IS EQUIPMENT ABOUT TO CHANGE?

Just a question, but wouldnt it be easier to make the legal conditions harder to bowl on (ie flatter)? Make it that for all leagues or achievements that want to be TBA sanctioned, that they must take reading of the lanes, this could limit scoring more effectively than trying to change balls over the next 5-10 years.
Just my thoughts

I dont see anyway balls are going to get regulated....or as some people like think....go back 5-10 years.... it just aint gonna happen..Ball companies need to revolutionize gear ..otherwise they wouldnt have a job...and wouldnt make money.

What needs to be done i think is heavier pins and tougher house patterns and sports pattern tournaments...oh yes.

THAT WOULD BE HEAVEN

I remember asking on BR.com a while ago(before these USBC propsals came up) what difference cutting the max differential to .040" would achieve and a few reasonably wise people over there told me not much!! Make that back 20ft of the lane dead clean and you'll get ball reaction anyway.(some pretty good stuff has lower diff than .040", eg Fire Quantum .032" , dont try and tell me thats a weak ball!!)

Ducati 851 said:
What needs to be done i think is heavier pins and tougher house patterns and sports pattern tournaments...oh yes.
THAT WOULD BE HEAVEN

So when do we see your name down for the sport series Ducati??????;)

AdrianS said:
I remember asking on BR.com a while ago(before these USBC propsals came up) what difference cutting the max differential to .040" would achieve and a few reasonably wise people over there told me not much!!

100% correct.

The RG differential of a ball, controls the amount of flare potential that a ball has. Most high Diff balls I drill (for myself) are with a pin 5 inches or more from PAP, and 90% of the time its with a flare decreasing XH. The only guys that would even remotely struggle with a rule change like that, is someone with very little revs, and mid to high ball speed. Guys like Brenton Davy, George Frillingos, Paul Trotter, Michael Muir etc etc would have a clear disadvantage against the likes of Belmo, Brando, Lean, Matt Riley going into a tournament, especially if there was any respectable quantity of oil out there.

On a 'typical house shot' (where scoring can be rediculously high) the higher differential almost makes no advantage whatsoever, as the amount of "free hook" that is generally allowed offsets any need for a higher flaring ball and/or layout. I find most nights in 1 of the centres I bowl at, The plastic ball reved up down 10 board gives me all the hook and hit I need (or want), due to the severely dry outsides, and the very short pattern.

The only way to control scoring environments in bowling, is to make the pattern flatter, and the pins heavier. It really is that simple. The only thing thats stopping this change from happening, is the centres fearing losing customers to a higher scoring centre. How many of us out there REALLY want tougher scoring conditions? Honestly?

Ducati 851 said:
Getting a bit off topic here but what does the sport need to further itself "AS A SPORT"???
Tougher conditions = lower scores (in most cases) Is that what the fans wanna see??? Problem is bowlers (myself included) dont wanna fork out hundreds and thousands of dollars one tournaments and equipment to bowl 190-200 averages, just so that we dont make the sport too easy.
Or do we wanna make conditions piss easy so the telephone numbers get shot and you need 225 - 230 averages to makes cuts. Many bowlers may turn up to tournaments but get disgruntled at bowling a 220 and missing cut or just making cash!
Scores will look great on T.V. but what does it say for the sport if someone watches an event and sees 6 300's in one tournament. That is meant to be the pinnacle of our sport. It was meant to be a rare or great achievement. Now adays every man and his dog can bowl 300. Not taking it away from bowlers because yes it does come to the bowler having to bowler the ball but all other parts of the games assist too.
Kelvin

Getting a little off subject with this post, however something needs to change or be changed , if not the bowling balls, then it must be the lane conditions.

How does the governing body enforce tougher lane conditions? they can't! they have tried for decades to enforce strict oil patterns, now we have a governing body who turn a blind eye to non-compliment oil patterns.

The conditioning of the lanes needs to be self regulated, one way of doing this would be to make the centre owners responsible and liable to pay out all honour scores shot on their lanes. Rest assure, that if this rule was brought into play, tougher lane conditions would emerge, nullifying the high tech reactive balls overnight, resulting in a dramatic reduction in the number of honour scores immediately!!

There are many reasons why the excessive amount of honour scores is crippling the game...........here is just one.

In simple terms, bowling centres at the moment have pooled together in a national insurance scheme, each centre pays a insurance premium, when a honour score is shot in their centre, they make a insurance claim, pay a excess payment to the insurance company and the award is paid out to the bowler from the money supplied by the insurance claim.

The big problem with this scheme is, some centres make only a few claims each year, which reflects their tough lane conditions or low skilled bowlers, whilst other centres make a claim once per week reflecting their easy lane conditions or higher skilled bowlers.
Regardless of why you think some centre have lots of honour scores and others very little, the fact of the matter is, the annual insurance premium that each centre pays does not reflect the amount of high games in their individual centre. This is causing friction between the centres as the centres with the lower number of honour scores believe they are supporting and being unfairly penalised by the centres with high numbers of honour scores.

The centres with higher numbers of honour scores are being critized for laying down easy lane conditions thus attracting the bowlers.........it's a very delicate situation at the moment, with several other factors to be considered before the problem can solved. If the problem cannot be solved, there won't be any payments for high scores in the very near future, as the individual centres cannot afford to pay an insurance premium without being part of the scheme, and the scheme is in very real danger of imploding.

This system is falling down due to the ever increasing number of honour score being shot. The insurance premiums kept going up, reflecting the huge number of claims paid out every year. It's getting to the stage where the insurance premiums to stay in this scheme won't be worth it for some centres, meaning an increase on the annual premium to reflect the lower number of contributors in the scheme............it's a catch 22 situation.

There is nothing wrong with high scores and high averages in the sport, and there is not a single centre out there who would deny a bowler his honour score and payment, so long as the score was shot on fair but not EASY lane conditions.

Neville

The problem is with this equipment is its hard to lay down a shot that gives you a 'medium' scoring pace (like a lot of events in the late 80's early 90's) You know, cut just under the card, cash around 192-193av, maybe 1 guy really 'burning' on top with 220, maybe around 205-208 to make the top 5 stepladder. Now anyone can wall up a lane and anyone can put a blob of oil outside 10 and make them tough. But what do we need to do to get that 'Just right' blend where all styles get an oppurtunity(but not a hit these 10 boards garuntee!!) to score from all angles(which 3:1 conditions DONT always give you!!!)

No Reactives?(bust out those Hammers people!!)
Stuff that doesnt flare?(remember carrydown, and lanes being a little tighter at the end of a squad than the start?)
LESS oil?(people would still use their sponges and waa-waa when the lanes got dry of course!!)

any ideas?

edit: closest condition to this 'utopia' i ever bowled on? 2002 Australian Open when they had the 1999 FIQ world championship condition down

Back
Top Bottom