Clash of the titans this weekend

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
If you're a bowling fan you have to be super excited about the strongest field to gather in Australian bowling in the last 3 years who will battle it out this weekend in Sydney. With the world's best bowler Belmo leading the star studded field featuring more than12 ex and current Australian representatives it's set to be a cracker.

You want to be the best? You have beat the best and I truly can't wait to roll the arm over.

My prediction, a Storm trifecta and whitewash once again

That's why a app is the way to go. Updates thru out the tournament that's way everyone can see wat is going on.

I went over to watch the tournament on the weekend and to my disappointment seeing people bowling in shorts and tee shirts. If the sport wants to become professional how about you dress the correct way. I thought it was a national tournament not a league competition. I suggest we go back to a proper dress code and the sport my get a few more spectators in to watch. Just my thoughts.
Cheers Lovey

I'd be more concerned about an event with a great prizefund and a talented field only getting 38 entries.
Competitive bowling is on life support.
The atmosphere was nonexistent, and a few glitches and poor decisions on social play being too close certainly didn't help.
Can't say I've had to step off the approach due to someone doing a break dance on the approach next to me before!
Fingers crossed for a miracle to turn things around.

So lovey the entry form had the standard dress code below which states dress shorts were ok but nothing about tshirts (although "suitable shirt" is a bit ambiguous). I wasn't there so can't say but it has been sneaking in for a while now. When was the last person refused entry based on attire??

• Dress Code entrants are permitted to wear long pants, dress shorts and a suitable shirt. Jeans, 3/4 length pants, cargo pants or tracksuit pants are not permitted. The Tournament Director will make the final decision regarding appropriate attire.

They should of been told to go get the right dress were b4 getting to bowl. The dress code is in the TBA rules and if the TD don't In force it bowlers are not going to care. But being a

Last year at the GC Cup a bowler turned up wearing a t-shirt I told him to get the right shirt on or can't bowl. If u going to set rules for a tournament as TD u have to stick by them. It's the same as turning up late for check In on finals day one min late ur out.

Dress code needs to be stricter (and enforced). Something along the lines of what the PBA had a while back is what I would personally like to see.

• All shirts must have a collar (crew neck collar to be no less than 1 inch in height)
  • All shirts must be tucked (exception full button down shirts)
  • Belts must be worn with all pants/Dress shorts with belt loops
  • Belt colour must match colour of pants/dress shorts

"Belt colour must match colour of pants/dress shorts"

If we stopped those wearing white belts, we would halve the current low numbers we already get though

Reactions: CT
Amazing!!! I really can't believe that the clothing is the major topic of discussion after this tournament. To me the two major issues were the number of bowlers (or lack thereof) and the lack of appropriate spectator seating. I love the facility, it is bright and clean, but if you are going to have a professional tournament then you really must have seating for spectators.. Nobody is going to want to stand from 9:00am to 3:00pm.

Reactions: CT
Serious Question then...what was the cause of such a low number of entries?

Was it scheduling?
The fee to enter?
The format?
The calibre of the field scaring bowlers off?

Thoughts...

I think advertising was a factor in it. And the entry fee was that the highest one this year?

"Belt colour must match colour of pants/dress shorts"

If we stopped those wearing white belts, we would halve the current low numbers we already get though

I sometimes wear a white belt but it doesn't take much to get a black one. I only used what the PBA had in place about 10 years ago, I think they have relaxed their regulations.

I went over to watch the tournament on the weekend and to my disappointment seeing people bowling in shorts and tee shirts. If the sport wants to become professional how about you dress the correct way. I thought it was a national tournament not a league competition. I suggest we go back to a proper dress code and the sport my get a few more spectators in to watch. Just my thoughts.
Cheers Lovey
If you are suggesting trousers then I disagree, women can wear short shorts, mini skirts etc.. And what can only be described as glorified singlets (sleeveless shirts). I for one don't want my knee bend, back swing or follow through restricted by clothing. I believe collars on shirts should be a minimum (for both men and women), and shorts should be dress type, but not in hear that is in any way restrictive or to hot...

Serious Question then...what was the cause of such a low number of entries?

Was it scheduling?
The fee to enter?
The format?
The calibre of the field scaring bowlers off?

Thoughts...
My two pence....

I think the issue is money... National tournament with a first prize of $3,000 means interstate bowlers have to win to cover costs. As for the local bowlers, entry fees of between $250-$300 for these types of events can be a bit daunting when they won't cash if a dozen good bowlers do make it to the tournament.

The most supported/ highly attended tournaments will be those with big prizefunds. That means sponsorship.

Bowling alleys aren't non-profit organisations and expect the tournament organisers to get the prize money (almost exclusively from bowling entry fees), and they support tournaments by giving good game rates..

Two suggestions for increasing prize funds:
1. Obtain sponsorship
2. Cheaper entry fees to tournaments (encouraging far more entries)

While option 2 seems like it will decrease prize funds, this won't necessarily be the case as you could run a tournament that has qualified in 3 game blocks for weeks or even months before the tournament.

League bowlers could be charged an extra $10 on their league, 100% going into prize funds. Other bowlers could have as many $35 entry attempts as.they want. Anyone who makes the top 24 (just for example) then pay $100 to play in stage 2. cut to top 10 or 12 (after 6 games) for stage 3 - top 5 stepladder.

Just some figures thrown in for example. But point being if you can get more people having a go it will increase prize funds.

As for sponsorship. When is the last time any of us (me included) actively sought sponsorship?

All of the great Aussie tourneys of old had sponsors, right back to the TAA South Pacific Classic! Lol...

Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom