JUNIOR SHIELD HANDICAPPED

dynamo

Is the rumor true about junior shield being a handicapped tournament this year ?
Will this spell the end of junior shield as we know it. :rip:

have heard this at forest hill while rolloffs were on, also most centres have teams picked ,amf has not told anyone, wonder what effect this will have :confused: . wait and see how this thread carries on:(

sounds like a good idea might make for a closer competition and give some incentive for some younger bowlers to get in a and have a go and get some experience at a younger age?
cheers

Dont agree at all. How do you inspire a potential champion junior bowler to carry on if he/she gets beat at Junior shield because any team stacked there team with lower handicap bowlers and come out and bowl well. (it doesn't really happen does it i hear you ask) Just look at Deveer. I can remember going through what i would call the golden years of shield. When Matto and Carly and Tracey and Mickey and Porto, Jess and Craig Ryan gee do i need to go on. How many of our future champions sat and watched in awe as those great junior bowlers went through their paces. If you make it handicap there is a very good chance the above bowlers wouldn't have even qualified for there centers. Leave it scratch its where our future champions come from.

Phil

Maybe there needs to be a separate one for the handicapped event?

Then like Mac said, we could encourage those who would otherwise not have made it.

Keep it scratch otherwise it's not much for our juniors to aspire to, is it? There are plenty of handicapped events for younger/less experienced/less competitve bowlers to play in.

well there is a tough one!!!
the last year i bowled i found that being in the all stars though it was a hard task to do... i found that there wasn't as many top bowlers as in higher average juniors as what there was when the likes of matto, carly, mickey, craig and co were in junior shield!
if you change it to handicap... it will give the higher ave bowlers more incentive to achieve higher scores... cause they might be chasing a kids with 50 plus handicap... and if that kid bowls a 200 he has bowled it is an awesome game for his capabilities... and if the 200 ave junior bowls a 230 and loses... they both know they have bowled a fantastic game!
There are top juniors who bowl against lower juniors... they might bowl a 170 game and beat that lower junior, cause really he is only an 150-160 average bowler!
what incentive does it give the top junior and cause the lower average junior hasn't won a point it will make it so he can say look i beat so and so!...
i know personally it will be a good change... and will really make it so the lower juniors have a chance... and the top juniors work for there points!

Ahh junior shield... They were alot of fun!

My first year of attempting to qualify, (quite a long time ago now) I missed the team by bowling the same as the bottom qualifier, but going on the highest last game actually missed. I paid my dues sitting as reserve for the entire tournament.

For 12 months I worked on my game non stop, striving to improve myself so I could make it. It was my goal. I learned all about reactive bowling balls, fingertip, hooking the ball and the importance of spares. I got coaching from Jeanette Baker and Stephen Bell that year. The very next year I made the team.

Hypothetically, if the event wasn't scratch, I'm sure I would have made that first team. I wouldn't have paid my dues as reserve, and I would have been content at that level of bowler knowing it was "good enough" to make the centre representitive team. Would I have ever reached the level I currently compete at if I had made that first team? I have no idea. I do know that all I thought about for the next 12 months was the chance to make that next team and roll against the best other centres had to offer.

Several of my team mates that year shot their first 200 games and their first 600 series for 3. Did the scratch format encourage the bowler to bowl better than they ever have?

It was the only scratch event as a junior we had to improve our game for. Everything else was handicapped. We looked up to the best junior bowlers from other centres, and it gave us an incentive to improve our game to compete at the next level.

I have got to go with my gut feeling here and ask the powers to be to keep it a scratch event, as if it was handicapped when I competed, I have no idea where my game would be today. I would be disapointed for the juniors, as the one chance they get to compete against each other scratch in a teams event would be sorely missed...

100% right andrew, my son started junior shield 5 years ago as a lower h/cap bowler,like all his friends..josh..nick..ross..etc all trained and coached 3_4 times a week to make it to their centres shield teams.. the benchmark was boronia or keon park ,always the teams to beat, this was their grand final. and we as parents,and many parents have been there all the way, its a big thing for us as well ,watching all juniors improve from all centres every year. this tread already suggests there are plenty of h/cap events to cater for the up and coming bowlers. the centres that have not had their roll offs now have the advantage, will they need scratch bowlers?? amf should have thought of this, instead of not making any announcements,,they could lose there best bowlers to emerson, or risk losing them to comps in n.s.w. all juniors will probly feel the same.. as the saying goes.." if it ain"t broke don"t fix it "...:eek:

100% right andrew, my son started junior shield 5 years ago as a lower h/cap bowler,like all his friends..josh..nick..ross..etc all trained and coached 3_4 times a week to make it to their centres shield teams.. the benchmark was boronia or keon park ,always the teams to beat, this was their grand final. and we as parents,and many parents have been there all the way, its a big thing for us as well ,watching all juniors improve from all centres every year. this tread already suggests there are plenty of h/cap events to cater for the up and coming bowlers. the centres that have not had their roll offs now have the advantage, will they need scratch bowlers?? amf should have thought of this, instead of not making any announcements,,they could lose there best bowlers to emerson, or risk losing them to comps in n.s.w. all juniors will probly feel the same.. as the saying goes.." if it ain"t broke don"t fix it "...:eek:

Agree 100%. I think you will find that a lot of the success that Victoria has had over the past few years in Presidents shield can be attributed to Junior Shield and Emerson shield. If you go back through the years and look at the allstar teams from Junior and Emerson you will find most of the Presidents shield team. Enough said AMF leave it alone.

Phil

There are plus and minuses that could be listed to no end.
But if it is going to be handicapped, one decision on a limit of handicap should be set.
Its the best in a bad situation to help the genuine scratch bowlers.

I'm still undecided on the change, just glad I aged out last year.
Good luck to everyone who does bowl thought :)

This is a symptom of a greater problem.
Bowling is dyeing in this country, and this is a first sign of things to come.

What's next Dunn Shield?

Centres have no juniors
no juniors = no adults
no adults = no sport

With living costs going up, interest rates on the rise, petrol going up. Family's and people in general find it hard to do the extra things they like to do.
With AMF's increasing prices they are choking the life out of it.
People look for cheaper sports and there is loads of them.

Frosty:rolleyes:

As a current junior bowler, i think this idea SUCKS.......

I mean seriously last yr's 2007 roll off for president shield was appalling only 9 girls rolled off, that says alot for our state, we need to start building our current junior bowlers up for bigger and better things so that they can one day bowl president shield.

The handicap system is only going to help the bowlers with VERY low averages, and from what i have seen over the past 2 yrs that i have bowled junior shield, there arnt to many VERY low averaged people bowling......

This sport needs their juniors to experience something more challenging then just another handicap tournament otherwise we are not going to have a sport in years to come.

Anyway i dont know if that makes sense to any of you. But that what i think....

My sister and i will not be bowling if the handicap system is going ahead, and i have heard from alot of other bowlers that they wont be bowling either.....

Thats my thoughts cheers.

just wondering would there be a problem with making the qualifying for each centre scratch and then bring in handicaps for the final to make it a bit more closer and make everyone perform under pressure to win games?what is the use to a younger bowler just starting out to come up against the scratch bowler and get smashed every game for the whole weekend?some centre's teams are made up of younger bowlers to make up and actually field a team,is it better to get a full team and make it more competitive or just let this event as with other scratch events dwindle away to not much?shouldn't it be about encouraging the future of this great game?
we have to start somewhere
cheers

Heres a better idea. Make each team consist of 3 hdcp bowlers and 4 scratch bowlers. Each game must consist of 2 hadcp and 3 scratch bowlers. Positions 1 and 2 for the hacp bowlers and 3 to 5 for the scratch bowlers. This gives everybody a go. Might be the saving grace of junior shield.

Just my thoughts

Phil.

There are not enough scratch bowlers going around to have two or three in each team.

I believe that this event should be scratch as it gives the graded bowlers the challenge of beating a scratch bowler.

There has been some great scratch bowlers who have been beaten.

There is about 140 bowlers in shield of which there would be 10-20 scratch bowlers so it doesn't make any sense to make it a graded event.

There are not enough scratch bowlers going around to have two or three in each team.
I believe that this event should be scratch as it gives the graded bowlers the challenge of beating a scratch bowler.
There has been some great scratch bowlers who have been beaten.
There is about 140 bowlers in shield of which there would be 10-20 scratch bowlers so it doesn't make any sense to make it a graded event.

Ok So i read you post 4 times and still cant make sence out of it. What are you saying do you want it scratch or handicap.

Phil

There are pros and cons no matter which way they go but another idea would be to leave it scratch but you must bowl in order of your current average. Bowler 1 would be the lowest ave then so on. This way you wont have a 190ave bowler bowling againest a 120 and you will closing the gap without using hadicap.
Just my Thought

Back
Top Bottom