terms.

If you think about it, tournaments in any sport came about originally because a group of players wanted to challenge themselves against each other to see who was the best. This way of life goes back to the beginning of time. Our problem is the numbers, and to be honest, I think that National Level Tournaments are becoming over-regulated.

This talk of tougher lane conditions to bring back scoring "integrity" (as a side note, what do you define as integrity?) has gone on long enough I feel. It's had a few years to prove itself now, and has tournament bowling increased or decreased in numbers? Well, decide for yourself.

IMHO, the TBA pattern policy is destroying tournament numbers in this country, and is therefore undermining the whole point of the system.

People keep saying it, but again - the best will always rise to the top. If the "best" doesn't and the rank underdog manages to win, goodluck to them. But everyone is playing on the same pattern, so you can't call it bias based on how "easy" a pattern is. In addition to that - the bowlers that contribute to the field in general don't want to go to a tournament and average 170 when they believe they should be 190 or above, so why do we keep punishing our sport until it dies altogether?

As for bringing our patterns into line with overseas tournament levels, by all means practice on the tougher patterns. But competing in one tournament in which you might qualify for an international event such as the World Cup isn't an indicator of sucess. Practice on the tough shots is - and this should be done outside our tournament system.

Mary & Brenton have some very valid points and i agree with most of them.
BUT
Why are tournaments not filling like they used to?
I think one of the main reasons is the glut of tournaments now compared to previous decades.
To many to choose from.

Rob

Having posted as I did earlier, it may have sounded like I was against the TBA policy. Far from it! I believe strongly in the lane conditioning policy for tournaments. Competing on tough patterns is nothing like practicing on them. No-one evr said it would be an instant cure for the ills of tournament play in Australia. In fact there was always going to be an initial backlash against it from bowlers who could not and/or would not be able to play those patterns. My feeling on it is that a win is a win whether you average 190 or 240. Trust me you get a lot more kudos for winning on a lower average than you do for .wining on a higher one

To go back to the old policy would be like asking the PGA Tour to play on the same tees that members do on easy, wide open courses. There would be no credibility in that. It is going to take time for both players and centres to come to grips with this policy. Some never will and indeed it may take almost a generation of bowlers before this policy becomes a natural part of our tournament scene. Until then it will probably continue to feel like an impost on both the centres and the centres. However, I feel the future of the sport depends on it.

I merely put that up as part of the reason that some centres are putting more sponsorship money into leagues than tournaments.

Mary & Brenton have some very valid points and i agree with most of them.
BUT
Why are tournaments not filling like they used to?

In my opinion, skyrocketing entry fees and insane lane conditions have a lot to do with it.

In my opinion, skyrocketing entry fees and insane lane conditions have a lot to do with it.

And just what do you consider "insane"?

I had to play on a 1:1 pattern at the US Open in 2003. Brutal? Most certainly! Insane? Only for those who weren't accurate.

As for the entry fees, you may have a point, but thats only half the story as when that is combined with the amount of equipment you need to be competitive today, the TOTAL cost is very high.

My thought is that the cost related to the amount of equipment you need to have is not only a result of technology, but also lane conditions to be competative at these tournaments..?? Sure you need the knowledge of how to play the condition, and you need to be accurate, but you also need to have the ball to match up to that condition.

Another reason why that level of bowling won't work here, just my opinion. For the numbers we have in Australia, versus the distance to cover to go to these tournaments, coupled with the extra costs of equipment and so on, people just won't fork it out to average 170.

Leagues can advertise for the whole year for their sponsorship and Tournaments are only the one weekend.

With regard to the "insane" conditons, I can see where Brenton is coming from and I agree with him but having said that if tournaments overseas are having 240 averages to win then why shouldn't we. The theory of integrity doesn't seem to effect Europe and check out the current World Cup.

Personally I like the easier conditions, the less shots I have to throw the better ... I am too old to spare.

Terry,

I thought us old farts relied on our sparing to keep up with the kids. Or maybe I am not quite old enough yet............

We do but I would just rather throw less shots. I have to say it is enjoyable bowling on the conditions that were once illegal. It's fun to shoot so many strikes ... not everyone wants to be world beater or worries about the integrity of the game. Some just do it for fun ...

I have found that as I get older it is all in the past.

Back
Top Bottom