Jason Belmonte Wins ‘Best Bowler’ ESPY Accolade

elsie

Together with sporting stars including LeBron James, Serena Williams, Stephen Curry and Ronda Rousey, Australian tenpin bowler JASON BELMONTE was announced as the winner of one of just 32 coveted ESPY Awards in a glittering ceremony televised live globally from Los Angeles overnight.

The annual ESPY Awards assemble some of the biggest names in sports and entertainment to honour the best sporting achievements spanning the previous 12 months. The world’s largest sports network, ESPN acknowledges individual and team athletic achievement and the event draws a huge international audience.

Unlike other major award ceremonies like the Oscars or the Emmys, fans have a say in who gets to win an ESPY for their sporting accomplishments.

31 year-old Belmonte from Orange in NSW was one of three PBA stars nominated this year, along with PBA Hall of Famer Parker Bohn III of Jackson, New Jersey and Mike Fagan of Fort Worth, Texas.

Belmonte started the year in spectacular style by securing a second consecutive PBA Player of the Year Award in January, and two weeks later won the prestigious USBC MASTERS title for the third consecutive year - an unprecedented feat in the tournament’s 64-year history.

In February, he successfully defended his PBA Tournament of Champions title for his fifth career major, boosting his career win total to 12. He has also chalked up five other top-five finishes this year including runner-up finishes in the Oklahoma Open and Maine Xtra Frame Shootout.

"I'm absolutely delighted to have won my second ESPY,” said Belmonte. “The ESPY is all up to the fans and I am so thankful to all my fans who voted for me. I truly believe I have an amazing fan base and they make what I do so much more fun”.

“Congratulations to Mike and Parker on their nominations and thank you to the PBA for giving us a stage which we love to perform on”, he added.

ends

Back
Top Bottom