Votes: 8 14.0%
  • 3 Boards Left

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 4 Boards Left

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • 5+ Boards Left

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters
Mate I have known George for ages.....and I still laugh when he uses that line......

2 boards right when l'm playing my comfort zone. Generally pretty consistent so l don't worry to much.

I still stand by comments too, if I move 2 left and it doesnt work and I go back to where I originally started I have in fact moved 4 boards ;) No one ever specifies that the direction of movement has to be in the same direction.

You right handers dont just get the 'high intelligence' of us lefties...... Ask Lovell, prime example :)

That's why I drink espresso. So much less to spill...

More high, than intelligence going on there!

On that logic, I must move about 15 boards every shot! :D

As Jason wrote in his post, the amount of drift changes in regards to what angles I'm trying to achieve. I'm honestly such a feel player that I simply don't bother trying to work it out anymore. When I was learning it was a useful tool for making basic adjustments, but as I wrote in the wrist guard topic, my adjustments are generally no longer 2 and 1 left. It's 2 and 1, while getting a touch more rotation and loft.

It may be an area of my game where I should pay more attention, or it may not... Who knows?

Cow

The interesting thing is that when I learnt to bowl we were taught to walk straight, 20 to 20 board for instance
to ensure we were accurate
Therefore we looked at drift as error IE: start on 20 finish on 23 when we wanted to finish on 20 = 3 board drift

Also as Cow and Jason have said it is difficult to consider drift being intentional IE: If We start on 20 and want to
finish on 25 to open your shot to create angle, and you finish on 25 then drift = 0 boards

So from my view drift has always been error, not intention

Also some people do drift but providing they do it the same each time it is not necessarily wrong
Geoff

It seems to me that it doesn't really matter where you start, comparitively to where you finish, at the moment of release.

So, if naturally you drift a few boards one way or the other and you let nature take it's course, it's not 'contrived', and not something you need to conciously control during your approach.

Therefore if you do the same thing consistantly it must be an advantage to just 'let it happen'.

It certainly doesn't affect your adjustments, either George's 4?? boards, or someone else's 10, because any adjustment to your foot starting position is, in fact, really an adjustment to your finish position.

Interesting read Jason.

Bizarre that the illustrations are not the same person all the way through, they even change to a left hander.

Interesting read Jason.

Bizarre that the illustrations are not the same person all the way through, they even change to a left hander.
Those shots would be of Chris Barnes, Tommy Jones and Jason Couch. I'm guessing the Ebonite boys were in town brushing up on a thing or two...
I drift 22 boards left from my starting position to the end of my approach
Wow! I dare say that's in the category of "too far". Once you walk that far, you're going to have trouble maintaining a straight swing, as your body will exert a significant lateral force on it. Handy for playing 6th arrow though! You can walk right around the ball return! :)

"Its just a jump to the left :)

Hope you never get put on lanes 1 and 2 in most centres....

I Lol'ed.

Incidentally I used to have a zero drift, but sometime in the recent past a 1 board drift left has snuck in and entrenched itself, But that's ok, cos I rarely have to walk around a ball return............

Usually I stand between 5 and 10 board and drift to 27-30 but when I need to hook it a bit or the lanes are very dry, I sometimes do that... stand on 30,31 board to do it though:) Does anyone know of a good drill or something to get rid of drift?

I start and end on the same board, that doesnt mean that I dont drift however. I would go 3 boards to the left to allow for my swing plane and then finish back on the same board as my swing came through past my ankle.

I start and end on the same board, that doesnt mean that I dont drift however. I would go 3 boards to the left to allow for my swing plane and then finish back on the same board as my swing came through past my ankle.

With 40 Squillion revs on your ball who cares about drift n e ways ... LOL ...:D

Back
Top Bottom