TBA ???? GOOD or BAD

Tenpin had a perfectly good advertising outlet in the Tenpin Bowling Show. TBA let that slide. And like you Carlos, I too am a bit fed up with the overall efforts of raising the profile of the sport.

I notice as of late, there has been a great effort to get Sean Rash, Parker Bohn III and their Brunswick Brand Manager out to Adelaide later in the year - that will create somewhat of a buzz. Much like 2011's Nationals where there were several internationals that attended (mainly because it was on the WBT, and sadly we may never experience that again as it's no longer on the WBT calendar). Joe Slowinski (one of only 20-odd Gold Level USBC coaches worldwide) will also be coming out to Melbourne in October.

As a whole, I think too much is being done by too many individuals.....(not knocking the efforts of the individuals at all - I was one of them) and the responsibility - or blame, if you will - has to rest with those at the top. Yes, many may be volunteers, but we need people who are engaged, qualified and able to steer this ship. If they need to be paid positions, make them paid - and make every bowler a TBA member to fund it.

As for the Social Networking policy, I received an official warning from TBA after my outburst following the 2012 State Masters. To be honest, I didn't even know about it's existence (it had been in place for 2 weeks, and I sure as hell didn't receive a notification from TBA - but it was "available on the TBA website") but it didn't take them long to start enforcing it.........My advice? I would be very careful about what you say on this forum. Say whatever you like, but keep it factual.

Sure the TBA can release a Media Policy (I just read it) but TBA don't have any ability to limit what people say on a website that isn't run by them Michael.

Its nice of them to provide guidelines, but the reality is most people (non TBA staff) don't have anything to lose by commenting on the actions or non actions of the TBA regardless of what the Media Policy says.

They do threaten removal of membership but really what impact does that have on 99% of members?

So true Michael. I would have thought the TBA would do very thing in their power to keep the show going. It was such a good form of advertisement for the sport. So I ask again....what are they "actually" doing for the sport, other than collecting their "TAX"

Do you really think the TenPin Bowling show would generate new people into the sport

In reality who was watching it???
BOWLERS

Not Knocking the show I used to watch it religiously

Sure the TBA can release a Media Policy (I just read it) but TBA don't have any ability to limit what people say on a website that isn't run by them Michael.

Its nice of them to provide guidelines, but the reality is most people (non TBA staff) don't have anything to lose by commenting on the actions or non actions of the TBA regardless of what the Media Policy says.

They do threaten removal of membership but really what impact does that have on 99% of members?
Yes they cant control what you say but I know they are definitely banning bowlers from bowling anything accredited due to what they have said about bowling

Do you really think the TenPin Bowling show would generate new people into the sport

In reality who was watching it???
BOWLERS

Not Knocking the show I used to watch it religiously

I think you will find that a lot of non bowlers also watched the show, a few of my work colleagues loved tuning in every week to watch the bowling on channel 31

I think you will find that a lot of non bowlers also watched the show, a few of my work colleagues loved tuning in every week to watch the bowling on channel 31

Do they now bowl ? Did you try to introduce them to a local league ? If they declined your invitation do you know why ? Can you suggest how, if the Bowling Show was back on tv, could non bowling viewers be turned into league bowlers ?

For as good a job as the bowling show did during it's time on channel 31, It wasn't accessible to everyone. I know that you could watch TBS on youtube, even on the ch31 website but how many others would have known? I remember watching the Coca cola classic on channel 9 during the cricket break and that's what got me interested, they even had ads for AMF during the breaks and as silly as it sounds I still remember the ads as well. That is also something that you don't see much of these days, advertising on TV... If TBS was on mainstream TV, I'm sure then it might have generated more numbers...

Yes they cant control what you say but I know they are definitely banning bowlers from bowling anything accredited due to what they have said about bowling

So instead of working with peoples objections, which may or may not be legit they ban people?

That will bring the crowds back.

If TBS was on mainstream TV, I'm sure then it might have generated more numbers...
All comes down to money. and that is the sole responsibility of the hierarchy to raise it.

TBS were a budget production, and the job Tony and the crew did (with the limited resources available to him) was nothing short of amazing. He produced 224 shows and secured prime time slots on community television. And seeing as there is no more analogue TV anymore, availability to the show will increase to the masses as access to digital TV is everywhere. Shows made readily available to anyone on YouTube - for FREE.

With local bowling centres' support in advertising bowling 'in house' on TV to social players, recruiting social players to league level thus increasing membership base.....I definitely see TBS as a suitable vehicle to help get us there.

For as good a job as the bowling show did during it's time on channel 31, It wasn't accessible to everyone. I know that you could watch TBS on youtube, even on the ch31 website but how many others would have known? I remember watching the Coca cola classic on channel 9 during the cricket break and that's what got me interested, they even had ads for AMF during the breaks and as silly as it sounds I still remember the ads as well. That is also something that you don't see much of these days, advertising on TV... If TBS was on mainstream TV, I'm sure then it might have generated more numbers...

For $6.50 you get 2 games, shoe hire, hot dog, fries and a coke!

It hooked my whole family. The sport needs TV advertising and the bowling show. It is a shame we have neither.

TBA Urgently need to divert whatever funds available into an increased Media Budget.

Bowling in Australia is experiencing an an exceptional period of opportunity to promote the sport

Bowling in Australia has never had a better opportunity to promote our sport thanks to the exploits of Jason Belmonte. To take full advantage of this rare event, TBA and all its members should be unanimous in approving increased spending on Media funding.
It is such a no brainer, I dont understand why someone else has not voiced this opinion much sooner.
If Lynne Clay (TBA Media Manager) were given a reasonable budget, a great deal more could be done to capitalize right across Australia.

Other sports have in past seen significant take-up rates of new people joining a sport when there has been exposure in mass media. Bowling as a whole, TBA, Centres along with every day bowlers could all benefit by having greater numbers participating in bowling.
The flow on effect of benefits to all stake-holders would more than justify the spend.

Please, Talk to your Centre Manager, contact TBA, talk to other bowlers and convince all who will listen that we should not allow such a superb opportunity pass us by.
TBA, Independent and Corporate Managers should be discussing ways to fund a special project revolving around this. Something like this could be leveraged into a bigger and better Bowling Sport. If allowed to lapse without taking full advantage, people will ask in the future, how did we allow such a lack of foresight to eventuate.

Edit, I think this subject important enough, I have decided to repeat post on the Media Release post, hoping more members will see it.

For $6.50 you get 2 games, shoe hire, hot dog, fries and a coke!

It hooked my whole family. The sport needs TV advertising and the bowling show. It is a shame we have neither.

Problem is now it is...

For $15 you get one game, shoe hire (if they ask you to wear them), no dog, no fries and no coke.

True inflation always occurs after 30 odd years but mistagear is spot on.

Now is the time to use leverage that Belmo is getting with his PBA exploits, the great up and coming talents we have in Oz at present and get into heavy media advertising. I saw the Annual report on TBA website and was shocked to find no information about budgets for media advertising or related subject matter. Someone tell me if i am wrong but i found nothing.

This sure does need to change. TV is very powerful. Word of mouth however is even more powerful. Thoughts?

True inflation always occurs after 30 odd years but mistagear is spot on.

Now is the time to use leverage that Belmo is getting with his PBA exploits, the great up and coming talents we have in Oz at present and get into heavy media advertising. I saw the Annual report on TBA website and was shocked to find no information about budgets for media advertising or related subject matter. Someone tell me if i am wrong but i found nothing.

This sure does need to change. TV is very powerful. Word of mouth however is even more powerful. Thoughts?

Reality !! TBA could afford 3 adverts on the TV then go broke
Sorry but for the very , very little we pay for membership in this Sport
we get what we pay for, which is administration, full stop

Whe
Reality !! TBA could afford 3 adverts on the TV then go broke
Sorry but for the very , very little we pay for membership in this Sport
we get what we pay for, which is administration, full stop

When I say "Media Budget" I dont mean pay for adverts. A savvy Media Manager can do a great deal to have news worthy pieces taken up by the major media corporations.
Bowling does not always have news worthy material. Having Jason currently achieving what he is doing, IS news worthy BUT nobody outside bowling will know unless you have someone who can make the right connections and put together the appropriate material to spoon feed it to news outlets.
You can do a great deal on a relatively small budget but bowling will gain no benefit unless you give your own media person SOME BUDGET to work with.
Every time Jason and others in our sport achieve a news worthy item, we need to have the TBA Media Dept write suitable script, assemble background material and provide vision in a slick package to the general media.

You need to make it so simple for the major news people that they are able to slot it into their broadcast without them having to do all the legwork... Thats what you need to give TBA's Media person a budget to do.
It does not take a huge budget and can return 100s percent greater than what it would cost.

Imagine if some packages were made specifically to distribute to every Bowl across the country. They could be run by the Bowl Staff to widen the general public's awareness through social bowlers and regulars.
These plus the releases to the media can capitalize on every opportunity to promote bowling.
Our Media Dept should be able to negotiate with Ardent Leisure, Corporate and Independent Managers to tailor packages for use in their advertising.
There is a huge amount that could be done to take advantage of the current situation.

I am truly dissapointed with the TBA the lack of direction shown from the senior levels it is disgusting, we have a sport that is not recognised. We have a sport that is in CRISSES and requires people that are at the top to be committed to improving our sport, I know that most of them volunteer but if they can not perform the duties why bother to hold the position. Lets get bowling back on top lets get quallified coaches in each centre lets go to schools and encourage our juniors and youth to take up the sport yes it is a sport lets treat it as one instead of a hobby we need to be proffessional about everthing we do and every event we hold get it right TBA

Whe

When I say "Media Budget" I dont mean pay for adverts. A savvy Media Manager can do a great deal to have news worthy pieces taken up by the major media corporations.
Bowling does not always have news worthy material. Having Jason currently achieving what he is doing, IS news worthy BUT nobody outside bowling will know unless you have someone who can make the right connections and put together the appropriate material to spoon feed it to news outlets.
You can do a great deal on a relatively small budget but bowling will gain no benefit unless you give your own media person SOME BUDGET to work with.
Every time Jason and others in our sport achieve a news worthy item, we need to have the TBA Media Dept write suitable script, assemble background material and provide vision in a slick package to the general media.

You need to make it so simple for the major news people that they are able to slot it into their broadcast without them having to do all the legwork... Thats what you need to give TBA's Media person a budget to do.
It does not take a huge budget and can return 100s percent greater than what it would cost.

Imagine if some packages were made specifically to distribute to every Bowl across the country. They could be run by the Bowl Staff to widen the general public's awareness through social bowlers and regulars.
These plus the releases to the media can capitalize on every opportunity to promote bowling.
Our Media Dept should be able to negotiate with Ardent Leisure, Corporate and Independent Managers to tailor packages for use in their advertising.
There is a huge amount that could be done to take advantage of the current situation.

Lynn Clay does all of that already !!!!

Back
Top Bottom