Is your equipement LEGAL??????????

hamster

Just a Bowler
I was just going over the entry form for the Queensland Cup and going thru the rules and recalled an incident that happen in the Koolfoam Cup a few years back at Cannonhill where a bowler rolled a 300 and had their ball checked. Two sources deem it illegal in which the bowler replied that the scales where broken . He continued to bowl in the Cup but i don't recall if he used that ball again.
I was wanting to know if anyone has had their equipement checked while they have been competing in a local/state or national event? It's just i've competed in a few events over the last few years and haven't recalled once that someone has had their gear checked.
Is it just a rule written on the entry form hoping that everyone is a law abiding citenzen or only checked when someone bowls a perfect game?

What's really stopping anyone from getting an unfair advantage?
Hamster
Tony Hamilton

You have a good point here Gerbal. The only time i've had my balls checked is when i have bowled a 300. My balls are weighed and checked after they have been drilled. Whos to say that if you know how to drill your balls yourself that you cant add illegial sideweight. I think when you check in your balls should be weighed and should be cleared to bowl. Oh and congrats on your 300 on sunday, well bowled.

Your right!!!!

I have often thought why stuff isn't checked. some tournaments in the U.S they check all your stuff at check-in.

It needs to be done over here, at big events like the Super Six series. and at other major events. Bowling is becoming a very competitive sport and people are starting to drill there own stuff etc... and there needs to be checks done. 8)

I know at Junior Nationals (and possible Adult too) they do random ball checks/drug checks during President Shield.

The chances are pretty slim of actually getting picked, but its still there. As far as the ranked tournaments go, I don't recall them having a single ball check so your right on the mark there.

If every person that bowled in a tournament got there balls checked wouldnt it take alot of time? Maybe in huge tournaments where theres a cut off they should get there balls checked and if its illegal and they bowled with it then they can be disqualified or something.

Whos to say that if you know how to drill your balls yourself that you cant add illegial sideweight.

Why would you want to run the risk of cheating with the off chance of getting caught?

I know competitors in all sports do (eg. cycling at the moment) but I cant for the life of me figure out why someone would.

Rob

I remember the South Pacific Classic used to have a COMPULSORY ball check in, I think you were allowed 6 balls max and it was done at the beginning before your first squad .......but then I am going back a few years !

I can remember back far enough when there were events where you had to drop your equipment off to be checked days before the event. Even when junior tournaments used to have a similar rule reguarding masters events. I dont know if the problem is a thing of time or experience, it isnt like anyone can just walk up and do it.

Edit: Just on the rule of illegal gear, is it an auto DQ or is pincount removed for each game the ball was used?

Prior to Walter De Veer (and I believe Rachiug) last year we were required to have a registration form signed off for each of the balls we were going to use. This included a check on the legality of the ball.
During the tournament there was a random check.
This is the only time I have seen a check on equipment.

Graeme

why check every bowler's equipment? why not just make it anyone who earns a ranking's point / or cash's

if they drill it illegal and bowl bad - sucked in to them, why waste any more time on them?

just a thought

This year at Junior Nationals ALL balls used by bowlers bowling at Shield must be checked and registered before nats.

The PBA has an "interesting" way of handling this. They do randoms, and if you are caught, the penalty structure is as follows:

1 illegal ball - $500 fine
2 illegal balls - $1000 fine
3 illegal balls - $2000 fine AND THEN they disqualify you

So you dont cash, but they do!!!!

Could be an interesting system for the TBA to adopt. Another source of revenue at least :lol:

As it has been said last year to be able to bowl in the DeVeer or the Rachuig You had to have you equipment checked and a form completed with the ball weights and the serial numbers from the balls you would be using at the Nationals. It's only a matter of getting you local pro shop to check them over and who knows if you get a good one they don't even charge you for it. It is also good practice that after you have a new ball drilled that the ball driller checks it for legality. If you drill your gear yourself then you should get it checked by another pro shop just to be on the safe side. I had my gear checked before the Nationals last year by three different pro shops just to be sure.

If anyone is actually bowling with illegal equipment it's probably due to the fact they don't know what thier doing, if they are drilling thier own balls, or thier ball driller is slack or does'nt know what they are doing.
Not that it can give anyone an advantage, with todays exotic drillings a little extra finger weight or extra side weight has no significant effect to ball reaction or pinfall, most probably has a negative effect. So more than likely a mistake has been made if the weights are out, but if the ball does not pass the hardnest test than you can have an advantage, but this is not required when testing for 300's etc.
willey.

What is your definition of a little? 1/2 an ounce? and ounce? so if i drill the same ball stacked leverage then redrill it with something closer to the grip line (say 12 oclock) it isnt going to make any difference because side, thumb and finger weights make no difference? What is the point of changing a drilling, why dont we all bowl with label then?

The balls are only drilled to create wobble and set the break point, you can have so much side weight that the ball will turn over about the time it hits the cushion, totally useless and it won't hit for shit . There is enough exotic drilling options to set the balls to what ever is required without being illegal. So let me state again if they are illegal, they don't know what they are doing or they think they know what they are doing, but if it is under the hardnest test somehow it has probably been tampered with than you have an advantage, but we do not test hardness when checking for 300 games etc.
willey.

I was Bowling for years with a ball that was constantly getting stuck down the back and the ball return wouldn't pick it up to return it.(its Very Frustrating)
I asked many house mechanics here at Morwell and got the same answer THE MACHINES NEED CLEANING or THE ARE GETTING A BIT WORN or THEY NEED ADJUSTING etc.
I had some time off from bowling due to illness and returned recently to find a new Mechanic on board.
Yeap my ball got stuck constantly down the back end .
The New Mechanic picked my ball up and pushed a metal ring over to indicate to me the ball was ILLEGALLY undersized????
I recently showed the ball to Someone at Moorabbin the ball didn't go though there ring making it a legal ball.
Does this mean if I bowled a 300 game here it wouldn't count but if I rolled a 300 at Moorabbin it would count??????????????????

Back
Top Bottom