4 step v 5 step approach ??

Lyndsay_Packer

StormNation
Toying with the idea of going from a 4 step approach to 5 step, apart from the obvious extra step and re working on my timing, just wondering if there is any advantage or disadvantage between the 2.

I got a bit of coaching through the week and the guy I saw said because of my size (being 7'1) the 5 step will give me a bit more time to deliver the ball properly rather than rushing it over 4 steps...worked on it a bit and it seemed to feel ok, bit awkward to start with obviously, but just wanting others view point, especially when I see alot of the top guys on 5 steps

Oh, Dear, What a bucket of worms this could be. If you have a specific problem, then that should be identified, and then that may or may not indicate that it could be addressed by modifing the approach. Otherwise just iron out any parts of what you do less than ideal, presently.
I have used 3, 4, and 5 steps with equally good and bad results, which leads me to believe it wasn't how many steps I took, but, from time to time how well I did the whole thing.

I went to a three step approach many, many years ago and bowled a high 6 game series, before urethane or reactives of 1526. In the same period, I probably threw a 150 average series also.
My theory was, that the less you did, the less to go wrong. At the other end ( 5 Step ) I changed to that , as I reasoned that the more steps the smoother one's approach would be. More flowing and rhythmic ? That worked too - as well as the 150s - 4 game 1054, with a 290 to start. 4 step again currently , best 749 for 3 - at age 73, a few years ago.
Summary - It's not the number of steps which governs how well you bowl.

Hi Lyndsay,

I use both. If I need a little more ball speed and rev I use five steps with a lower push away, it gives me a little more time to catch the ball at the bottom of the swing.

But more than anything, if my timing is a little out I go back to four step, just to make sure I catch the ball weight change with my first step.

I would take a look at an article Norm Duke has on timing, it puts it all into perspective and makes it really easy to understand. He makes a special mention about tall players. Down side you will need to buy his video. I have not seen it anywhere else.

Hi Lyndon,

I the Norm Duke examples of five step it is similar but a little more comfortable looking. In the five step approach, he pushes away on the first step and lands the ball weight to the right foot with the body weight to the right foot.

It takes a few goes, but it feels smooth when you get it right.

i have a 4 and a half step. my 1st step is actually a slide, and its only about 10 inches long, then i go 1,2,3,4 from there. Would be technically a 5 tho.

i went from 4 to 5 because i dont have a big slide and the extra step game me some momentum coming into the "explosion" point.

one problem I was having with my approach was every now and then I may step off too quick and the length of my 2nd step was a bit too long which sent me over the foul line on my 4th (mainly on wooden approaches with that bit extra slide)..whilst I know that I should just take half a step back...trying to work a way to eliminate that all together, what I was being told was 1st and 2nd should be short steps 3rd a long step (which is my 2nd and problem step off 4 step) and then 4th being short into the big 5th delivery step...

Interesting post there LP...

IMO there is enough to concentrate on in a bowlers approach that ensuring the length of steps goes short, short, long, short, long, slide might just be enough to create an issue with everything else.

Not to mention how does one define short and long? Obviously some will be longer than others but to pre-determine the steps could cause more harm than good.

I would take a look at an article Norm Duke has on timing, it puts it all into perspective and makes it really easy to understand. He makes a special mention about tall players. Down side you will need to buy his video. I have not seen it anywhere else.
As I've stated elsewhere, that video is worth ten times the price. Buy it anyway Lindsay.

At 7'1", you've got longer levers than most, so your timing is going to be slightly different to guys like me or guys who are shorter again. Shorter lever, shorter period of swing. Longer lever, longer period of swing. It's actually a lot more complex than that, but let's not get bogged down in physics when the principle will do in the rough.

So yes, you may need to slip another step or get an earlier pushaway in there to accommodate your longer period of swing. Alternately, hold the ball low, a la Charlie Tapp of 80's PBA fame. Probably worth a look at his form as a guy who uses his height / long lever chain to throw a bowling ball effortlessly, just fyi. Charlie Tapp Tribute - YouTube 5 Step approach, but using almost 4 step timing. Seems to push away at the very end of the first step, which makes sense for a guy his height.

Cheers,
Jason

Stretch would only have to take 2 steps to get to the foul line. Have you seen how tall that guy is, leg up to his .......
Cheers Lovey

I went from 4 to 5 steps about a year ago, works well for me at 6.1. (height) l find l have a little more time to get a smooth swing but as Jim said, a bad approach is a bad approach no matter how many steps you take. For a bigger bloke l think long term it is a better option. (5 steps)

You're welcome Lyndsay.

Stretch would only have to take 2 steps to get to the foul line. Have you seen how tall that guy is, leg up to his .......
Cheers Lovey

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln; Just as long as they reach the ground!

Back
Top Bottom