How do I turn my ball?

R

ratter

This is probably going to be a pretty obvious question to most of you guys, but I need some help.

Just stepped up from plastic to a reactive ball last week, I purchased a 14 lb ebonite smashtime pearl from Tonx (thanks for the great deal) It has been drilled fingertip ( a first for me) and also has a thumb slug.

No I know the ball turns because if I bowl it with no thumb in the ball I can turn it heaps, but I want to bowl with my thumb in the ball as I can aim better.
I have used it for 10 practice games and are not having much luck in turning it.
I have tried my wrist in all sorts of different angles and tried turing it on the way through and the only thing I have really achived is a little drift from the bowled line ocassionally and a sore forearm.
I realise the forearm soreness is only the muscles get used to the new weighted movement (I used you train weights)
I have even been watching some film clips to see what others do.

I'm after some online help possibly with pictures or even some instructions from you guys.

Also while I'm asking how do I go about finding some coaching in my area (Frankston Vic) and what sort of prices should I expect to pay?

Yeah I believe there is a skill and a technique to hooking a ball that needs to be practiced.
Has the ball been drilled to your hand?.
If not thats the first place to start get someone to look at the ball setup.
My suggestion would be Patrick Birtig [[email protected]]he is at Moorabbin Bowl (or someone at your local pro shop should be able to help).
The second suggestion is to get some coaching to be taught the basics if spin bowling.
There are a few coaches around.
In the Frankston area I would shoot Christopher Mesagno [[email protected]] an email or talk to Patrick.
I was in the same position a while ago (and sort of still am)
I bought 2 reactive balls got them drilled then at league expected a big hook but it didn't happen.
As I said a technique that has to be learned and practiced.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Yes the ball was drilled to suit my hand as it is a new ball.

I wasn't expecting to go out right away and to be able to spin the ball, but was hoping my form could change quickly to see it happen, maybe I'm being impatient. I thought I would get as much advice as possible to get me started on the correct path to do it asap

definatley get onto a coach asap mate, there are alot of 'wrong' ways to release the ball, i have no idea where Langwarrin is but someone will be able to point you in the right direction of a coach.

if you get stuck into a bad release habit early, its much much harder to change than if you do it properly from the start!
good luck!

theres also a really great artcile thats been linked to on here about it, ill have a look now and let you know if i can find it again.

definatley get onto a coach asap mate, there are alot of 'wrong' ways to release the ball, i have no idea where Langwarrin is but someone will be able to point you in the right direction of a coach.
if you get stuck into a bad release habit early, its much much harder to change than if you do it properly from the start!
good luck!
theres also a really great artcile thats been linked to on here about it, ill have a look now and let you know if i can find it again.

Thanks for the advice, the link would be greatly appreciated

Yes, this is a basic question. It's also a good question to ask, as so many folks go about it the wrong way. Balls do not turn by themselves quite yet. Ball hook is a function of hand motion x ball dynamic x lane friction. If hand motion is zero (or a very small number), then the result is a pretty small number too.

So, what to do? I’ll try to keep this simple. Firstly, avoid using the word "spin". "Hook" is the correct term. Hook is made up of wrist turn and finger lift. Here a shopping list of things you need to know.

Wrist turn.
Keep your arm behind the ball (the inside of your elbow stays facing upward.)
Only turn your wrist.
Put your arm in front of you and try this out while watching it.
You’ll get the idea and the feeling pretty quickly.
The advantage of learning this is that you can learn not to overturn the ball.
Hint – Do not commence turning your wrist until after the ball has passed the thigh of your non-sliding foot.

Finger lift
After your thumb leaves the thumb hole, you have a limited period in which to apply finger lift.
This is simply closing your fingers (resisting the weight of the ball) as you rotate.

It’s all one smooth action. Yes, it will require practice and good instruction and a bit of hand-holding by a coach will help.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Jason

Thank you for the replys and the PM's I have recieved.
I also have recieved offers of physical help at the lanes from 3 local bowlers that are members here and actually spent some time with 2 of them yesterday, I'm more than happy to thank them by name, but as they offered help by PM I will not show their forum names (unless they say it is ok).

I have a lot of faults in my style, as do a lot of beginners and these guys were a great help and have slowed my style right down to correct some faults and to stop me from muscling the ball. Although I'm not hooking the ball as yet, I'm now getting the correct spin (rotation) on the ball as it goes down the lane (most the time) and I'm sure with some more pointers and lots of practice I'll be hooking in the next coming months

Thanks Guys

Mick

Gidday i am a level one coach and have been working with and learning from wayne parlby ( high performance ) at ed fleming lanes for the past two years, my advice is to seek out a coach who can give you the basics of ball release , give you some hints and tricks to do at home and not mess around with your natural style.

Coaching will be happening shortly, but I'm getting married in 5 weeks so most the money is going towards that.

I have allready been in contact with one coach and looks like he may be the way to go.

In my coaching course i was taught, have the thumb pointing at 10 oclock and the two fingers at 5 and 6 at release to hook the ball....but it has been ages since i did the course. Coach or an experienced player to show you would be the best option.

fingers between 4 and 5 is the way tba teaches at the moment,
I hope you're right handed for these numbers to work! If not, mirror them around.

Just as long as you don't start with them there. A "suitcase" release is pretty weak. Although not a bad place to start, it's a crummy place to finish.

Start with your fingers behind the ball at the top of the downswing (6 or even 7 o'clock). This puts the weight of the ball in the strong side of your hand. Then as the ball passes your hip (waaaaiiiittt....), rotate to 5 or 4 (or even 3 on some lanes!)

Maybe get the suitcase release down first then revisit this.

Cheers,
Jason

first time i've heard it called that but this if for a right hander if you are lefty its 7 and 8

for a right hander if you think of a clock with 12 o'clock pointing down the your fingers at release should be around where 4, 5 o'clock would be on the clock,
towards the pins

clock
11 1
10 2
4 fingers end
5 between here

with you wrist straight behind the ball, and fingers bent, not gripping the ball but bent. try to release it at your ankle

this isn't the most powerful method granted but it is good for beginners to get the consistancy required for the more advanced methods where you move your hand since if you don't move it the same amount everytime then the ball will react differently which normally causes bowlers to get annoyed and blame everything but themselves. Once you;'ve got this down most styles are a matter of altering this slightly which is wuite easy

the best thing to do is to find a coach and get him to show you the richter drills ( hope i spelt that right)

Im wondering if someone has a perfect (textbook) release on video (dartfish on other) in slow mo that could be posted here.
It seems to be a much asked question

Back
Top Bottom