TBA ???? GOOD or BAD

IM sorry but I just cant use Crisis and sport in the same sentence.
Why do you think that our sport is not in crissis, do we have a major sponsor, do we have any recognised event, our own champions are not known beyond the sport. do we taske our sport as serious as Asia or US no we dont. everything that is done hear is not for the good of the sport as I said, it is not even recognised as a sport for people that do not bowl they look at it as a social event. Please lets make it real lets promote our Sport and get it the recognition it deserves

On an invisible budget, no less.
Geoff, no disrespect but nobody can achieve this on no money and I'm pretty certain most TBA members and executive value the power of a media budget as poorly as you do.
TBA have 1 person doing a mainly volunteer job while a once in a lifetime opportunity passes by. What do you expect ?
I can easily see the lack of Tenpin Bowling's media presence, not due to Lynne Clay's lack of work, but squarely due to her lack of a suitable budget.
If TBA had to forego any part of their current budget in order to divert funds into their media presence, the exercise would pay significant benefits well beyond whatever funds spent. Now, right now, it's time to strike while the iron is hot...and the iron has never been hotter in Australia.
Seems to me, many people on here have only their own self interest and not for the good of all in the sport..what a pity !

Why do you think that our sport is not in crissis, do we have a major sponsor, do we have any recognised event, our own champions are not known beyond the sport. do we taske our sport as serious as Asia or US no we dont. everything that is done hear is not for the good of the sport as I said, it is not even recognised as a sport for people that do not bowl they look at it as a social event. Please lets make it real lets promote our Sport and get it the recognition it deserves

You missed my point completely, I agree with your opinion on the issues Tenpin Bowling has in this country, but calling it a crisis is wrong. At the end of the day its a sport. Nothing 'crisis' about it.

Comparing the US and Asia to Australia cant be done for soooo many reasons.

The TBA have no money to do the things suggested in this thread.

(start sarcasm here)
How about we raise the membership fee and make it mandatory to become a member to bowl in league, that would help wouldn't it?
(end sarcasm here)

You missed my point completely, I agree with your opinion on the issues Tenpin Bowling has in this country, but calling it a crisis is wrong. At the end of the day its a sport. Nothing 'crisis' about it.

Comparing the US and Asia to Australia cant be done for soooo many reasons.

The TBA have no money to do the things suggested in this thread.

(start sarcasm here)
How about we raise the membership fee and make it mandatory to become a member to bowl in league, that would help wouldn't it?
(end sarcasm here)

Roysa,

I do not mean come accros that way, but why can't the TBA work in tandem with local centres to promote our sport.
Local bowling centres have just as much to gain by the promotion of our sport, why cant they help and contribute by promoting it as a school sport, and have inter school challenges get the youth involved and they will bring their parents along and help us grow. It has to be a organised proffessional programme that can be done at a minmal cost.
But we need to get accredited coaches back into all of the centres and be able to assist the youth to develope and grow with a clear line of progression.

I am not out to attack anyone, but I do want to see our sport be just that rather than a social event. Lets get the conversation started in this forum. Please let's try to build ideas to help our sport maybe someone from the TBA will take it on board an do something that doesn't cost huge dollars, but go back to basics and who knows we might get some major sponsors back into our game.

On an invisible budget, no less.
Geoff, no disrespect but nobody can achieve this on no money and I'm pretty certain most TBA members and executive value the power of a media budget as poorly as you do.
TBA have 1 person doing a mainly volunteer job while a once in a lifetime opportunity passes by. What do you expect ?
I can easily see the lack of Tenpin Bowling's media presence, not due to Lynne Clay's lack of work, but squarely due to her lack of a suitable budget.
If TBA had to forego any part of their current budget in order to divert funds into their media presence, the exercise would pay significant benefits well beyond whatever funds spent. Now, right now, it's time to strike while the iron is hot...and the iron has never been hotter in Australia.
Seems to me, many people on here have only their own self interest and not for the good of all in the sport..what a pity !

No disrespect taken
Most of the membership money collected goes on running the Sport , in terms of compliance and Amdim costs which
include office staff and rent
Other funding is given by the Government for specific expenditure, like a National Coach and elite schemes.
The administration of the sport is based on people who do stuff for Free !!!!
Lots of people have lots of ideas and opinions, which is great.. However we don't see too many do anything to help
No disrespect intended...

Cheers
Geoff

Hey Geoff

How many have paid their 2013 membership so far?

How many of those are league and how many silver?

(start sarcasm here)
(end sarcasm here)

Why does that need to be said sarcastically? Surely we all know our membership is peanuts compared to other sports. We should increase it to $100 MINIMUM, more likely $200 to help our sport...................alas, the MAJORITY of our members, whinge and grumble at having to pay a measley $30...................

No disrespect taken
Most of the membership money collected goes on running the Sport , in terms of compliance and Amdim costs which
include office staff and rent
Other funding is given by the Government for specific expenditure, like a National Coach and elite schemes.
The administration of the sport is based on people who do stuff for Free !!!!
Lots of people have lots of ideas and opinions, which is great.. However we don't see too many do anything to help
No disrespect intended...

Cheers
Geoff
I'm here, trying to enlist a community of bowlers into helping their sport. Yes, I too have some ideas to give back to a sport I started playing at 9yo. I have already started to put my money into some of those ideas and I have also been contacting people in higher places,behind the scenes trying to generate a consensus to move the sport beyond the passtime/ fringe sport that bowling is currently into something everyone considers a legitimate sport, one where the skill required to play well is recognized and respected as a real sporting challenge.
Public perception can be changed and there has never been a better chance of that happening as now.
I can give logical (to me) reasons why we are in the state/situation/disaster/etc that exists and most is due to public perception.
If bowling were considered a "real" sport, there would be some prestige in doing it well. Ask friends and family to watch you play finals in your local comp...you are likely to not ask and they are likely to not attend because bowling is not considered true sport, only something to do week nights. How can it be real sport if your Gran beats you with handicap
Notice how friends and family are happy to spectate a local footy/netball/hockey/etc match or especially a final (even in bad weather) Yet bowling ...never.
Notice how all "sports" can easily require all participants to join the national body, but in bowling we are so unsure of the legitimacy as a "sport" we are not game to make membership compulsory.
Notice how AMF and other Centres are unsure if bowling "sport" as a product to sell is worth anything above its social bowling product they dont see value in making it compulsory to join the TBA. They give a discount on your bowling as a regular who they know will turn up every week, but they dont think you joining the national sporting body will help their profits..If they saw value for them, they would make all league bowlers join.
I could go on and on, but I'm already boring people.
Anyhow, things can change, throwing a bit of budget towards Lynne Clay could go a long way to helping all the above and more.
Want to join in doing something ?

Why does that need to be said sarcastically? Surely we all know our membership is peanuts compared to other sports. We should increase it to $100 MINIMUM, more likely $200 to help our sport...................alas, the MAJORITY of our members, whinge and grumble at having to pay a measley $30...................

That was my point. Hence the sarcasm.

I'm here, trying to enlist a community of bowlers into helping their sport. Yes, I too have some ideas to give back to a sport I started playing at 9yo. I have already started to put my money into some of those ideas and I have also been contacting people in higher places,behind the scenes trying to generate a consensus to move the sport beyond the passtime/ fringe sport that bowling is currently into something everyone considers a legitimate sport, one where the skill required to play well is recognized and respected as a real sporting challenge.
Public perception can be changed and there has never been a better chance of that happening as now.
I can give logical (to me) reasons why we are in the state/situation/disaster/etc that exists and most is due to public perception.
If bowling were considered a "real" sport, there would be some prestige in doing it well. Ask friends and family to watch you play finals in your local comp...you are likely to not ask and they are likely to not attend because bowling is not considered true sport, only something to do week nights. How can it be real sport if your Gran beats you with handicap
Notice how friends and family are happy to spectate a local footy/netball/hockey/etc match or especially a final (even in bad weather) Yet bowling ...never.
Notice how all "sports" can easily require all participants to join the national body, but in bowling we are so unsure of the legitimacy as a "sport" we are not game to make membership compulsory.
Notice how AMF and other Centres are unsure if bowling "sport" as a product to sell is worth anything above its social bowling product they dont see value in making it compulsory to join the TBA. They give a discount on your bowling as a regular who they know will turn up every week, but they dont think you joining the national sporting body will help their profits..If they saw value for them, they would make all league bowlers join.
I could go on and on, but I'm already boring people.
Anyhow, things can change, throwing a bit of budget towards Lynne Clay could go a long way to helping all the above and more.
Want to join in doing something ?

I have been in the Sport for 43 years, Bowled a lot , owned a Centre etc

The sport is very different today compared to 40 years ago, not saying we should go back there
but it was more interesting to follow... that was the case because the top bowlers of the day had
plenty of people keen to go and watch them... Scores were different to league bowling...
Today league bowlers often bowl better scores than the top bowlers,,,,, SO what is to see !!!!

Back then with the ATBC we had 130,000 members and it just happened as a matter of course
The rise and fall of the ATBC is another story, one that pissess people off still today and has
an effect still on the TBA

TV and bowling would be fantastic, not sure it could happen without a lot of money, TBA dont have it

In terms of helping personally I can tell you that I have personally put approx $3000 into the NSW TBA
by way of Lane measuring and sponsored a number of bowlers for at least $5000.
I have spent time on the NSW TBA Board and found it incredibly frustrating to deal with some people
who have their own agendas....

This is not an easy fix

Cheers
Geoff

Finally it has come out, Geoff posted "I have spent time on the NSW TBA Board and found it incredibly frustrating to deal with some people
who have their own agendas"
I have heard this a few times before from well known people in the bowling community. Who are these people getting into positions of authority in the the TBA?. The only "agenda" should be returning Bowling to its former glory.
It has been mentioned that we don't want to pay a measly $30 membership, this in my case is true, but let me point out that i have just committed at least $1500 to a tournament that is not even run in my state....I do this, because i believe in the product. It was run professionally, was value for money and i saw the benefit it contributing to help it run, NOW, having said that I would gladly hand over my hard earned cash if the same could be said about the TBA.

Let me give you an example, I work away on a FIFO roster, mind you this type of work force is increasing dramatically. I approached the state run TBA and explained to them that i would not have the require number of league game under my belt due to my work situation but I would really like to have a go at qualifying for the Rachuig. The answer was "sorry we can help you".
Well let me tell you something TBA... Me and my money CANT and WONT HELP YOU!
As i said before, the money with i put up for the tournament is nothing compared to the money the company i work for is willing to throw in. So I am looking at running a tournament and it will NOT be sanctioned or accredited and the way i feel about the TBA i might even give a discount to bowlers who are not TBA registered.
When i stop hearing about people that are running our sport and their hidden agendas, then me and my sponsorship will happily pump money into a non bias governing body that selects bowlers on ability only and not "whos in with the clique crowd". Our sport is not welcoming to everybody at the higher level and this much change

Rant over

Finally it has come out, Geoff posted "I have spent time on the NSW TBA Board and found it incredibly frustrating to deal with some people
who have their own agendas"
I have heard this a few times before from well known people in the bowling community. Who are these people getting into positions of authority in the the TBA?. The only "agenda" should be returning Bowling to its former glory.
It has been mentioned that we don't want to pay a measly $30 membership, this in my case is true, but let me point out that i have just committed at least $1500 to a tournament that is not even run in my state....I do this, because i believe in the product. It was run professionally, was value for money and i saw the benefit it contributing to help it run, NOW, having said that I would gladly hand over my hard earned cash if the same could be said about the TBA.

Let me give you an example, I work away on a FIFO roster, mind you this type of work force is increasing dramatically. I approached the state run TBA and explained to them that i would not have the require number of league game under my belt due to my work situation but I would really like to have a go at qualifying for the Rachuig. The answer was "sorry we can help you".
Well let me tell you something TBA... Me and my money CANT and WONT HELP YOU!
As i said before, the money with i put up for the tournament is nothing compared to the money the company i work for is willing to throw in. So I am looking at running a tournament and it will NOT be sanctioned or accredited and the way i feel about the TBA i might even give a discount to bowlers who are not TBA registered.
When i stop hearing about people that are running our sport and their hidden agendas, then me and my sponsorship will happily pump money into a non bias governing body that selects bowlers on ability only and not "whos in with the clique crowd". Our sport is not welcoming to everybody at the higher level and this much change

Rant over
So it was your state TBA that wouldn't help you not the TBA office? I would suggest going up a few ranks and speaking to head office about it. Most of the people running the state organisations are volunteers.

I have the time to volunteer....in fact, I tried getting on the TBA board a few years ago, but didn't get one vote. I may not be the most liked person in the sport, but I can assure you that I have NO HIDDEN AGENDAS. I want what's best for ALL BOWLERS.
In fact, let me be the Australian head coach thereby saving the TBA $40,000+

Does anybody know how to get on the TBA, or become a state base organiser? is it a vote system or is it a matter of just putting your had up or worst still "jobs for friends"

wchester, im sorry to hear you tried but failed. It should not be about being like, it should be about what you bring to the sport!

Does anybody know how to get on the TBA, or become a state base organiser? is it a vote system or is it a matter of just putting your had up or worst still "jobs for friends"

You are in S.A. ??? don't know.... I have been told sytems etc are perfect over there

Back
Top Bottom