RE: Bowling Ball / Equipment Register

jockey

Currently being a victim of theft. My car was stolen while watching the second squad of qualifying in the Werribee Cup yesterday.

I was wondering about the merits of a place where bowlers can register the serial numbers of their bowling balls and other equipment.

Obviously not everyone would register there equipment but with a bit of promotion maybe proshops could suggest it to all their customers at time of purchase. The proshops also usually keep a record of the serial numbers at purchase time, or at least they should.

One could then protect themselves from losing out if they happened to come accross equipment in a proshop or pawnshop such as cash converters. They could simply search the register for the ball/equipment registration number. For that matter those proshop owners who deal in used equipment could protect themselves as well. There would also need to be a facility for change/transfer of ownership to avoid unneccessary hassles to bowlers who sell their equipment.

What do you think Graham? Would a new forum for this be viable? At least with such a facility on Total Bowling it would be probably the only way to have one uniform registrar nationwide.

I'm hoping I will get my stuff back and as I go to Bowlers World will be able to get the serial numbers of my bowling balls to keep an eye out for them.

I wonder what other people who have been in my situation think? What do the people who work in the proshops think?

Regards
Terry

I do think - as a web developer and pro shop staffer - that this is a very good idea, and one that is feasible also. I'll have a chat to Graham about it and see if there's anything we can come up with on our own sites.

Daniel

I would suggest people leave their thoughts here either way .. I am not sure what I think about it yet but with the right sort of support I could be persuaded :)

Very much in support of such a register. I have lost sporting equipment 3 times in the past and only once have I ever recovered it.

Also know of a recent case where a ball went "missing" and reappeared for plug and redrill in someone else's possession. Person who acquired it had apparently done so by a five finger discount. Got a bit nasty and wasn't resolved until the police got involved.

Graham, would a nominal fee to join the register be enough incentive to get this off the ground?

Sumo

Sumo said:
Very much in support of such a register. I have lost sporting equipment 3 times in the past and only once have I ever recovered it.

Also know of a recent case where a ball went "missing" and reappeared for plug and redrill in someone else's possession. Person who acquired it had apparently done so by a five finger discount. Got a bit nasty and wasn't resolved until the police got involved.

Graham, would a nominal fee to join the register be enough incentive to get this off the ground?

Sumo

How is charging going to get this thing off the ground, sure Graham may start it up and a few people may join, but the basis of the idea is to get lots of people submitting their s/n's.

People don't want to pay for such a service.

Hey MM,
If it costs a couple of bucks per person to set up and maintain the register, it might become a reality. If nobody wants to foot the bill, why should this site dedicate its resources to hosting it?

Regrettably, their ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Sumo

Well for a starts probably half the active useres on this site are under 18 and have access to paypal. Second of all most people will run their chances, if there gear hasn't been stolen yet, why would it be stolen now.

No one is charged to use this site now, so why should something like an equipment register have a fee?

It's not like graham is going to have to pay more for hosting an extra addition to the site, shouldn't be to big.

MM
Well for a starts probably half the active useres on this site are under 18 and have access to paypal. Second of all most people will run their chances, if there gear hasn't been stolen yet, why would it be stolen now.

If that is the case then its their parents that are going to buy them new equipment. No the under 18's "yes" :?:

It is also one thing to host a site it is another to keep it up to date with the latest changes to bowling equipment. As there are some 1900 registered users why shouldn't there be a small joining fee. It "the register" does require a fair amount of updating. Are you prepared to do this for nothing... :roll:

That is incorrect, i am under 18 and have purchased everyone of my balls from my own income, and dont tell me "your parents give you the money" because its MY money, i earnt it.

Graham wouldn't have to update it for every single ball, the user could put the information in about the ball, BUT this brings up a problem, for it to be fool proof, there needs to be photographic evidence of balls, reciepts and signed letters from sellers to make sure that everything is perfect.

It's to much hassle for what its worth, although it wouldn't surprise me if graham did it considering what he already does do for the Australian bowling community at no cost.

Later

Obviously not everyone is going to register there s/n's but if something was available and it was promoted the right way at least there would be some way of checking to see if the item you are intending to purchase has been logged and whether it's current status was stolen or not.

The old balls you sometimes find at say a cash converters are not the target of this register. What I was suggesting was a way for serious bowlers to have a way of protecting their serious investment in equipment.

The regular house player who plays in a win a ball league may not be interested. But if they had suffered just like I have then they just might change their minds.

When you bowl in the Rachuig, Daveer or bowl a 300 etc. you have to fill in the details of your bowling balls you are intending to use/ used, so why not short circuit this process by having the information in the public domain. Or at least in an online database that can be readily searched to protect all parties who either govern or simply just wish to enjoy this sport.

If people want to advance their bowling by illegal means then I don't think they are welcome in our sport and so their should be a way of weeding them out for good.

PS: On a more pleasant note I got a call from Werribee police today to tell me my car was found. Windows smashed but boot apparently still locked so after fingerprinting is done I hope I will be greeted by my stuff when the boot is opened. I'll never take the police for granted again! Great job!

I'll also never put my stuff in the car until I am going to drive off again! The first time I went against this (my usual) policy this happens! I suggest we all should stick to that policy in future, don't you! Too much investment in time, money, blood sweat and tears not too!

Regards
Terry
It's time to be Hammer-ed! Oops I mean Humble!

micky_macca said:
No one is charged to use this site now, so why should something like an equipment register have a fee?

It's not like graham is going to have to pay more for hosting an extra addition to the site, shouldn't be to big.

I dont think we should take Graham Or his site for granted.

Sure Graham may or maynot have to pay extra,for the majority to have the privillage of this extra function but do we realy need it!

I have NEVER checked a serial number of a ball i own let alone someone elses!

Jase

For the last time, the idea is NOT fool proof which means it couldn't be used efficiently, even if it were free.

I quote this from someone else
"for it to be useful every single pro shop in the country would HAVE to have access to it to update sold ballss, old balls being sold, and new owners of these balls, also pro shops would have to check up on this everytime someone wanted to drill a second hand ball"

Pro shop owners are not going to do that, its to much hassle to get in contact with the owner of the ball and ask them if everything is genuine.

And i agree we shouldn't use graham i never said we should.

Jase

I wonder whether your view would be the same about not needing this vehicle if this scenario would happen to you:

Heard story about a proshop worker whose ball was stolen from his car. A couple of weeks later a gentleman turns up to arrange a ball plug and redrilling. The ball in question was the proshop workers that was stolen from his car.

OR

Bought balls from some bowler and went to get them plugged and redrilled.

Asked to wait in proshop, a short time later greeted by police and asked to accompany them down to the station for being in possession of stolen goods.

Or worse still arrested during league in front of all your peers. Extreme I know but quite possible if one follows your practice.

As to charges that is obviously up to Graham as I suggested in my first post to see if it is a viable venture for total bowling. After yesterday I don't think I would be quibbling about a small fee for peace of mind. Compared to the cost of a ball that tournament bowlers use I don't think their would be much argument.

But everyone has there own comfort zone.

Regards
Terry

If total bowling is not the right forum then maybe we should enquire to the TBA as to whether this is not a venture that is in the best interests of the sport.

If so then maybe they can implement something on their website being the governors of the sport. After all in my previous posts I mentioned that representative bowlers must provide this information and it is then kept by TBA.

How it was to be monitored for alterations is something that would have to be thoroughly worked out before implementation.

Regards
Terry

Dont need to squabble about it , I just want to know if anyone would be interested in it - am going to need more than 3 people to convince me it's a good idea!

What would be the point in starting another forum or register for the registration of serial numbers. At any one time it would never be upto date and would be very time consuming.

One issue that hassn't been rasied yet is INSURANCE. If anyone is concerned about there equipment they would put it on the list of items you have insured on your home and contense insurance. If that policy doesn't cover it then you would be wise taking out a seperate insurance policy (if there is one) just for your bowling equipment.

This might be costly but if you get your equipment back 9 times out of 10 it would be damaged or you will have to replace it anyway. Also when insuring your equipment you will be able to record your serial numbers on the insurance papers.

Just a thought. :?:

House and contents only covers you for a burglary from your house. Most car insurance policies have limits as to how much they will cover items stolen from a vehicle.

Thus you will not get much help from your existing insurance policies. Take it from someone who just went through the whole process.

As to having one specifically for your equipment then I don't think it would be viable unless you have over $10,000 worth of equipment. Also how often do you change equipment and how much will constant policy alterations cost you I wonder.

As to your comments on being time consuming, how long does it take you to type in a registration number and hit the search key? I think it would be neglible when you consider the cost of purchasing stolen equipment.

Your right that it will never be totally up to date at any instance in time. However this would depend on the uptake of it's use by tournament / competitive bowlers. After all they are the ones making all the investment in time and money with their equipment.

Graham will have to answer the question of how much another forum would cost? I would consider that if it was going to be used regularly by all users of the forum, that it would not be that much.

But that is the key in the end as Graham said, he needs to know if their is sufficient demand to introduce this facility.

Regards
Terry
Still waiting on finger printing to be finished, before I know if I get my equipment back.

On insurance I have all of my bowling balls insured as well as my bag and wrist guard but not my Dexter’s (as shoes are not covered) and they will replace them if they are stolen but I have to pay about $150 out of what $3,000 worth of equipment so that is one thing you all could look into, but with the register I think it would be a good idea.
(One more thing the insurance does not cover anything stolen if it is in a bowling alley :? )

Back
Top Bottom