RANDOM EQUIPMENT CHECKS

androooo

hmmmmm......
Staff member
Courtosy of TBA...

Random Equipment Checks

As advised in the managers’ meeting, during Day 2 & 3 of President’s Shield, the tournament team conducted random equipment checks.
A representative from each team was called to the Pro-Shop and a random draw was conducted and witnessed by the team representatives themselves.

Of the six participants selected a total of 17 bowling balls were checked. Four of these balls checked were deemed illegal as they were oversize and one other had excessive side weight.

Penalties were to be imposed if the bowler with illegal equipment had won their point in the game bowled immediately prior to the ball check. No penalties were applied to any of the participants found to have illegal equipment.

The tournament team was in no way targeting ball drillers in this procedure. Unless offered voluntarily we were unaware of who drilled any of the balls. Ultimately, it is the bowler’s responsibility to ensure that their equipment is legal.

Some contention has arisen over the ball drilling skills of a certain Pro-shop operator in South Queensland. It should be noted that all the equipment checked, drilled by this operator, was deemed to be legal.

The ball found to have excessive side weight was not drilled by the above operator. This ball was immediately fixed and the bowler permitted to use it in the next game.

In future events the tournament team plan to distribute ball registration forms to all teams prior to the event and check all equipment before President’s Shield, Rachuig, De Veer or Youth Challenge.

Now these are my questions.

How could a ball company make oversized balls, or do balls swell with use? Does that mean a ball has to be measured before drilling commences? Does that mean if the ball is oversize, you must sand some surface off so it is the correct size? Does an oversize ball mean it's not a top notch product, or classed as faulty, and should be replaced?

I think this opens a whole series of questions that could be asked.

How were the balls measured? With calipers or the rings? Being in a centre that doesn't have access to measurement devices, what should we do. This comes to be quite a concern for myself as I drill many balls for many other people aside from myself.

I would love an explanation to all this. Will someone be gutsy enough to name the companies and/or models of balls?

Andrew Phillips (Just so you know I'm not hiding behind an alias)

Just an interesting side note to this. When checking equipment before Junior Nationals it was found that all A.M.F. 6lb house balls are oversize (at this particular centre). So be warned dont bowl a 300 with a 6ib house ball, there illegal lol.

Andrew,

A good question [more than one in fact] - I don't know all the answers so I have emailed our technical people in the US and have asked for their input. Like you I have no idea what brand balls are involved and frankly I don't think this is important to the overall.

Whilst the design and development of new technology balls is a science - the manufacturing process is pretty similar to what it has been for decades. Some changes of course - but not so many as you might think. To this end there will be [as in any manufacturing process] quality control deficient product. In most circumstances these faulty products would be destroyed [at least this is the theory].

I can only assume that some faulty balls have "slipped" through the QC procedure - add the number of global makers, to the number of ball models made, to the quantities made annually and it makes common sense based simply on the law of averages that this is very possible - rare but possible.

However - it is also possible [and just a personal assumption] that not all makers formalise the "scrapping" process of non compliant balls...at least there is no standard for the procedure that I know of. Some faulty [either/or oversized, out of round, weight distorted etc, etc] balls then may well end up in the hands of small dealers who in turn ship these outside the US [maybe] to markets that are regarded as "soft" targets.

In any event - whilst all the above is simply my view - and I will get some substance for you in a few days [I'm on the road for a while Andrew so please cut me some slack with a response time - could be a week or so] - let me say that NO ball maker I can think of would want any product not ABC/WIBC compliant to slip through into the hands of any bowlers.

This is NOT what you would call "welcome PR".

More on this when I can.

Steve Jones

Steve,

Thank you for your help. Good to hear from someone that actually has something to do with a major company in this regard.

I shall wait patiently ;)

Oversized Ball

In 1989, bowling in the NZ Inter District Championships my Ebonite Black Thunderbolt was judged to be oversize and have too much side weight, that ball was weighed in 2 different centres after drilling and passed on both occassions, neither centre had a measuring ring, yet the ball failed at the Championships!

I drilled some more side out of the ball and put it in the fridge over night, it passed the following day.

At the 1992 FIQ in Perth, my Brunswick Black Rhino Pro was judged as being oversize, again i put it in the fridge and it passed, i also remember that many of the X-Caliburs there were judged to be undersize at the tournament. I think they were put out in the sun to swell, maybe that's why they all cracked later on.

For what it's worth in the old days before reactives undersize balls tended to carry better, so many people used to sand their balls from new.

Would someone who was present at the ball weighing please explain to me the following..

Were the users of illegal balls penalised ?...
or did the owners of the illegal equipment all lose the previous match?

On another note...what the hell is the TBA doing ..even mentioning a rumor about a pro shop operator..It's grounds for libel.

No penalties were applied to any of the participants found to have illegal equipment.

It may have been possible that the balls which were deemed illegal were just sitting in the bags and had not been used in competition as of the inspection.

Before the Junior Nationals many of this States President Shield bowling equipment was checked, it was found that a couple of balls were oversize, I got both of these balls into the shop and checked them with my rings, one was OK and the other was tight.

In the case of both balls, if I turned the ball and placed the rings in a different place they were OK, turning them again they were not, meaning the balls were out of shape and not necessarily oversize. We resurfaced one of the balls to appease the powers to be, and left the other alone.

Both balls were from different manufacturers and it not important as to which one they were. I am sure that ball manufacturers have quality controls in place that are efficient enough. But be aware that heat will affect the size of the ball, age and wear will affect the shape, putting your ball in the boot of your car on a hot day will affect the size and hardness of your ball etc.

And simply bowling with the ball will affect the hardness of the ball, especially if it is a reactive or particle ball, as these balls rely on creating friction, and friction creates heat. Try placing a durometer on a ball after you have bowled a game or two with it, and I am sure you will find the ball comes under the minimum 72 hardness rule.

However if we check that same ball before you bowl, we would find it to be OK.

My argument is this, that the majority of proshops in Australia do not have rings or durometers for testing the size and hardness of bowling balls, in Victoria I am one of maybe 2 or 3 people that have rings and a durometer, I do check balls at random for size and durometer hardness, but mainly for curiosity. And understand that proshop's rarely check for size or hardness, as this is part of the Quality Control of the manufacturer.

During the Asian Schools Games in 2002, we checked for static weight and little else, this was the recommendation of the WTBA/ASF technical delegate, we did check for approved balls as of that date, as some were checked in that were under the approved date.

We checked 500 plus balls for that tournament, and although we found some to be illeagal, no-one was penalised because competition had not started yet, any errors were corrected and rechecked again.

Personally I don't place a great deal of importance on the size of the ball or hardness of the ball, whether or not someone bowls well depends mainly on the bowler, but also the dynamic properties & friction characteristics of the ball, and more importantly the lane pattern and condition of the lane. Rather than us believing that the size or hardness, and even the static balance of the ball is why we score high.

The TBA acknowledge that the bowlers were not at fault, and chose to not penalise them, because this is a grey area in equipment checks, we realise we need to be tolerent with checking equipment for these specifications, and I wholeheartedly agree. Make them aware of the problem, give them a warning or yellow card them, but I don't see any justification for disqualification.

I understand that we need to have rules, and the specifications of the ball are part of that rule, but we need to be tolerant with how we deal with infringments to that rule.

Many years ago we believed that maximum side weight and finger weight was the most advantage we could have with a ball, and putting an extra 1 ounce would give us more of an advantage, we all bowled with 16lb balls because we thought that the heavier the better, eventually some of us tried and tested this theory but realised this was not true. Drilling the ball to suit our technique, and it was simply the way we bowled that made us better than one another.

We still check equipment with that old age mentality, we still believe bowlers put lead in their bowling balls, and use MEK to soften the hardness of the shell. Well we don't need to do that anymore, the surface friction as well as the dynamic properties of the modern balls exceed the limits we set back then, you can now simply buy a hook in a box.

We need to ask was the bowler clearly trying to gain an advantage with having:

1. An oversize ball
2. Finger inserts sitting above the surface of the ball by a millimetre
3. A ball with a softer hardness because of wear
4. A 1/8 ounce of extra static weight
5. A ball slightly out of roundness
6. Too much cracking around the holes

The list goes on.

The six pound balls Philby mentioned are not unusual, light weight balls go out of round because bowlers throw them half way down the lane and this creates enourmous damage to the coverstock and the shape, eventually they have to be thrown out. However it is unlikely that someone will bowl a 300 game with one.

The warning to all bowlers that compete in tournaments or league, have your equipment checked for legality, it will make you feel better knowing there is no problem with your equipment. And it will make the ball driller happy knowing that when you bowl a high game the ball is OK, and not be embarassed knowing they drilled the ball and someone half way across the country found it to be non compliant.

Hope this gives everyone another view of the question, and again I must apologise for the long post.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

Hmm...

Very interesting topic...I read in one response that by placing the ball in the fridge overnight that it shrunk enough to be deemed legal. Given the effect that heat and humidity can have on a ball, it should be interesting to see how the balls measure up at the adult nationals in Townsville... I dare say that the cafe's fridge will be in high demand over the 3 weeks. :shock: :shock:

bert

Good call Bert but my question is will our equipment be checken at the nationals? Now i have new balls that have been drilled by the drill sheets is their any way these could have a problem? It is something to check before we go up their!

This may be a dumb question, but if the size of the ball is influenced by the temperature of the ball to the extent that it is legal when cold and illegal when warm, is there anything in the rule book that says that the ball size must be measured when the ball is at a certain temperature ????

Maybe the good ol' esky will come in handy a a replacement to the bowling bag !!!

All tournament entry forms have a clause in the conditions section stating that random checks can be done to bowlers equipment at any time, in many cases disqualification, confiscation or some other penalty is imposed.

It is up to the bowler to ensure that the equipment they purchase from any proshop is legal, because in the end the bowler will be penalised and not any one else. Always make sure you have your ball drilled by a reputable proshop who can measure and weigh the ball in front of you, they should be able to explain the process for you so you will understand.

Having a ball drilled by the specifications outlined in the drilling sheet that comes with the ball, has no bearing on whether it is legal or not. A ball should always be weighed after drilling to ensure it meets the required specifications for a legal ball that can be used in all sanctioned competition.

As far as using rings or a durometer is concerned, the ideal situation is that the temperture of the room should be around 68 - 74 degrees farenheit (20 - 22 C) if you are checking the ball for hardness, and this is done in 6 points of the ball surface. It is also stated that a ball should not be smaller than 26.704 inches or larger than 27.002 inches, the use of sizing rings is used for this purpose, there is no mention of room or ball temperture although commonsense says that room temperture should be normal and the ball has not just come out of the hot boot of the car or the ball polisher.

As mentioned in a previous post, I don't place a great deal of importance on the rules governing the checking of balls for hardness or size.

As mentioned before, if you are a competition bowler that bowls in a sanctioned TBA league or tournament, make sure your equipment is legal, there are over 160 proshops in this country, go in to one and ask to have your equipment checked before it's too late.

These are not new rules, they have been around for decades, and you should become familiar with them.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

Back
Top Bottom