FORGET BECKHAM....TURN TO PAGE 108 ...

elsie

The cover of the November issue of Australia’s foremost sports magazine, INSIDE SPORT features the familiar profile of football superstar David Beckham. But turn to pages 108/109 for a glimpse into the world of Aussie tenpin hero, Jason Belmonte.

Headlined “Two Good” and illustrated with a stunning montage showing his ‘nonconformist’ bowling style, the article likens Belmonte to American athlete Dick Fosbury who revolutionised the high jump with a new technique.

“I love any sport with a ball. Ping-pong, touch footy, rugby, soccer. I played it all,” Belmonte told journalist, Bob Drane. “I was a big fan of Steve Waugh, Ricky Stuart, Benny Elias, who busted their guts every time they played. It opened my eyes. I could take the same wisdom and apply it to bowling,” Belmonte added.

“The biggest turn for me was when Warne came along. There was no leg spinner worthy of a spot in the Aussie team. Everyone wanted to be Thomson or Lillee….I thought, ‘I can do that with the way I bowl’, says Belmonte.

The story includes some interesting insights, and straightforward comments from Belmonte on his career, and his chosen sport of bowling.

“No-one knows how far a two-handed bowler can go – that’s part of the thrill of watching his career unfold…..sheer ability and the pluck to be different will take him as far as he wants to go,” concludes author, Bob Drane.

INSIDE SPORT magazine goes on sale today at newsagents throughout Australia.

#
Lynne Clay

Back
Top Bottom