Jason Belmonte on target for another historic career milestone

elsie

World #1 bowler, Jason Belmonte is on target for another historic career milestone.

Statistics published on the Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) website (http://www.pba.com/SeasonStats/) confirm the 30 year-old Aussie has over 63,000 points lead – more than double his nearest rival - in this year’s Tour season, setting the scene for back-to-back PLAYER OF THE YEAR titles.

Hailing from Orange in regional NSW, his career has reached unprecedented heights in the sport of tenpin bowling at international level, and Belmonte is poised to join the ranks of five other champions – Don Johnson, Earl Anthony, Mark Roth, Amleto Monacelli and Walter Ray Williams, Jr. – in accomplishing this feat.

Renowned as a leader and innovator with his ‘footy-pass’, two-handed bowling style and for his marketing savvy, Belmonte has notched innumerable ‘firsts’ in his stellar career since he burst into professional ranks as PBA Rookie of the Year in 2009. First Australian male champion of the coveted QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup (Johannesburg, 2011), and first Australian bowler to win a Major title on the PBA Tour (USBC Open, 2012) - which he successfully defended this year – are among numerous highlights in the lead up to his current role as reigning PBA PLAYER OF THE YEAR.

Fellow champion, Pete Weber who was last night awarded the 2014 ESPY accolade following a fan-based poll in the US, acknowledged Belmonte’s spectacular credentials. “It’s not necessarily based on whoever did the best bowling because Belmo should have won, hands down,” Weber told reporters afterwards.

During an interview with Megan Barnard on Fox Sports News this week covering various topics including a YouTube clip that’s logged almost 7 million hits, Belmonte disclosed his aspirations for future career benchmarks. “It’s been a remarkable 18 months and I almost enjoy pinching myself making sure it’s all real”, he quipped, adding the Triple Crown and Grand Slam are now firmly in his sights.

“Becoming the second-fastest player on the PBA Tour to win 10 Majors is an achievement I’m really proud of and certainly encourages me to continue the thrilling ride that the sport offers,” he said today.

ends

Back
Top Bottom