Votes: 8 14.0%
  • 3 Boards Left

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • 4 Boards Left

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • 5+ Boards Left

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters
Coaching a lady the other week I discovered she drifted 5 boards to the right (furtherest Ive seen)
I stared to take notice of some of the more experienced bowlers in the centre to find one of our higher average bowlers a right hander drifts 5+ boards to the left
I myself drift 2 to the right
I'm curious to see what others drift

I try to get my approach to be as straight as possible. I used to drift +5 boards to the right. I know I still drift a little, I reckon about 2 boards is all I drift nowadays...

It is fairly common for right handers, typically crankers who like to throw coast to coast, to drift a number of boards to the left...

G'Day,

You don't have the option for zero.

I think the other question might be what your intended drift on the approach is. Example walking to your target delivery point for corner pins.

G'Day,

You don't have the option for zero.

I think the other question might be what your intended drift on the approach is. Example walking to your target delivery point for corner pins.

And that is why the Roman Numerals system failed...

As for the drifting question, I have no idea. Haven't paid any real attention to it for a while. I'd assume 2-4 left.

Cow

I'd suggest people drift a lot further than they think.

I will have a look next time.

I used to drift 10+ left I actually used to start off my approach by stepping left 5 boards, but Dousty advised me if I could straighten up I would become more consistent, He was right especially when throwing at spares. Thanks Dousty.

Want ultimate drifting....watch Carl Bottomly.

Could watch him bowl all day long.

I drift about 5 board. Used to move alot more...maube 10 board. Back when I use to crank it majorly

And that is why the Roman Numerals system failed...

As for the drifting question, I have no idea. Haven't paid any real attention to it for a while. I'd assume 2-4 left.

Cow
Good point from Cow. Especially about Roman numerals. Caused them a lot of grief around 2 B.C.E. when the "Year 0 Bug" reared it's ugly head. :D But at least they gave us our "X" for ten on the first shot! (Which also gave them a basis for decimation; Those wacky Romans!)

How far you drift isn't as important as consistency and WHERE you drift. Some folks walk away from the ball and end up with a big gap between the ball and their sliding foot, resulting in a loss of leverage and resultant power.

I drift 4 boards left, but have a big step right in the slide, giving me a solid leverage point where I need it. 4 boards is when I'm in my comfort zone around the track. If I'm playing straight up the edge (or even right to left) I drift 5-6 left. If I'm playing coast to coast, I may end up on the same board I start on. It's a question of target angle affecting approach direction. And this is where I pick up on Cow again. Drift (and Ritger personal numbers) can vary in the extreme angles. Take this into account if you're making an arithmetic calculation. Otherwise, move and adjust as normal.

I used to drift 10+ left I actually used to start off my approach by stepping left 5 boards, but Dousty advised me if I could straighten up I would become more consistent, He was right especially when throwing at spares. Thanks Dousty.
You're very welcome Neil! (Coaching from a basis of personal experience there!)

I think anyone who claims that is fooling themselves

Hey Chin,

I look at it this way, if your drift is same every shot, then you are not really drifting as it is the same every time.

But if one shot you drift zero the next you drift a few boards to the Right, then the next a few to the left. Well you have a problem.

But if you do the same thing every shot, who cares it's zero because you end up where you intended to be.

So the drift should be measured over a number of shots, not just one shot. Because you may just get it right on target the one time you checked.

So, one shot is zero the next might be one left the next one right. So throughout a game I may have had a drift of 2 boards best to worst. Nobody can expect to be perfect, the same way as I rarely hit my target more than once or twice in a row, it is always a board here or a board there. Walking with a ball swinging from one arm is always going to make a difference to where you finish, it is not a natural action. If your timing is bad, well there is no way you will walk straight.

This is what makes us human and why it is called human error. I will not even start on the topic of what we think we see and what is really happening.

I've met quite a few people over the years who finish on the same board they start. Some quite good, some not so good. But they could do that.

I will not even start on the topic of what we think we see and what is really happening.

Oh God! Can of Worms! You'll find out denial is not just a river in Egypt if that gets legs! :)

Good point John on what we think we see or what is actually happening.

I didnt realise my back swing was as high as it is (seen on film now and its not as high as some) i certainly thought it was shorter than it is. Ive worked on that and feel a lot more stable at the foul line, speed is more suited to my shot and 3 x 800 (4 games) in a row has proven some improvement.

But agree with Jason... that is another can of worms with potential for a firey responce.

I drift 1 left but I do it consistantly so its no issue which is the key, you cant make accurate adjustments if youre not consistant. Biggest drifter I've seen, Tore Torgeson from Norway, has to be in the +15 catergory...

I drift 1 left but I do it consistantly so its no issue which is the key, you cant make accurate adjustments if youre not consistant. Biggest drifter I've seen, Tore Torgeson from Norway, has to be in the +15 catergory...

Mate is that what you class as your 2 board move (1 drift left and the drift back 1 right) :D

Ted Hannahs springs to mind as well George. I remember Chris Schenckel commenting that if he walked like that on the footpath (ok, he said sidewalk) he'd be arrested! Ted Hannahs won a few PBA events and was one of the best clutch players I've ever seen. Must have drifted 10-15 left at a guess. It's not textbook, but who's seen the textbook bowl lately?

Don't you love how George keeps a dead straight face in his "Two boards left, two boards right for the weekend = four boards move" routine, Dale? Beware righties, he's winding you up! George is a masterful winder too! One of his endearing qualities. :)

Back
Top Bottom