BUMPER BOWLING - Good or bad for the sport

JIMBOB

Regular
Have the introduction of Bumpers been good or bad for the sport? Oh and I'm not talking about the lane condition type, just the rails that stick up from the gutter. Why would kids fall in love with the game/sport if they can get a strike by playing ping pong 4 or 5 times off the bumpers. It is like playing soccer with the goal posts from sideline to sideline, because everyone loves to kick a goal! I feel like they have a place with disabled persons, birthday parties and maybe under 10's social bowling but for adults give me a break!

Yes, everything you say, is right from the point of view of the 'sport'. However, seeing that there can be no 'sport' without bowling centres, and bumper bowling has now been part of the 'entertainment income' which is a dominant part of the centre income for, I don't know exactly, but not less than 30?? years, better learn to live with it.
By the way, I realise that it doesn't provide any sort of path from social to serious bowling : indeed may detract from it, but I can see no solution
When the lightest ball was 10lb., and there was no bumper bowling, I saw for myself how there was a natural path, followed by many into leagues in their centre. That was then. This is now. It's called reality.

Yes Roy - they do - terrible, isn't it? 18 yr. old males - built like bodybuilders, with a 10 or 11lb ball --- with BUMPERS !!

I think they have their place. Kids might use them but honestly how many strikes do you see off the bumpers, very few, but how many more smiles do you see when the kids can bowl and hit some pins they love it. Bring them to the bowl and watch nearly every ball go into the gutter and mum and dad say stuff this its a waste of money we are not coming back.
Bowling is about fun and enjoyment we shouldn't loose site of this.
We are not all tournament bowlers share the fun, when you see a little 1 next to you using bumpers get a spare say well done, give them 5, help them enjoy the environment they are in!

Bumpers are only a recent inovation. When we and our kids started out they didnt exist. There was a time however, when large sausage type contraptions were laid in the gutters to keep the balls on the lanes. This I guess was the fore runner of bumpers.

However the fact is that Bowling centres are a business and bumpers do keep the kids happy and coming back.

But I dont believe in 'Bumper Leagues' and youngsters over eight using the bumpers even in social play.

If a center decides to go 'bumper free', for junior leagues or social play, then competent instructers (like the good old days) must be provided or you take the risk of loosing frutrated players because they cant keep the ball on the lane.

But why the question JimBob .. they have bumpers in SA dont they?

Yes we do have bumpers in S.A, we are not they far behind the eastern states LOL!We use them because is it necessary to the business, we even keep the old air conditioner ducts for those adults that refuse to bowl without them! If kids under 10 bowl without the bumpers we even offer a prize for the dedication to play the game how it was meant to be played.The higher the score the bigger the prize!
The question was asked because I believe it is one of the factors that bowling has suffered a decline. If kids had to earn that strike or spare instead of having it gifted to them, they may appreciate the sport/game more. What other games/sports have done this. Here are some examples- would pool/snooker be better if the pockets were 5 times bigger would it attract more players? imagine golf with the greens sloped to go into the cup? This would make it easier but better???

Yes we do have bumpers in S.A, we are not they far behind the eastern states LOL!We use them because is it necessary to the business, we even keep the old air conditioner ducts for those adults that refuse to bowl without them! If kids under 10 bowl without the bumpers we even offer a prize for the dedication to play the game how it was meant to be played.The higher the score the bigger the prize!
The question was asked because I believe it is one of the factors that bowling has suffered a decline. If kids had to earn that strike or spare instead of having it gifted to them, they may appreciate the sport/game more. What other games/sports have done this. Here are some examples- would pool/snooker be better if the pockets were 5 times bigger would it attract more players? imagine golf with the greens sloped to go into the cup? This would make it easier but better???
.social play in any sport is never monitored so whether or not a junior bowler has bumpers for encouragement who cares as long as their enjoying themselves and if centres like yours offers other encouragements even better .ive played golf with players who prefer their lyes watch social players hit off 100 yards in front of members, i watch people in pubs who think their pool sharks on pub tables that are short and with bigger pockets,this all makes these sports easier . all sports in general have a serious side and the social player.

Bumpers are only a recent inovation. When we and our kids started out they didnt exist. There was a time however, when large sausage type contraptions were laid in the gutters to keep the balls on the lanes. This I guess was the fore runner of bumpers.
I remember we had those early on at Caboolture, like extra long, crinkled air con ducting, terrible things.

Like I said Dave, I cant cop Bumper leagues .. social play for the very young ones is in some way acceptable. They come in with their parents and, as I'm sure you have observed, will soon get sick of dumping balls in the gutter. The up side is that your amusment machines get an extra workout. A likely comment from their parents "why did I spend that amount of money on bowling when all they want to do is play those machines?"

They wont be back!

With bumpers in social play (and only for the very young) there is a strong possibility that they will get the 'bug' and want to join a league. As I said earlier this where you step in, using your managerial skills (I know you have them), and explain how league play works. You give the reasons why there will be no bumpers and assure the kids and their parents that 'instructors' will help them to get the most out of the sport.

Michael, that Idea for Air Conditioning Bumpers came from Ireland, we had an Irish Head Tech working at Balgowlah at the time. I remember we had Blow up Bumpers in 1969 at Fairfield, only enough for 2 lanes, unfortunately they always leaked Air.

Without Bumpers nobody let their under 5 kids Bowl, they would only let them throw a couple of shots but the more Bumpers became prevalent the more under 5's bowled and the more birthday parties were held.

As for Adults bowling on them, they are not built to withstand that sort of treatment, anybody that allows Adults Bowl at them will regret it when they break and can't be used for the Children.

willey

As a youngster at Warrawong in the mid 80s we had mats that rolled out 25-30ft and i started bowling from there, no bumpers.

Got an advantage by starting halfway but still had to learn the value of targeting and control.

Not really viable for social play but good for young kids leagues to get them learning and have a bit better chance of hitting pins

Back
Top Bottom