Bowling on a Sport Pattern, good article

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Bowling On The Sport Condition
03/19/2002 - By George Freeman

With the advent of Sport Leagues and Sport Conditions, bowlers that want a greater challenge are able to get just that, as long as there is a sport center near them. Even if there isn't, many tournaments are adopting sport conditions for certain higher end competitions. Much has been written and talked about in the short time the sport program has been available to the mass public, so here are some things to remember about the sport condition.

For one, understand that there is no one "Sport Condition". The sport program is a different set of criteria that must be adhered to for a particular pattern to be deemed "sport compliant". To oversimplify, a sport condition is a pattern that has a 2:1 ratio of oil or less. Meaning the oil in the middle of the lane cannot be more than double the oil applied to the outer edges of the lane. So you could have many different types of oil patterns that could be classified as sport compliant. For this reason, it would be impossible for me to say, "Here is how you play the sport condition".

I will say that to be effective on a sport condition, you need to be able to repeat the same shot over and over during the course of your league night. Since there is a much smaller margin of error for mistakes, you need to be able to minimize those mistakes. When you go into practice, try to hit the same target as many times as you can. Don't worry about where the ball goes on the lane, just worry about being able to hit your target. Unless you have the opportunity to practice on a sport condition, it really won't matter where the ball goes anyway, so just work on throwing it the same way over and over.

Also, when you bowl in a sport league or a tournament with the sport conditions on the lane, go in with the understanding that you probably aren't going to average 260. You're going to make mistakes, and some of those mistakes are going to be costly. Many times the difference between the winner and the runner up is how the player responds to a mistake. If you throw a bad shot and you get stung, recognize it for what it is, a bad shot, and move on. The sooner you can do that, the sooner you can get back on track to throwing good shots, because your brain won't be preoccupied with the bad shot you threw 5 frames ago. The player that makes the fewest mistakes in a situation like that more than likely will be the more successful.

Finally, keep the ball in play. Spares are a premium on a sport condition. When you go into practice, make sure to practice making spares. Even on full racks, practice going for corner pins, or throwing the ball straight at spares when you need to. Remember that score doesn't count in practice. Also, play within your own abilities. If you aren't practiced at playing 5th arrow on your normal league, chances are you aren't going to be able to do it on a sport pattern either. There is a time to work on something like that, and in the middle of competition is not the place to do it. That's what practice is for.

The sport condition is still fairly new, so learning all you can about it will give you a chance to understand it. Knowledge is power, especially in the sport of bowling.

The next sports condition tournie is on at Caboolture 4th August...what have you got to lose by trying a condition that is not your centre norm, something challenging enough to bring the thought processes back into the game? If a lower average bowler like myself is willing to part with her hard earned $70 (well, her old man's hard earned cash!) just to learn something new to advance my skill level to become a higher average bowler, then what have you not got to gain from it?

C'mon girls, this is not a blokes only tournie!!!!!

(jeff, keep my advertising percentage in the kitty for the prize fund !!!!
icon_wink.gif
)

Broni

Well this article sums it up in a nut shell. If you don't throw your shot over the same spot over and over you are going to be punished. Isn't this what bowling should be all about?
icon_rolleyes.gif
It's a great test of skill and I highly recommend those who haven't bowled in one, to try it. It is a true test of the bowlers ability and the results will speak for themselves. Give it a go.
icon_smile.gif

I would invite junior and youth bowlers who are half serious about the game to add a SPORT tournament to their learning curve. These events are great not only for the competition but to test your own skill level. You can practise all you want but there is no better way to evaluate your skill level than to give a SPORT event a go.

Jeff and Batesy run a tight ship up in Caboolture and new bowlers are actively welcome to participate and play. It only costs $70 and if you can finish in the top half of the field (yes 1 in 2), you'll get some money back. Give it a go!!!!
icon_smile.gif

The formation of a Sports series this year has come along with much anticipation and unfortunately a great deal of criticicm. I am probably a mid-range bowler at the moment but feel the sports condition is something different from the normal "house" bowling you get from other series.

It is quite dissapointing to see that it has been somewhat of a boys club thus far but I encourage any women to have a go. I shall be encouraging one extremely talented female to have a go - and look out boys when shes on she can outbowl anyone.
icon_cool.gif

chuckersanonymous you have stated that there is a great deal of criticism with the sport series. as the person running the series i would like to hear from all bowlers with any comments good bad it doesnt mater. the idea behind the series was it to be for the bowlers to bowl on challenging conditions and to test just how good we really are.
if someone has any idea's on how the series can grow i would love to hear them. this is the first series i have tried to run so any help would be good. if i have made misstakes let me now so it won't happen again.

as i said if someone isn't happy with the way things are running please post here or ring me on 32036372 or email me on [email protected] , i am running the series hoping it will grow and run for many years but if the bowlers dont want to bowl then so be it .

To the people casting criticism over the sports series.Instead of bagging the series without having bowled in it which is my guess.Why not get off your bums come out and give it a go.It is what the game should be about,not just being comfortable on your house ditch with your 200 whatever averages.You have to work for that score on these conditions,not just show up and get them.So my advice to chuckersanonymous would be to tell the people with the criticism to put up or shut up.
Till next time
Tryhard

Well said Gerald and Jeff I think you are doing a great job. If only all tournaments put down these conditions.
icon_smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom