First 2 hander to bowl a 900 series

I'm with Steve Jones 100%. On second thoughts, that's probably not good enough to-day. I'm with Steve Jones 300 & 900%. That's better !!
Jim.

April 12th 2012...

[video=youtube;X0_KJ6TlOSU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0_KJ6TlOSU[/video]

USBC-Approved 900 Series (21)
Jeremy Sonnenfeld (R), Lincoln, Neb., Feb. 2, 1997
Tony Roventini (L), Greenfield, Wis., Nov. 9, 1998
Vince Wood (R), Moreno Valley, Calif., Sept, 29, 1999
Robby Portalatin (L), Jackson, Mich., Dec. 28, 2000
James Hylton (R), Salem, Ore., May 2, 2001
Jeff Campbell II (R), New Castle, Pa., June 12, 2004
Darin Pomije (R), New Prague, Minn., Dec. 9, 2004
Robert Mushtare (R), Fort Drum, N.Y., Dec. 5, 2005 and Feb. 19, 2006
Lonnie Billiter Jr. (R), Fairfield, Ohio, Feb. 13, 2006
Mark Wukoman (R), Greenfield, Wis., April 22, 2006
P.J. Giesfeldt (R), Milwaukee, Dec. 23, 2006
Rich Jerome Jr. (R), Baltimore, Dec. 22, 2008
Chris Aker (L), Winnemucca, Nev., Oct. 30, 2009
Andrew Teall (R), Medford, N.J., Nov. 2, 2009
Andrew Mank (R), Bellevue Ill., March 18, 2010
William Howell III (L), Middletown, N.Y., Oct. 21, 2010
Matt Latarski (R), Medina, Ohio, Nov. 28, 2010
Bob Kammer Jr. (R), Crown Point, Ind., Jan. 8, 2011
John Martorella Sr. (R), Greece, N.Y., April 12, 2012**
Jimmy Schmitzer (R), Riverside, Calif., April 20, 2012**

Those known to have unsanctioned 900s were:
Leo Bentley Lorain, Ohio March 26, 1931
Joe Sargent Rochester, N.Y. 1934
Jim Murgie Philadelphia, Pa. Feb. 4, 1937
Bob Brown Roseville, Calif. April 12, 1980
Glenn Allison LaHabra, Calif. July 1, 1982 (ABC turned down due to lane conditions)
John Strausbaugh York, Pa. July 11, 1987

Scores for three consecutive perfect games have been approved on two other occasions:
During a December 1993 tournament, Troy Ockerman, Owosso, Mich., blasted four 300 games - all on the same day. Three of those games, covering two different events, were consecutive. His string of at least 36 in-a-row ties him for the men's record for the most consecutive strikes.

Also sharing the 36 in-a-row record is professional bowler Norm Duke. During an April 1996 PBA tournament held in North Brunswick, N.J. Duke had three consecutive perfect games. His effort was over the course of two squads and not in a single series.

Unfortunately over the last few years on TB it has become more popular to focus on the negative aspect of peoples acheivments. Is it any wonder bowling is in the toilet.
You can't modify or amend or fix a situation, without making known that you disagree with it, which may involve being critical of it. Were there no critics, many if not most things and situations would remain static.

Now it's up to you all to decide if this is an arguement to go back to laquered wooden lanes and black rubber balls, ( Remaining static, with a high degree of difficulty and ignoring the then critics), or continue to improve the equipment and conditions so that anyone can score like pros whenever they like, (with almost no degree of difficulty and ignoring the current critics.)

You choose which would have the longer life.

Thats because you havent bowled one.

I should hope not! I'm nowhere near good enough to bowl a 900 series! But then again, I don't bowl on a massive ditch that guides my bowling ball to the pocket, whether I hit my target or not!

Androo,

Just had a closer look at the score board at the end of that video

First Screen

Second Screen

Yet with all those games, only 2 bowlers managed to spare 100% excluding the 300.

Interesting. Isn't it.

Amazing that it wasnt until the introduction of reactive balls that the USBC started regognizing 900 series.

1997 the 1st recognized 900 series. 21 in 15 years.
Found site that said 113,000 lanes in the US in 2005.
Average 10 games a day in league over 15 years.

6,186,750,000 games.

63 games of which have been involved in sanctioned 900 series. 0.000001018%

No wonder the game is a joke.

My Bad.

Didn't see anyone complaining about two in a week back here...

Chris Aker (L), Winnemucca, Nev., Oct. 30, 2009
Andrew Teall (R), Medford, N.J., Nov. 2, 2009

=\... So what after two and a half years its been done again; get over it.................. Its a 900 series; it was bowled; using bowling balls on the market, and in a league.. I can't see the problem..

Congrats to Jimmy.

Also something else which I'm trying to get my head around (regarding reactive/cheat balls).. Mark Roth plastic ball championships; Belmo averaged 227.17 in the top 32; Belmo's average over the 13 events he has played is 226.42... Why isn't he averaging a much higher average as he using reactive/'cheater balls' in every other tournament?

=\... So what after two and a half years its been done again; get over it.................. Its a 900 series; it was bowled; using bowling balls on the market, and in a league.. I can't see the problem..

Congrats to Jimmy.

Also something else which I'm trying to get my head around (regarding reactive/cheat balls).. Mark Roth plastic ball championships; Belmo averaged 227.17 in the top 32; Belmo's average over the 13 events he has played is 226.42... Why isn't he averaging a much higher average as he using reactive/'cheater balls' in every other tournament?

I never mentioned bowling balls...

Whens the last time anyone with the negative posts has walked into league or a tournament and said this is a ditch or to easy and put your balls in your bag and walked out.

Nevaaaaaaaaa.

The guys had to carry 36 times in a 4 or 5 man league. Im sure he had to makes adjustments over 2- 3 hours. Wonder if you would be as negative with the posts if someone bowled 900 at Rooty Hill.

Oh,

and Steve you dont count. They didnt have ditches 25 years ago, and ive never seen an easy Opening Ceremony pattern.

Mark Roth plastic ball championships; Belmo averaged 227.17 in the top 32; Belmo's average over the 13 events he has played is 226.42... Why isn't he averaging a much higher average as he using reactive/'cheater balls' in every other tournament?
Because Belmo generates so much power and rotation with his own talent that he doesn't need the gift of the cheating equipment... In fact I would hazard a guess that most of Belmos equipment is relatively tame, given the huge revs he generates - layouts designed for power or pinaction not flip like your standard house hack.

My guess, anyway.

"Tall Poppy Syndrome" comes to mind.

If ya cant beat em, ya put em down.

johnnybg

just my 2 cents of course

I think the guy deserves a lot of credit, he bowls 100 practice games a week and 7 leagues so he is paying his dues. Is it good for the sport?, personally I doubt it because it would be like someone getting 18 for 18 holes of golf and you would just laugh at that happening. Having said this it's certainly not the bowlers fault but the industries as they have allowed this to happen. A bowler turns up, pays his money and bowls, he doesn't or shouldn't have anything to do with the lane conditions - if he shoots 900 then so be it, that's bowling.
Lane conditions today where illegal years ago and then add reactive balls on top of that and you have a situation where someone could average 240 in league bowling every second week, that's 8 games a month to average the highest in their life - crazy game..... oh and I agree with Steve and we did have ditches back then, they just didn't suit everyone.

Do we still think the two handed game is not the way of the future? Belmo has really started something that is revolutionising bowling!

I'd give it ago (tried everything else) but at my age I'm not sure if my back would handle it all that well.

And I agree with the other 'posters' who say well done mate on your 900 series.

Sorry Amagill; only the top comment was in relation to what you said :)

As for Belmo; He was only one that I pulled out of the bunch; same goes for Sean Rash, Jason Couch, Ryan Ciminelli.. List goes on...

Rob [CHIN] - FYI patterns at Opening Ceremonies of new centres are irrelevant - what's relevant is how often the drink waiter comes by your table.

Wal - I'd advise against the 2 handed switch - I'd say your back will lose out.

Terry, an on the mark summary - the industry and the entity that oversees the industry [well if that's what it still does??] have a great deal to answer for in my view. Whilst there is no stopping technology advancing - there is a way of governing it's outcomes. I'm not sure this has been managed as well as it might have - in fact I'm positive it hasn't.

Someone bowling a 900 series is amazing... seeing this guy bowl... we its even more amazing... how he did that with that technique is just beyond me, but hey well done.. just remember Jason Gillespie scored 200 in test cricket.... anything can happen to anyone on there day.

Will I even bowl a 900 series.... doubt it, well prob better chance of winning the lotto....

Congrats to Jimmy.

When Mark Roth was bowling he used urethane on lacquer lanes, back in those days the game was about accuracy as the lanes didn't break down as much. Mark Roth generated more rotation than any other player at that time and was able to creat some angle down lane which most players couldnt. Not sure if you have thrown a urethane but they don't create much angle down lane (especially on old wood lanes). These days with our high tech gear bowlers on the PBA are moving in advance as most of the PBA patterns lack significant volume in the midlane. Todays game involves moving regularly due to the aggressive high tech gear we all bowl with. Most PBA pros rotation rates are very high (more than Roth) plus they are using technology that creates significant angle. It's a balancing act, put out a normal league shot with a bunch volume in the middle and then you'll see the pros score more than any PBA bowler from the 70's.

Back
Top Bottom