Is your equipement LEGAL??????????

hmmmmmm. So not only are the checks random, the standard measurements are as well... Interesting...:rolleyes:

I was Bowling for years with a ball that was constantly getting stuck down the back and the ball return wouldn't pick it up to return it.(its Very Frustrating)
I asked many house mechanics here at Morwell and got the same answer THE MACHINES NEED CLEANING or THE ARE GETTING A BIT WORN or THEY NEED ADJUSTING etc.
I had some time off from bowling due to illness and returned recently to find a new Mechanic on board.
Yeap my ball got stuck constantly down the back end .
The New Mechanic picked my ball up and pushed a metal ring over to indicate to me the ball was ILLEGALLY undersized????
I recently showed the ball to Someone at Moorabbin the ball didn't go though there ring making it a legal ball.
Does this mean if I bowled a 300 game here it wouldn't count but if I rolled a 300 at Moorabbin it would count??????????????????

I could be wrong but I don't know of anyone that's been knocked back an honour score because of ball size.. at least not for a long time. These days anyway, it just doesn't seem to get checked very often. But yes technically, what you say could be true. Anyone had their ball checked with a durometer for surface hardness lately? lol.

Anyway, at the end of the day, an undersize ball handicaps you.. so if you shoot an honour score with small balls, then good luck to you.

Rachuig bowlers this year are required to submit details of the specs of their balls. 6 Balls allowed and the paperwork must go to the tournament room prior to competition.

TBA have stated that there will be a random check each day and any violation will incurr a penalty. (Refer Technical handbook)

De Veer Bowlers - no requirement.
(Funny that - All that effort spent trying to eliminate sandbagging, but we'll ignore the balls..)

Rachuig bowlers this year are required to submit details of the specs of their balls. 6 Balls allowed and the paperwork must go to the tournament room prior to competition.
TBA have stated that there will be a random check each day and any violation will incurr a penalty. (Refer Technical handbook)
(Funny that - All that effort spent trying to eliminate sandbagging, but we'll ignore the balls..)

Andrew, does this submission actually have to include static/gross weights, etc? Because every time I've ever had to (or any other driller or player) submit one for myself or other bowlers, a tick was all that was required to "show" that they had been checked as legal. In which case it's no different to a driller verifying weights etc when it leaves the proshop.

I THINK YOU GUYS SHOULD JUST READ A BOOK ON WHAT YOU ARE SAYING ON THIS SUBJECT. WHAT WILLY SAID ABOUT WEIGHTS IS NOT CORRECT AND THERE IS ALOT OF BALLS OUT THERE THAT ARE NOT LEGAL.
THERE IS ALOT OF BALL DRILLERS THAT DONT KNOW HOW TO WEIGH A BALL.
THIS IS NOT THERE FAULT AS THE CENTERS HAVE JUST SAID YOU ARE GOING TO BE THE BALL DRILLER NOW AND IF THEY SAY NO THEY GET SACKED.
I THINK IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF THE BALL WEIGHT GO TO A DIFFERENT BALL DRILLER TO CONFIRM YOUR GEAR JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE

Yes I will clarify that Tim.

Bowlers only need to submit Type & Brand and the Serial Number.
There is a section on the form that is greyed out and entitled Tournament Team use. That section has 7 different columns for Gross Weight, Top Weight, Side Weight, Finger Weight, Thumb Weight, Hardness, Eligibility.

It also says only bowling balls that are included on the the ABC/WIBC Approved Bowling Ball list may be used in this competition.

ABC/WIBC list?

No recent balls are on that list, cos they went out of vogue in 2005. Perhaps they meant the USBC list!

Sumo

Yes in previous days of a time long ago all balls were checked prior to bowling in the major tournaments. If you bowled a 300 then the ball was checked again.
Also, on the PBA you had to register each ball before you could bowl and they placed a mill mark above the fingers. They also checked it before and after the days play, plus you are unable to adjust the surface whilst playing as well.

De Veer used to submit this, I believe that requirement went away at the meeting PC had with them all down in Melbourne 2004. Rachuig and Shield had to register up to six balls by serial number and random checks were done at the last two shield, and last years Rachuig. There was even a few at Junior Intercentre...

What is your definition of a little? 1/2 an ounce? and ounce? so if i drill the same ball stacked leverage then redrill it with something closer to the grip line (say 12 oclock) it isnt going to make any difference because side, thumb and finger weights make no difference? What is the point of changing a drilling, why dont we all bowl with label then?
http://www.brunswickbowling.com/product_videos
have a look at the videos on this site it might show you how much static weights mean these days levithian

How about this for an idea!!!!

As long as the ball weighs under 16 pounds, and the diameter of the ball is within restrictions.....Why not drill the ball anyway you want.....have no LAWS bar those too....sure would cut all the crap about 1/16 of ounce finger weight over....
If everyone could drill a ball with as much side weight as they wanted, or top weight or any other weight, there would be no chance of anyone "getting an advantage"....everyone on the same page without having to weight any ball.

I mean come on, just because you have a ball with a little more side weight than the law says does not mean you will win the event at all..... The best bowler will always win.
Bowling is a simply game....stand behind the line, throw a ball down, hit 10 pins over and do it again. But today there are so many rules that make it complex......like all things, any sport is perfect in its purest form.

Then it would get to a point where the diameter is 1/16th of a millimetre too small or 1/16th of an ounce too heavy :p :p

Bowling hasn't been a sport in it's purest form for so long now... It needs rules like never before. A 1/2 oz of weight makes a real difference if you remove it with a balance hole, thus making a new mass bias.

Also don't confuse "purest form" with "most basic form". Even if we go back to rubber balls and lacquer lanes (not gonna happen), the "sport" bit happens behind the foul line. (Swing, timing, footwork and release.) The rest is Physics. The trouble with bowling is that we've replaced too much of the sport with physics. (Balls, weight blocks, bouncy pins and blocked lanes.) That's why many people walked away.

I agree that we do need rules in the sport to keep things fair. All I'm saying is that with each rule, there's always going to be a technicality and, therefore, problems with leeway (talk to Gus Gould about what he thinks about the knock-on rule).

By the way, I meant that quote as a joke based on what others have said. I'm sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

In SA the 2005 Youth Team Challenge required all balls to be used by bowlers during the Tournament to be checked and verified that they were legal prior to bowling in the tournament. Ball registration forms were required to be completed and available to the Tournament Team. Random checks were also made during the Course of the tournament. This follows a rather disasterous 2004 Tournament when random balls checks found illegal balls resulting in lost medals and placings for the youth bowlers.

My family has a policy of getting all balls checked prior to the Nationals which I have done again this year. A ball registration form has been completed and I will have this with me even if not officially required. Its surely better to be safe than sorry.

My family has a policy of getting all balls checked prior to the Nationals which I have done again this year. A ball registration form has been completed and I will have this with me even if not officially required. Its surely better to be safe than sorry.
Good thinking. We have advised all SQ De Veer bowlers to have their equipment checked prior to going down. Even if not officially required it is as you say, better to be safe than sorry.

Rats Andrew, I have let the cat out of the bag. Maybe I should have just asked for ball checks for the SQ team. - just kidding. Look forward to bowling against you in a couple of weeks. At least we know we will have legal balls. Just got to get the mind straight and remember its a simple game!!!!.... so they keep telling me.

Actually the SQ Team is too busy training at the moment. Some of them haven't bowled a 300 game in weeks.

Back
Top Bottom