Emerson Shield 2009

your unbelievable

make rachuig, can't get a word out of you

miss rachuig, now you can't shut up

are you enjoying mingling with the common folk all of a sudden???

very quiet on here for less than a week out from northern zone final with southern final the following week. Guess everyone's gone south for the winter hibernation

Adam Hayes taking a new pill and no golf clubs to Wodonga..... Melton must be taking it serious!

I just think Hayesy is soft!:surrender:

The 2008 Emerson Shield attracted a grand total of 30 teams (16 mens and 14 women's teams) all of which paid a $350 entry fee for the zone finals to determine the top 10 team in each division which then went on to bowl the finals at Epping in November...

Out of this $350 per team, $200 was taken out for lineage, leaving $150 per team to go into a "finals prize fund" and expense fee.

$150 x 30 = $4,500 to be accounted for. The finals cost each team a $450 entry fee. The entire sum going to lineage, with no additional "prize monies"

I spoke with a number of bowlers at the finals and to a man, they all told me that in past years whenever he was asked about the payout, Ray Hodges would not provide a clear answer. Below, are copies of my emails, showing the financial breakdown which was grudgingly provided to me (after a number of emails requests) by Ray Hodge of Goldpin Victoria. As you can see, there is still quite a bit of "prize money" which has not been awarded.

I asked Ray Hodge for a breakdown of the entry fees for the Emerson and this is what I got ....
The collective cost was;

Prizemoney $1000
Shirts $ 700
Medallions $ 900
Admin $ 600

Total $3200

At which point I questioned Ray, asking what happened to the other $1,300 and I received this answer.

"The extra money is not actually extra but an internal adjustment between the centres and Goldpin which is done periodically"
In speaking with a few of the Goldpin member centres, I've been told that they have no idea what this means. If the money is being used to subsidise the prize funds of other Goldpin tournaments, then it is forbidden by TBA rule #813-1
All prize money collected in an event will be returned to the participants in that event. Certificates, medallions or trophies required in addition to cash prizes for an event may be purchased out of that event’s prize fund.

I brought this up with the TBA, who I thought were supposed to look after the bowler's welfare and Gillian rang me back saying she had no problem with any of this since the cash payout ($1000) and distribution and number of medallions was listed in the Emerson Rules which each centre received.

Her words were, "the bowlers knew the payout going in and it was their decision whether or not to bowl". Additionally, she said that it was NOT the responsibility of the TBA to look after its members, but that each bowler was responsible for their own well being.

I really feel cheated that Goldpin kept $1,900 or 42% of the prize monies as "expenses" and extremely disappointed that this can and does happen under the watchful eye of our Sport's National Governing Body

I believe if the actual figures were posted, ie 42% of the prize fund NOT being returned, then they'd be of a different mind....

I chose not to bowl the Emerson Shield again because of the above situation..
now it's your choice as well.

Conspiracy theory?........The facts are all there. You decide if it's right or wrong.

Did you bother to ask what "The extra money is not actually extra but an internal adjustment between the centres and Goldpin which is done periodically" means or did you just assume it is bad.

You have been sitting on this since at least December of last year so the least you could do was find out the details on anything that looks a bit wrong instead of just posting it in the "raw" for people to assume the worst. It may be an unwarranted payment to Goldpin or it could be something completely above board, neither of which you have the facts on.

So, why are you trying to discredit the running of Emerson?

Good luck and good bowling to all participants this weekend at Wodonga, Male and Female.
Look forward to ripping it up with my new ball. ;)

Back
Top Bottom